No announcement yet.

volvo p1800 into ferrari 275gtb spyder: v12, 5spd, tube chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you IKAROS for your kind words. I have a few more posts so I can catch all of y'all up to where the project currently is. I realize I've left out a lot of details so far, but I will try to do better documenting this from here on.

Comment

Next, I needed this thing to roll again. A wider subframe to accomodate the v12 is 100% necessary. In order to maintain the proper track width, I opted for a universal 56.5" mustang 2 style front end with manual rack. This was only about 2" wider than the original volvo front axle.

For around $1000, it's pretty hard to beat this. After being covered in nasty stuff it was time to do some cleaner work measuring, welding, and fitting this into place.
      I'm a visual learner so mocking everything up to figure where to make the crossmember cuts helped a ton.

tacked into place at 2.5" cut height

Comment

The shock towers were next.

with their location determined, I could finish weld the crossmember

Comment

After that I could tack up the towers

I'm still very much a beginner tig welder, but here are some shots of welds anyhow

Comment

after a test fit, I ran into a little snafu. The springs and outer edge of the rails had a little interference issue and needed to be notched.

Comment

So this is the last post before we're caught up to the current status of the project.

The rack, control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, and springs are all bolted up. I left the shocks out for now so they avoid damage from any more grinding and dust.

old vs. new. Anybody need a full front end for an 1800?

Comment

Okay maybe I have a little more to post. The xjs ran a 3spd automatic th400 variant. I wanted to run something fun. There are a couple options out there but I decided to go with a t5 based setup. I purchased a bellhousing from the guys over at 5speeds. The strongest stock t5 out there is from late model 3.8 mustangs (99+ iirc) rated at 310 ft/lbs. We will see how it fairs. The jag motor makes somewhere in the mid to high 200s stock, and with the planned custom intake manifolds and stainless headers I might be pushing it a little.

opened it up and checked everything, sealed with rtv just to make sure it wasn't junk.

Comment

Next steps from here...

Immediately, I need to address the hub bore issue as the wheels will not bolt up to the mustang/pinto rotors. I have figured out a fix for this that avoids machining but I'm waiting on some supplies.

The engine will be set into place for motor mount fabrication next. before I take it off the stand, I need to seal up the upper valley cover on the engine. To do that, I need to pull the distributor, and to do that I need a lower timing mark plate to set the motor to TDC. For whatever reason that was missing from the engine when I purchased the car. I have one on order and it is supposed to ship soon.

Comment

Over on the turbobrick's forum, where I stole a few ideas about the frame rails, I decided I will build bent 1 5/8" down bars to connect the frame rails to the a pillars. I may take a more direct shot from one point to the other, but you get the general idea. I want to have the motor set in place before this point.

Comment

For the rear end, obviously the wimpy dana volvo rear end can not handle the added power. They are known to break axles when pushed just over the factory power rating. I have an exploder (explorer) 3.73 lsd, disk brake axle that will be going in. I will have to narrow the driver's side ~3" and run another passenger axle in the housing to get it to a 56.5" track width.

Comment

Awesome idea, great photos, and terrific write-up 275NART. Can't wait to see more. One thought: have you considered running the IRS from the Jag? It would look pretty exotic with that rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloozberry View Post
                          Awesome idea, great photos, and terrific write-up 275NART. Can't wait to see more. One thought: have you considered running the IRS from the Jag? It would look pretty exotic with that rear end.
                          Thanks man. I had given it some thought, but the bolt pattern was off and custom axles and arms would be necessary to narrow it. They also have a really high gear, like a 2.90ish and the 3.73/t5 with the first and 5th gear I have should make a great combination for cruising and highway driving. I considered doing an irs drop out from an rx7 or 240sx but for simplicity sake this should work and handle well. The volvo was set up with a multi link axle w/ panhard bar and not leaf springs. With some new bracketry and adjustable link bars it should fit up simply.

Comment

Truly great work that your doing. that is looking amazing.. also on the page where you showed your wire wheel it was in front of a bike, The wood grain paint looks so cool. is that hydro graphics/paint/wrap? id like to see more if possible.

Comment

Great thread and excellent work!

Comment

Originally posted by bodyman View Post
                                Truly great work that your doing. that is looking amazing.. also on the page where you showed your wire wheel it was in front of a bike, The wood grain paint looks so cool. is that hydro graphics/paint/wrap? id like to see more if possible.
                                Thank you. Yes I hydro dipped the tank and rear cowl on that bike.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X