Freddy's Vaydor Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddy's Vaydor Build

Hi everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I recently purchased a Vaydor kit from a friend of mine who had to move away. I am excited about the build and am looking forward to sharing my progress here. I am hoping I will get some help from fellow members, for as you know, it didn't come with an instruction manual. Haha.

Once I figure out how to post pictures on here, I will post.

Thanks,
    Freddy

I think I have the photo posting down after reading how to do it in another post.

Here is how I purchased and brought her home. It is a completely stripped 2003 Infiniti chassis with the rear already mounted. I purchased it off a friend and I was happy to help him out since he had to move away pretty quickly.

This seems like it will be a good project for my teenage son and I to take on and have a little fun. We are primarily doing it for him, as he has an interest in cars (as we all did at 16), and it doesn't hurt to spend some time with the boy before he grows up and we kick him out! However, it might be me getting kicked out first as my wife is already complaining about it taking up too much space in our garage! Ha ha.

The pieces seem to be all there when I cross reference them with the pieces listed on the Vaydor website. I do not have the interior as the previous owner did not purchase it, so that is something I will have to contact Matt for. Additionally, I seem to be missing the center third brake light, windshield, rear quarter glass, and rear back glass.

Looks like I am in for some work!

Comment

If your missing any of the trim pieces let me know
      such as rear diffuser, cowl, front splitter, side skirts, trim for vents or interior trim for centre console

Comment

And I don't think Matt sells the interior anymore as he don't sell the bodykits

Comment

Originally posted by metro View Post
          If your missing any of the trim pieces let me know
          such as rear diffuser, cowl, front splitter, side skirts, trim for vents or interior trim for centre console
          Metro, thanks for the info.. I will double check to make sure I am not missing any of those parts you have. If so, I will let you know.

Originally posted by metro View Post
          And I don't think Matt sells the interior anymore as he don't sell the bodykits
          Wait, whaaaat?? Seriously? He doesn't sell his bodykits anymore?? His website is up and running so I assumed he was still selling them.

I will call him on Monday hopeful he has some spare interior parts still laying around. In the meantime, does anyone know where I can source the interior? It seems there are some turnkey builders out there.. do you think they just splashed his car to keep going?

Comment

You could make some yourself just cover someone's in cling film scran wrap or w/e you call it and make a template from fiberglasss

Comment

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions on what the best Lambo hinges would be to use? There are so many choices online; would a direct bolt on for that particular G35 be best or is everyone using some sort of universal kit? From what I understand, I'm looking in the $3K range right?

Thanks,
              Freddy

Comment

So I have been messing around with some ideas for side-marker lights. I noticed most use a small round side-marker light, but I was thinking about doing something like this around the wheel well:

or this along the seam:

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
                Freddy

Comment

The bottom one looks sweet but it will be hard to find something that curves with the shape of the body

Comment

I hate to say it but the first image looks more authentic with the body and like metro said, the second may be harder to match with the body.

Both are a great change though.
                    [COLOR=#333333]It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
                      Does anyone have any idea or suggestions on what the best Lambo hinges would be to use? There are so many choices online; would a direct bolt on for that particular G35 be best or is everyone using some sort of universal kit? From what I understand, I'm looking in the $3K range right?

Thanks,
                      Freddy
                      $3000 for lambo door kit is a ripoff
                      Custom bolt on g35 kits are $850-1290 on eBay
                      Universal kits are even cheaper

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/pg/SikWhipsCu...ernal&mt_nav=1
                        check these guys out there building one

Comment

How's the build coming Freddy?

Has anyone confirmed that Matt does not sell the kits anymore?

Comment

New to the site, hi everybody! Not sure about matt still selling the kits. But as far as the hinge question, i used universal vertical door kit from ebay. Kit was from china, about $250. Im satisfied with them, where they bolted together they were a little loose, once i got them set i just put a little bead of weld on with the mig so nothing would move around.

Comment

Hi Freddy, we should PM and talk via phone sometime. I could use some insights as to how other builders do things. . . but I have built two of these and can help you as well. I am in middle of one now. almost to interior stage.
                              here are some general insights:

1) Stay away from G35 bolt-on lambo hinge . . . first i tried lambo doors4U bolt on $800. Then i tried vertical doors g35 bolt on $1,100. Neither were tall enough or angled right to swing past the fender as vaydor door shells are more forward (to front of car) than the stock doors) Even after i cut and weld the hinges and extended them. the angles + size just would not allow a good fit. I tried to use them and worked on them for over a month. wasted valuable time. Go with universal duel shock with adjustable plates. They went right in with minimal effort.

2) Headlight are you next biggest problem to fit. They are Extremely difficult! on 1 car i had to shave the inside from clip to match the headlight while adding slots in the vaydor core support for maximum adaptability (this is what matt/ Jimmy do) but on one I am building now. . . The front clip does not sit all way back on this model donor and i had to build FG on the font clip 1/4"-1/2" back to the headlights as they sat in the core all the way forward already with just a bolt-hole. So look at it both ways for ease. Also dont forget to cover your lenses with paper or bags or tape as they will get very scratched up in this fustrating process.

3) Vaydor has the most headroom the further you sit back in the cab. BUT further you sit back, the less visibility you have to the nose. So i have figured out this time as i am 6' (Matt is about 5'4) to put 1" +/- riser plate under the rear legs which tilted the most head room forward in the cab. Other wise there is NO room for headliner. With my seats bolted directly to the floor, my head (not my hair) is touching the roof and i even have to lean my head to side a bit. this is extremely dangerous in a car accident situation. headroom is important.

4) The battery can be left in the original location and slide in and out. one i am working on now is like that as the donor had a stereo, separate camera and extra fuses hooked up to positive side. So instead of re-routing this monster positive cable with all the fuses we left it and trimmed the panel (under the wdwd) just a little. . . . But then you have to find space for wiper motor. Best to have that figured out before you permenatley mount the body down. I waited and was not going to worry about wipers but now we are adding them and it is Very minimal to reach original wires and work in the area . .. . especially if you wanted to weld a little tab. So i should have done that earlier rather than later.

ummmmm what else - ohhh . . .
                              I left the front stabilizer bar over the motor in this time and cut the hood back. not only did it shave a good bit of weight off the front as these cars are front heavy. the car is alot more functional & race looking. Also if you cut the hood slices at the dips it allows it to clear the radiator overflow - or you can just relocate it. This time i cut the hood as i was in there chopping anyway. ALSO Rather than add the hinges I went with quick release mounts.

hope this helps inspire and get going .. . . other than that rest is just typical car build. hours & hours LOL

maybe you can help me and learn me something about VAYDOR body work and paint? every time they get into the sun for a day, larges holes and cracks and craters appear. Matt & JImmy work in a large garage they dont have to take it out to daylight until it sells and leaves their hands - why theirs look so clean when fitted. but i pull it out of my garage everyday to work on it. FLorida sun reveals all the bubbles and weak spots instantly breaks thru. I have been trying to fix major ones. 1 at a time as i am working along. I have been practicing on trim pieces and so far - the self etching primer seems to lay down the best after i FG holes, sand, fill scratches and pins then wet sand and glaze. Thanks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X