Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1988 Mera restoration and modifications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rlndhill
    replied
    Originally posted by DeLorean00 View Post
    Sorry for being MIA, my wife's uncle passed away unexpectedly. So we have to take some time to be available for him and the family. Then we have a massive heatwave where we had temperatures of over 107 for like 8 days straight. During that heat wave I decided to take the car to a shop to have the A/C system replaced and while there it turned out that the A/C compressor that Amazon sold which their program said fit my car perfect and visually looked the same did not fit. So a 1-day shop visited ended up being a 6-day visit. After 6 days there they got all the parts in and installed them only to find out the A/C lines that come off the back of the compressor have a massive hole in them and replacements are not available anymore according to them. Does anyone here have the lines off the back of compressor for a 1988 Formula? I could have had a shop in town rebuild the line but that meant the Mera would be at the shop another full week and I was done with that. It was a good thing I took it back, it was getting extremely dirty and will need a good polish again. Finally my favorite chicken Big Red became very very sick the day I was going to get my car and I did not think she was going to make it. Luckily my wife trained to be a veterinarian before training to became and embalmer so she was able to treat my hen at home and I am happy to say she is doing much better now and I think she will make it.

Now I am back and I will be posting updates here again soon, inculding updates on KEYS! I can't wait to finish this car.

However for the time being here is a video from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-5COBthIk
    Chris,

Any updates?

Robert

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Sorry for being MIA, my wife's uncle passed away unexpectedly. So we have to take some time to be available for him and the family. Then we have a massive heatwave where we had temperatures of over 107 for like 8 days straight. During that heat wave I decided to take the car to a shop to have the A/C system replaced and while there it turned out that the A/C compressor that Amazon sold which their program said fit my car perfect and visually looked the same did not fit. So a 1-day shop visited ended up being a 6-day visit. After 6 days there they got all the parts in and installed them only to find out the A/C lines that come off the back of the compressor have a massive hole in them and replacements are not available anymore according to them. Does anyone here have the lines off the back of compressor for a 1988 Formula? I could have had a shop in town rebuild the line but that meant the Mera would be at the shop another full week and I was done with that. It was a good thing I took it back, it was getting extremely dirty and will need a good polish again. Finally my favorite chicken Big Red became very very sick the day I was going to get my car and I did not think she was going to make it. Luckily my wife trained to be a veterinarian before training to became and embalmer so she was able to treat my hen at home and I am happy to say she is doing much better now and I think she will make it.

Now I am back and I will be posting updates here again soon, inculding updates on KEYS! I can't wait to finish this car.

However for the time being here is a video from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-5COBthIk

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied

Something along the lines of this.

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    I reproduced the Fiero interior door handle screw cover, so now I am going to make Ferrari horse screw covers and Fiero keys for when the car turns back into a Mera.

Also, the Ferrari keys are still in final production. I won't be happy until they are perfect.

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
    Very nice. I agree, the low profile lights look very slick.

Did you notice any difference in the amount of produced lighting with the low versus the high profile?
    Thank you! The lights are designed to be the exact same alignment as the factory Fiero lights. They use all the same equipment just changes the size of the lights that come up. So for your question about lighting, the 4"x6" produce the same amount of light and are factory equipment on cars like Saturn SC2. They are just dimensionally smaller. These lights also should produce a slight amount more light as they are made to look like vintage sealed beams but they are actually housings with H4 bulbs. So if I really wanted I could upgrade the bulbs to Xenon or LED with keeping everything looking the same as they do now. But I actually like the look of the old yellow light, I am not changing my license plate lights over to LED either. I like the look of the old lighting at night on a car this age.

Originally posted by rundlc View Post
    VERY nice job on the key Chris!!!
    Thank you Carthan!

Originally posted by Drewbdo View Post
    I thought I'd asked this question, but I couldn't find where I did...

Where are you getting the Ferrari water transfer decals (door sill, gauges, etc) ? Do you have a link to a website or eBay seller? Tried to find something similar, and haven't so far. I really like your idea!
    I will link right below this comment. But if you want to find different decals just simply search eBay for 'Ferrrari Model Decals' as these are made for scale model cars but I think they give a very professional factory screen printed look.

