No announcement yet.

G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the engine bonnet hinge, I looked at Autpro and USMC butler build threads for some ideas, as well as some pictures of Murci-Me car.

I cut the old rusted inch tubing out. I took an Audi A-4 hinge and modified it so it would mount in the holes in the OEM replica engine bonnet. The hinge set up works really well and the Bonnet goes up with out rubbing

Not sure if I'm going to try to create a more OEM look like Auto pros but will wait until the bat wings go in to figure what to do

Comment

• happy Friday!

The OEM engine bonnet is is about 2 2/16" to short.

Time to cut and fiberglass! Multiple times!!

Comment

• Was up late last night fiber glassing. Got an early start today

The top of the engine bonnet is 1/2 " wider at the top than the bottom. Added CSM to make the distance the same.

Will need to cut the body to make the angle flow from the top of the engine bonnet to the body where the rear trunk is.

The other issue is the angle on the body is some how different from side to side

Comment

• Had to increase the length of the OEM sized Replica bat wings.

The bat wings that came with the REDO were pretty pitiful

Comment

• So Ameazing job

Comment

• Originally posted by LLLPPP View Post
              So Ameazing job
              thanks man!

Comment

• Laid out some string to check the lines from roof over the engine bonnet to the body in the rear.

I was off by a 5/16 of an inch and finally figured out where. The two cut grooves in the body on the driver side are just 5/16 wider than the same two grooves on the passenger side. This made the engine hatch seem to narrow and wasn't lining up on the drivers side.

Have to mull over my options

Comment

• Continued on the rear hatch. Made some adjustments to the hinge mounting

Ground at least 1/4 of rage bondo that the PO applied and got the hatch to line up with the body on both sides

Comment

• made a bracket for the engine bonnet latch

Comment

• The REDO's rear trunk lid needed a bit of cleaning up

Comment

• what a yawner on the REDO today, did some fiberglass repair, Wash, rinse, sand, acetone, tin foil etc. on the rear trunk lid and hacked up body

Comment

• I love that your saving this car from its truly pathetic state of affairs but I have to say... starting from scratch might have been a better way to go with the sheer amount of work you have had to put in to correct the PO's... design choices?

Suppose it's too late to turn back now. At least when this is done you will have a truly magnificent and WAY more dependable machine than when it first started out. If this was me... I think I would have to die with the car because after all this work, I just wouldn't be able to sell it and feel I got my monies worth.
                          It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Comment

• Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
                            I love that your saving this car from its truly pathetic state of affairs but I have to say... starting from scratch might have been a better way to go with the sheer amount of work you have had to put in to correct the PO's... design choices?

Suppose it's too late to turn back now. At least when this is done you will have a truly magnificent and WAY more dependable machine than when it first started out. If this was me... I think I would have to die with the car because after all this work, I just wouldn't be able to sell it and feel I got my monies worth.
                            G35, thanks for the comments. I don't think about the past or the future, mainly just living in the moment enjoying working on the REDO. Call me crazy but Im getting my monies worth right now with the sense of accomplishment and gratification I get after successfully completing a section of the car. If I wanted another sports car to add to what I already have, I would buy a 458 or 488. Certainly I would not buy a "completed" replica.

This project is about working through the issues, coming up with a solution, fabricating and getting shit to work and look good, Has nothing to do about driving the car or what I can get for it when Im done working on it. I don't even know if I will finish before I die ! lol, Just having a great time at the moment!

Comment

• Totally get it. It's just as much about the process as it is about the car itself or the end result

Comment

• Originally posted by Simple Man View Post

This project is about working through the issues, coming up with a solution, fabricating and getting shit to work and look good, Has nothing to do about driving the car or what I can get for it when Im done working on it. I don't even know if I will finish before I die ! lol, Just having a great time at the moment!

I could not have said it any better
                                Now building in Mooresville NC
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton
                                http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton
                                http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X