Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1988 Mera restoration and modifications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice oem look! And loving the Ferrari gauge mod!

Comment

Any thought of replacing the dash, console and door panels with replica Ferrari?

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
        Very nice oem look! And loving the Ferrari gauge mod!
        Thank you!

Originally posted by mera308gts View Post
        Any thought of replacing the dash, console and door panels with replica Ferrari?
        Yes. I did it last time with my AD355. I used Robs (amida) interior, and I have contacted Rob to discuss it. There are a few things right now that is keeping me from doing it. First and foremost is cost. Robs interior is the best I have ever seen, but it takes him forever to build so it has a high labor cost. In addition only factory Ferrari F355 vents looks proper and they are massivly expensive. Finally I have to change all the guages over and once again cost and time. The whole interior takes a long time to install and costs thousands of dollars.

Also being a Mera I am not sure I want to go that far away from stock. As I still plan to put it all back to stock at some point in the future.

So right now I am making the interior look a little nicer and I am going to enjoy the car. Maybe in the fall I will tear it all apart and start on a Ferrari interior if I have the budget.
        https://home.comcast.net/~deputy_dog/image001.gif

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean00 View Post
          Next, I worked on my fog light switch. I am adding Rodney Dickmans Mera updated bumper grill and fog lights. I didn't want a fog light switch to look like an aftermarket part. So I dug around a bit and came up with this fog light switch off like a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am. I think it looks pretty close to stock, and I think it will blend nicely with the Fiero dash.

So I eyeballed where I thought would look the best and made a mark in pencil.

Next, I dremeled it out and fit the switch. I think it looks pretty stock and won't draw any extra attention.

What do you think?
          First let me say, that was a well done modification and I agree it should not draw any unwanted attention. The only detail I think someone might notice is that the other switches push up from behind and the one you added lays overtop.

If you thought you could, you could dremel out the the hole to be the width of the edges of the switch so the switch edges would be flush with the panel you are inserting the switch into. On the reverse side, you would have to create a means to bracket or hold the switch in that position.

That or, insert the switch from the rear so that the rocker comes out the hole like the other controls and then bracket the switch in place.

This is ONLY my OCD talking. What you have looks plenty good enough if you like it as is. My suggestions are only that. Suggestions.

But otherwise, it looks great as is as well.
          [COLOR=#333333]It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr[/COLOR]

Comment

Way to go Chris! Looking good!
            [url]http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/build-diaries/8454-my-official-ad355-build-thread-sactodreamer.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by sactodreamer View Post
              Way to go Chris! Looking good!
              Thank you, Ron! It means a lot!

Today, I took the dash out and disassembled it completely. I thoroughly cleaned it and prepped the plastic, followed by adhesion promoter and then redyed it black to match the rest of my upgraded interior.

Also, I noticed that the heater core started to leak yesterday so I have a brand new one coming, and while I was at it I ordered a new AC compressor, accumulator, o-ring kit, orifice tube, and new AC belt and serpentine belt. I also rebuilt the climate control panel inside the car. So all the heat and air will be brand new.

I also wired in my Pioneer 1.5 din radio. It fits the Fiero dash perfectly. I wanted to get as close to a period correct radio as I can. I am still looking for a top of the line old school 80's Alpine, but this will work for now. Also, I added Bluetooth streaming audio to it, Pioneer has used the same IP-bus for years so I can add things like Bluetooth on a 90's deck.

Also, don't mind the wiring. I cleaned it up after this and wrapped it.

Comment

More progress today.

I really love the original Mera wheels. I like them both with the large center cap that covers the lugs and without. But for some time I am going to take the large center caps off and put on small Ferrari caps and exposed lugs. My Mera still has its original Formula lug nuts, but the beauty caps are long gone. While I have a large assortment of used old caps I decided it would only look correct with some brand new ones.

Here is the wheel without the large center cap and without the lugs beauty caps.

Here are my brand new beauty caps.

And here they are installed. I personally really like the look of shiny black caps on the silver finished rim.

This is a picture I found online showing what it will look like once my Ferrari caps arrive.

