• Show
Clear All
    275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Originally posted by Don View Post
    A quick question.

Why is the trans mount crooked? Does the trans mount on the Jag engine really have an angle to it? Obviously the engine and trans are lined up and straight so I guess the Mustang mount isn't quite the same shape as the oem mount so it put it on an angle?

Regardless. It is in and beautifully fabricated. Was just curious.....

Cheers
    Don
    Don,

The engine and trans are not canted over at all- look at the position of the bellhousing and bellhousing drain hole and how the trans bolts up to it. For whatever reason the crossmember bracket that's cast on the v6 mustang transmission is tilted a considerable amount. It's quite apparent here:

Leave a comment:

• Don

• Don
    replied
    A quick question.

Why is the trans mount crooked? Does the trans mount on the Jag engine really have an angle to it? Obviously the engine and trans are lined up and straight so I guess the Mustang mount isn't quite the same shape as the oem mount so it put it on an angle?

Regardless. It is in and beautifully fabricated. Was just curious.....

Cheers
    Don

Leave a comment:

• TRcrazy
    Active Users

• TRcrazy
    replied
    Good to see more metalshapers here. -Vinny

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    New toy. For $300 w/ the anvils what's there to really lose.

New toy. For $300 w/ the anvils what's there to really lose.

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Trans mount is done. First I had to make some little brackets with captive nuts

I welded those to the inside of the main frame rails

Cut up the factory mustang trans mount I bought and bolted it into place

boxing in those gaps

A lick of paint and it's good enough for now.

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Not a whole lot to report here but the pedal box is tacked back into place. I moved it over about 3.5" from the factory location.

I ordered a few more materials so I can fab the trans mount shortly.

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Thank you for the encouragement Eddy! I have drooled over your TR and countach replica for some time. Believe it or not I think my aluminum welds look nicer than steel! Don't know why since aluminum is generally more difficult for most people.

Leave a comment:

• Fast Eddy

• Fast Eddy
    replied
    Wow 275! I'm away from the forum for a spell and suddenly a NART Spyder appears before my eyes from no where ha ha!!! You are modest about your welding skills, but my goodness are those super nice welds! My brother is a welder and let me have a go at repairing my Countach aluminum wheel insert with his Tig, and I failed to get the hang of it, gave up and let him do it! I'll have to try again. It's great to see you moving along so well. Cheers! Eddy
    Fast Eddy
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 07-08-2017, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Originally posted by IKAROS View Post
    275NART...There is still time to make a small change & buy this engine....Come on...It's not THAT expensive!

Wow. Some serious technology in that lump!

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Originally posted by C5GTO View Post
    Always a great feeling when the engine is sitting in place! It looks like you're using even less of that P1800 the further you go. Oh well, it provided a good starting place and it certainly looks like you have the skills to build the rest of the car around it
    Haha yeah that's kind of my thinking at this point. I could have started from scratch but hey it saved a good bit of time and money at least. I've also been reading and watching metal shaping videos. I think I will get a cheap-o wheel to do the trans tunnel and see if I can get the hang of it, then maybe get a nice rig if it works out favorably.

Leave a comment:

• IKAROS

• IKAROS
    replied
    275NART...There is still time to make a small change & buy this engine....Come on...It's not THAT expensive!

Leave a comment:

• C5GTO
    Active Users

• C5GTO
    replied
    Always a great feeling when the engine is sitting in place! It looks like you're using even less of that P1800 the further you go. Oh well, it provided a good starting place and it certainly looks like you have the skills to build the rest of the car around it

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied

tacked into place

set into place with only 4 small tacks per mount. Well that's reassurance that I can burn in strong welds! I need to fill my argon tank before I can finish the welds.

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Made the mounts. Although it took a while it was a lot more straight forward than I thought it could be.

Final test fit

Leave a comment:

• 275NART
    Active Users

• 275NART
    replied
    Originally posted by mlochala View Post
    Wow, I love build threads like this. I don't post much, but I absorb everything. I learn so much from watching guys like you. Please keep up the excellent work.

It's guys like you and Don that make it bearable for those of us who would be taking on such a challenge if we had the time or money. Maybe one day...
    Thank you both!

Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
    Boy does that go ditto for me!!!

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X