Chupacabra build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chupacabra build

I don't do much on build threads but thought the Forum would like to see what a few thousand hours looked like. This is still many hours from being finished, the side Naca Ducts are not modeled yet nor is the rear spoiler and this is still the old size smaller tires. I have not posted on Youtube for awhile but last week I added a new video. In the next few days I will post another with the chassis pulled off of the jig.

Charley
    Attached Files

now THAT'S an exotic car with a genius behind it. Nice job

K9

Comment

Thank you Uncle Paul but I am STILL NOT GOING TO SEND YOU ANOTHER TWENTY BUCKS. The second new video is posted to Youtube and these pictures are of the engine mock-up to check accessory and belt clearance.
      Attached Files

Comment

Been eagerly awaiting your build thread Charlie ! Looking good !

The first build video can be found here

https://youtu.be/eM4dXdOMaSc

If the link doesn't work on your phone or computer just search YouTube for ��"Chupacabra build"
        cutlass442
        Last edited by cutlass442; 08-26-2016, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you 442, I am not sure this is going to turn into a build thread, most of that is in video on Youtube. I got this from Flavio today. We have pushed and pulled those side windows quite a bit in order to make the window roll up and down and he is right, they have become a little short. I like that Diablo window and think we can do that without creating the window problem again. What does everyone think about the Murcie rocker scoop?
          Attached Files

Comment

I like the Diablo style side glass.
            I was never really a fan of the curved side scoop, to many lines going on there. Overall great design and the chassis looks awesome. Looking forward to more progress.

Comment

Exhaust mock-up
              Attached Files
              76mx
              Last edited by 76mx; 05-20-2016, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Hope to see that car finished & on the road asap...
                Saw your videos.Both professional & funny...
                [URL]https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011584922711[/URL]

Comment

the problem that I see with the Murci style is the integration with the wheel arch
                  Now building in Mooresville NC
                  [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton[/url]
                  [url]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton[/url]
                  [url]http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/[/url]

Comment

Hi Charlie, Your build is going great, I just watched and saved all your videos today, I must say I am extremely impressed with your alloy chassis, as I am only just starting my steel version, I am tempted to buy one of yours and drop my shell over it, do you have any idea of the chassis finished weight, from your videos the alloy looks quite thick, would it be around 5mm or more, I really like the way it all interlocks together, will the alloy need stress relief once its all assembled, I figure if there is limited welding you wont need to anneal it after is finished, and I guess that will not be possible due to the bonding process. It really does look awesome.

Comment

AB,
                      This is just a rough overlay and we had a design meeting today about that integration. We came up with putting a Naca Duct behind it to help that.
                      LL,
                      It was my original intent to weld some critical points but with the tensile of the glue higher than the tensile of the aluminum, the idea is that the joint is stronger than the aluminum so there is no need for any welding at all and no relieving. The chassis was designed such that there are no critical butt joints that are not supported by a lap joint. The structural adhesive guys were here a few weeks ago and checked off on it. Also, we have run some Solidworks stress tests and it appears to be bulletproof. The aluminum is 1/4" (6.35MM) but it has lightening holes and coffers at every opportunity. Those "Coffers" are an idea that I stole from early Roman architecture when they were trying to lighten the weight of a concrete dome. The old steel tube chassis weighed 400lbs exactly, I am trying for 200lbs and will let you know within the week. Thank you for your encouragement.
                      76mx
                      Last edited by 76mx; 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Just found the YouTube videos ! Amazing chassis build ! I'll be following

Comment

Charley, you're not, I suspect, going to like this, but FWIW, I prefer the original (to Flavio) window as it calls out the prototype Countach, (although I accept building it will may be trickier) and the original rocker/sill panel, as it fits the overall shape of the car. I even prefer the NACA duct with the curved rear edge that mirror the rear wheel arch flare.

I know there is a certain amount (a lot) of 'productionising' of the original design that has to take place, and you want (?) to get away from the 'Countach Mk2' feeling, but I think he nailed it.

Can't you have a cut out in the rear lower corner of the lower glass to clear the NACA duct inside the door as it rolls down as in the original Countach?

K9

Comment

Hi Charley, I would have to agree with K9 on the windows and maintaining as much of the original design. I fell in love with it when I first saw it.
                            Pedro

Comment

Is there a link , or name of the you tube video's?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X