Aria, my C4 rebody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aria, my C4 rebody

Car design seemed like an interesting profession. That was until the grim reality of churning out hundreds of sketches a day of a small part of a car, say a mirror set in. With no creative control, no ability to shape the overall form, I realized that this was not a way to reach my dream of driving one of my own designs. So instead I turned my academic focus to concept design for games and film. A field where if you get hired to design a vehicle, you actually get to design it. And vowed instead to make my own car.

I found a 3d model on a Russian site of my chosen donor car a Corvette C4; after scaling it i got to work. the model was apparently ripped from the xbox game forza 4. and the accuracy of the models sections was frankly disappointing. So while this may be a cheap way to get models of exotics I wouldn't use them to try to make a replica. the model did however have correct relative scale, so it fit my purpose of finding out what i could feasibly build.
    as far as how to go about building it, i first looked at CNC machining. but found it way to expensive. In the end I was inspired by the way one of my cad programs worked, and the BMW Gina concept. Instead of building a surface from a network of planes and vertices like most programs, In rhino you create curves and the program simulates a surface stretched between them. I realized I could do the same thing with cloth. So I reduced my model to planes that I stretch fabric between to build shapes. Alot like how inuit canoes are made.

here are some renders of the design
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aria front left.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	390910
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIA REAR LEFT2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	390909

Looks great but the pics are cut off (or is that intentional ) I can kno see a small portion of the pic

Comment

Pics looked good until I saw them uncut.

Comment

Um, OK. You may want to speak to 76mx about 'production-ising' a design. I'm a little confused as to how one gets in to your car. I'm no designer, but I'm fairly confident that typically most human beings would require the door to be able to open in order to enter (or exit) the vehicle. I learned recently from a very informative video that is called 'ingress and egress', or something. It was quite hard to understand, the guy had a funny accent. Seemed smart tho.... ;-)

K9

Comment

Let's hold off on the judgment , he said this is just the rendering , and he will be posting the actual car with progress shots tomorrow .

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
            Let's hold off on the judgment , he said this is just the rendering , and he will be posting the actual car with progress shots tomorrow .

Understood, but didn't this all start because someone critiqued a rendering?

K9

Comment

As long as you don't hack up a ZR1 I won't hate you

Comment

I just saw this link today on the Gina concept http://www.carbodydesign.com/2016/08...-gina-concept/
                I have played with fabric-over-metal tubing designs for several years, some predating the Gina. This started after I priced having an Alias model milled out into tools ($$$$), so I can relate to you.

Comment

Originally posted by aflo View Post
                  I just saw this link today on the Gina concept http://www.carbodydesign.com/2016/08...-gina-concept/
                  I have played with fabric-over-metal tubing designs for several years, some predating the Gina. This started after I priced having an Alias model milled out into tools ($$$$), so I can relate to you.
                  Huh good to see the cloth technique isn't my invention. as they say, nothing new under the sun. I've been using 70 / 30 spandex polyester. Tried canvas but didn't have much luck. What fabric do you use and are Are any posts of that up? i'd love to see.
                  also I'm not sure i made it clear, but i'm fiber glassing
                  on top of the cloth. it seemed like a faster way then foam to get compound curves.

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                    As long as you don't hack up a ZR1 I won't hate you
                    Oh no , I chose a base model with a torn up interior no AC, more than a few dents, siting on 20 inch donks and rotting tires. I later found out one of the popup lights didn't work, not like I cared. I'd never do this to a zr1

Comment

Originally posted by Scifieart View Post
                      Huh good to see the cloth technique isn't my invention. as they say, nothing new under the sun. I've been using 70 / 30 spandex polyester. Tried canvas but didn't have much luck. What fabric do you use and are Are any posts of that up? i'd love to see.
                      also I'm not sure i made it clear, but i'm fiber glassing
                      on top of the cloth. it seemed like a faster way then foam to get compound curves.
                      There are cars using fabric on body parts going back 100 years so I didn't invent anything either.
                      As you know, most spandex is way too flexible to hold up at speed. Fiberglassing over the cloth would work well but I was planning on using PolyFiber products http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/polyfiber.html This is the kind of product you will find on many aircraft, like a Pitts Biplane that does over 200mph and can pull 6 Gs. They also make versions of this for model airplanes, which I have used many times on RC models. That is available in a less expensive but adhesive coated materials (heat sealed to the frame) which is perfect for small test models.
                      I have used various polyester and cotton materials (the latter can be tightened using nitrate and butyrate dope, just like in WW-I.
                      Another product from Aircraft Spruce that has more stretch is Dacron. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/...c/peelply4.php
                      Last edited by aflo; 08-02-2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Defiantly looking into that cloth, pretty cheap too. I only have the back started, not the hood. which I want to do in one single articulating piece. I've made rc planes with that monokonte stuff, but found it to be a bit to flimsy at such a large scale. I also thought of using the vynil that's used to wrap cars but once again way to flimsy. but real aircraft covering yeah that could work. have you tried painting it? I'm sure you can but can you use regular car paint?
                        Last edited by Scifieart; 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Please use photobucket to upload, this forum has an upload problem
                          They have a handy app to easily upload pics from your phone

All your pics are showing up as 2/3 cutoff for me , that problems isn't happen with
                          Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by Scifieart View Post
                            Defiantly looking into that cloth, pretty cheap too. I only have the back started, not the hood. which I want to do in one single articulating piece. I've made rc planes with that monokonte stuff, but found it to be a bit to flimsy at such a large scale. I also thought of using the vynil that's used to wrap cars but once again way to flimsy. but real aircraft covering yeah that could work. have you tried painting it? I'm sure you can but can you use regular car paint?
                            They have several paint options for final color. Their paints are formulated for flexibility and adhesion. They are difficult to paint because you CANNOT spray and spray like with ordinary paints. These paints will RUN and you have to wait five days before you can sand and redo. They mention that standard automotive enamels would not have the flexibility over fabric - but I think would probably be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
                              Please use photobucket to upload, this forum has an upload problem
                              They have a handy app to easily upload pics from your phone

All your pics are showing up as 2/3 cutoff for me , that problems isn't happen with
                              Photobucket
                              Made an account making the swap first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X