What I am really excited to show is my new cup holder console arrived today from TXGOOD on the Pennocks Fiero Forum!! He was able to upholster it using the same perforated and flat material from MrMike that he used on my seats. My photos really do not do his work justice, this is a work of art! Please remember in the pictures the parts are only laying in place and the console door is laying on top of the original door. They will look much better when they are actually installed.

Stay tuned as I have a LOT more to follow on this build.
                Last edited by DeLorean00; 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
                  First let me say, that was a well done modification and I agree it should not draw any unwanted attention. The only detail I think someone might notice is that the other switches push up from behind and the one you added lays overtop.

If you thought you could, you could Dremel out the the hole to be the width of the edges of the switch so the switch edges would be flush with the panel you are inserting the switch into. On the reverse side, you would have to create a means to bracket or hold the switch in that position.

That or, insert the switch from the rear so that the rocker comes out the hole like the other controls and then bracket the switch in place.

This is ONLY my OCD talking. What you have looks plenty good enough if you like it as is. My suggestions are only that. Suggestions.

But otherwise, it looks great as is as well.
                  I am sorry I missed this post or I would have replied sooner. That is an interesting idea about making it come in from behind. I don't believe I have enough skill yet to make the opening perfectly rectangular. That is when it would be cool to have a little CNC machine to make perfect cuts. In the future, if I have time I might try what you suggest with another spare trim panel.

Thanks for the message!

Comment

I bought my tires today. I went with the Michelin XWX. Not cheap but period correct design, proper fitment, VR rated, and brand new 2017 date code tires.

Comment

Mera 8151

Quote "This is a picture I found online showing what it will look like once my Ferrari caps arrive."

That is my car, Mera # 8151! I can tell by the exhaust traps that came on the car and I still hate to this day.

Last edited by mera308gts; 05-23-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Quote "This is a picture I found online showing what it will look like once my Ferrari caps arrive."

That is my car, Mera # 8151! I can tell by the exhaust traps that came on the car and I still hate to this day.
                        So it is! Man, your car looks great! I noticed your taillights are flipped compared to mine (orange inners). Is that the correct way? Do you have any more photos of your car, or a thread about it somewhere?

Comment

Great looking interior pieces. ahhh heak. the whole car looks great!
                          My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Correct Ferrari taillight configuration would be yellow on the outside. Mera's were delivered red outside to meet US requirements.

Chris, beyond taillights you could go crazy with your Mera rebuild . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Great looking interior pieces. ahhh heak. the whole car looks great!
                              Wow, coming from you this is like Michelangelo complementing my MS Paint drawing.

Thank you, MacGyver I really appreciate it.

Correct Ferrari taillight configuration would be yellow on the outside. Mera's were delivered red outside to meet US requirements.

Chris, beyond taillights you could go crazy with your Mera rebuild . . . . . . .
                              I want to drive my car! lol. If I start on building it into the that I would never get it finished! Did you ever see my AD355 build? Everyone told me that was the easiest car to build and it took me 10 years to figure it out.

But seriously, that car looks awesome and I would love to be able to build another one in the future and make it a 288 GTO. But I feel a Mera is special enough I don't want to modify it. I am boxing up every original part I am taking off the Mera and storing it in my garage as some day in the future all the stock Formula interior might go back in.

Comment

Since I have the dash out and I am waiting on a heater core I took the opportunity to remove the overly complex alarm system that was installed in the car. I was able to easily return the car wiring back to stock. Then I installed a keyless entry system, it is a very simple setup that just locks and unlocks the doors and flashes the parking lights. I do not like the GM two key setup so this will allow me to carry only one key and a fob (along with a hidden backup door key in event of a failure). I really enjoyed having the space to do the wiring right and heat shrink all the connections and mount the box up high and out of the way. The one nice thing about this system is it has a learning feature that will allow it to add additional remotes. I am going to see if I can find a remote that will work that is small enough I can trim it down to fit in the F360 key heads I have. That would be awesome because I would only need to carry that one key with the built in fob. If I am unable to find a remote that will work with this system I will keep my eyes open for another system that I can swap it out with. it is easy to change now I understand the wiring and the system I bought was only $28.

This is the fob for the system I installed. It is based on a Hyundai key fob.

This is the F360 key head I am going to hope to find a transmitter I can fit into it that I can make work with my system.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X