When buying water transfer decals I suggest buy twice the amount you expect to need. It is very easy to tear them or damage them when you slide them on. So with the door sill decals you will see that the larger Ferrari text is only made a couple times so I bought 2 sets because if I ruined even one of the large decals I would be stuck waiting on another set to come in.

Gauge cluster decals,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171649362044...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Door sill logos,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171677265099...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Leave a comment:

• Drewbdo
    replied
    I thought I'd asked this question, but I couldn't find where I did...

Where are you getting the Ferrari water transfer decals (door sill, gauges, etc) ? Do you have a link to a website or eBay seller? Tried to find something similar, and haven't so far. I really like your idea!

Leave a comment:

• rundlc
    replied
    VERY nice job on the key Chris!!!

Leave a comment:

• G35Mike
    replied
    Very nice. I agree, the low profile lights look very slick.

Did you notice any difference in the amount of produced lighting with the low versus the high profile?

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Last night I finished installing Danyels low profile 4"x6" lights in the Mera. I really like them. The Mera with the stock lights they look way too big. With the low profile lights it looks more exotic and less Fiero like.

I love this first picture, it looks like the Mera is making a funny face. O_o

Here they are installed. I cannot wait to get the time to install Rodneys correct 308 bumper, grill, turn signals, and fog lights. I think once all that is done it will really make the car look awesome.

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Originally posted by Don View Post
    Ah right. Makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Amazing job on this. I am in for two if/when you are ready to sell....
    Cheers
    Don
    Don first off thank you. I am honored you would consider putting my parts on your work of art. That being said I have the final buck in being molding completely. I have tossed the old molds and strated from scracth (execpet of course the fact I have a finihed key to dupliacte). I wanted my molds to be prefection if I want to seel to the public. I should have the final key in a day or two and I will share it with the forum and then we can discuess who might want one and color etc.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Ah right. Makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Amazing job on this. I am in for two if/when you are ready to sell....
    Cheers
    Don

Originally posted by DeLorean00 View Post
    Thanks Don. The horse is the same orientation as the Ferrari key. It is confusing because in the photo I have the Ferrari key flipped to show the comparison to the Scion key style system I have. So it is acutally the shape of the key flipped vs the horse. I debated back and forth but I didn't think it looked right the other way.

Here is a picture to illustrate what I am talking about.

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Today I started the next project while my finished key molds cure. Since in the future I will be turning the car back into a Mera I decided to cast a set of keys with the Fiero logo. Also, I am going to create door handle screw covers using the Ferrari horse. So basically swapping these two things and making two new things.

Mocked up in the mold casing.

And for the millionth time another picture of a mold.

Leave a comment:

• G35Mike
    replied
    Lugs exposed for sure. That's a way better look. But then again, I have never really been a fan of the solid wheel or covered lug look...

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    My yellow Ferrari center caps came. The ones they sent are just a hair too big so I have ordered another set said to be the right size. However, what does everyone think? Full center caps that cover the lugs(i.e. original style Mera as seen in this thread up until this post)? Or small properly fitting Ferrari caps with exposed new lug caps?

Leave a comment:

• DeLorean00
    replied
    Next. I am on to my low profile head lights for Danyel. I must say he went above and beyond to find just the right lights with the vintage look I was after and made me a plug and play kit. Top notch work!

If you want one of his kits you can get them here.
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068782.html

The Fiero in original configuration looks okay, but in the Mera configuration, it looks almost comical.

Here are Danyels lights right as they arrive except I painted them in SEM trim black. Really and great looking part.

Here the drivers are low profiles passenger is stock.

This is the light after installed. You can see the retro style lenses Danyel got for me.

One more look of the one high and one low.

Here is a side view of the new low pro. I like the look.

Final picture pertaining to lights right now. But this is the area of the biggest change. You can see from this side photo how little the new door opens. I think it looks slick.
    Last edited by DeLorean00; 06-14-2017, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X