Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP 400 Build

Hi all,

two years ago I bought some fragments of a Mirage Mk1 Countach body on eBay UK very cheaply and picked them up in Birmingham....
    I live near Munich Germany btw so it was quite a trip to fetch them, about 1300km one way!

I hadn't the time to do much with the parts until fairly recently.
    My aim is to build an LP 400 replica, that is the one without the wheel arches

The previous owner of the body had cut it up into quarters so he could store it in his small shed lol
    But fiberglass is easy to modify right? and I certainly have lots of modifying to do........

First thing I did was to cut off the arches and then mock it up on a Lotus Esprit chassis that I have, this plan might change though.
    Esprits have shot up in value and I might restore the car and convert to LHD after all.

Here are a couple of shots to get the ball rolling.......

Nick

Last edited by zagato750gt; 05-02-2016, 04:35 AM.

The next job was to join the quarters together. I decided to make bolting flanges so the body remains modular and not one piece like normal.

Comment

Now we are pretty much up to speed and I have filled in the arch openings.

My friend Nic printed out 1:1 templates from CAD so I had a cut line. Brilliant, thanks mate

The roof should be next which will get the 'Periscopo' modifications before it goes on.

I have an original full-size Countach windscreen so I will be losing the ugly and wide Mirage Mk1 A pillars thank god.

Comment

Nice project =)

Comment

Nick, thanks for sharing. There is something of a Countach resurgence on here right now, with two very well built LP400s being put together. A few of us are also building other detail obsessed Countach replicas. Good call on the windscreen, but don't forget to correct the roof line when you build the roof/doors/pillars..

Here to help, PM or message on this thread any time and I'll help where I can.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by K9COP View Post
            Nick, thanks for sharing. There is something of a Countach resurgence on here right now, with two very well built LP400s being put together. A few of us are also building other detail obsessed Countach replicas. Good call on the windscreen, but don't forget to correct the roof line when you build the roof/doors/pillars..

Here to help, PM or message on this thread any time and I'll help where I can.

K9
            The roof line will be addressed of course, in for a penny in for a pound

Thanks for the offer of help K9, I might just take you up on that later......

Nick

Comment

Nice project.

It will certainly be fun to see this beast come to life. Keep the updates coming.

I'll be following along with this one for sure.
              It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Comment

Welcome! The LP400 is a thing of beauty! Your fiber glassing skills are evident! Take care, Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Eddy View Post
                  Welcome! The LP400 is a thing of beauty! Your fiber glassing skills are evident! Take care, Eddy
                  Thanks Eddy

I am no expert just a hobbyist who is learning by doing.....I have built several kits before but nothing as adventurous as the LP400 project.

Fiber glassing is fun, hack a bit off, glass a bit on You just have to wait for temperatures to come up above 10 deg. German winters are damn cold!!!!

Cheers
                  Nick

Comment

Nick, just revisiting this. Looking at that Esprit you have, assuming it's an '89 post -Giugiaro 'soft-edge' Esprit, I think you're right. Restore/retain that...

I love the work you're doing on this, very cool, and I like the modular design, makes perfect sense.

We were actually approached by an OEM owner of an LP400 for some parts help, so there's plenty of knowledge around, and like I said, at least two VERY good LP400 builds going on, on here, right now.

There is also a good thread of a V8 Esprit conversion here... http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9648

PM sent.

K9

p.s. I have NAERC chassis design files I'm happy to share if you want them.
                    Last edited by K9COP; 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments chaps

I got some time to do some more at the weekend, Monday was a bank holiday here so some extra project time.

Here are a couple of shots of the progress......it has presence now I mocked it up at it's normal ride height.

I cut one A pillar and raised the roof an inch at the front, will do some more research and offer up my OEM size screen next, exciting!!!

r
                      Last edited by zagato750gt; 05-17-2016, 03:05 AM.

Comment

looks really good

Comment

It looks great so far. The lp400 is definitely the countach I would chose to replicate as well.

Comment

I am no expert here so please excuse my ignorance here, but I was curious. I understand you have things simply placed where they would essentially go, but would the rear wheels be tucked in so far or would they be pushed out a little more? Or is this all essentially resolved when wider rear tires are used.

Just curious.
                            It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Comment

Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
                              I am no expert here so please excuse my ignorance here, but I was curious. I understand you have things simply placed where they would essentially go, but would the rear wheels be tucked in so far or would they be pushed out a little more? Or is this all essentially resolved when wider rear tires are used.

Just curious.
                              The wheels are backwards as well... They're just put there to get an overall idea of the scale and rear wheel arch shape I'm sure. The width of the tire has little to do with how it how it fits with the body also, that's much more related to the wheel pad backspacing (offset) and the width of the rear axle measured hub to hub. Not trying to be rude to you but... come on.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X