Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

volvo p1800 into ferrari 275gtb spyder: v12, 5spd, tube chassis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied








    clearance is tight! Going to be fun making the driver's side mount especially.

    Leave a comment:

  • G35Mike
    Senior Member

  • G35Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by mlochala View Post
    Wow, I love build threads like this. I don't post much, but I absorb everything. I learn so much from watching guys like you. Please keep up the excellent work.

    It's guys like you and Don that make it bearable for those of us who would be taking on such a challenge if we had the time or money. Maybe one day...
    Boy does that go ditto for me!!!

    Leave a comment:

  • mlochala
    Junior Member

  • mlochala
    replied
    Wow, I love build threads like this. I don't post much, but I absorb everything. I learn so much from watching guys like you. Please keep up the excellent work.

    It's guys like you and Don that make it bearable for those of us who would be taking on such a challenge if we had the time or money. Maybe one day...

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    Thanks Mera and bodyman. I did a little trimming yesterday and got the engine to sit back and down where I want it.







    Leave a comment:

  • mera308gts
    Senior Member

  • mera308gts
    replied
    Wow and I thought I was in deep with my project . . . . . GREAT job 275NART!

    Leave a comment:

  • bodyman
    Junior Member

  • bodyman
    replied
    Your doing an amazing job. this is such a cool project.

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    Thanks Don! That seems to always be the case!

    Leave a comment:

  • Don
    Senior Member

  • Don
    replied
    Looking good. There are always adjustments to be made while fitting new pieces.....

    Keep it up
    Cheers
    Don

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    I have started fitting the engine. Even with the custom front end it is like putting a square peg in a round hole.





    I want it to sit about 6-7 inches further back so the firewall will need to trimmed before I can even make the engine mounts.



    I also need to move the pedal box over about 1-2". It would barely clear now but I want a little room. I am going to switch to an electric power steering column and move the steering shaft so it enters through the firewall much lower as well.



    The alternator is also going to need to be relocated higher up. I will switch to a smaller higher amperage unit in the process. I'd like the engine to sit much lower down so I'm going to need to play with the steering rack mounts. I welded them a little high up on the crossmember to begin with.

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied




    Before the water rails go back on I cleaned and added a little sealant around the cam tower blocks. This is a common area for leaks and this simple fix supposedly keeps it from leaking further.





    water rails back on. I will fabricate a new front crossover/fill pipe and powdercoat the cam covers soon.

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied



    next I can tackle those awfully ugly water rails








    powder coated the engine lift hooks. I'm sure it'll chip off but it looks better than rust!






    Hardware needed to be replaced.

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    A little progress to report. I have been busy dressing up the engine a bit.







    new timing indicator plate which took a few weeks to get here. This allowed me to pull the distributor.






    I removed the upper valley cover and re-sealed it.






    Then I got a little busy with the wire wheel to get rid of some of the corrosion as well.

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied

    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    Got it rolling on the wire wheels. I needed to remove a lot of material from the ouside of the calipers and also grind away the "nubs" on the inside of the wheel bore. It looks super long without the doors or front bodywork but the wheelbase is the correct 94.5-95"






    Leave a comment:

  • 275NART
    Active Users

  • 275NART
    replied
    Originally posted by C5GTO View Post
    It's great to see another classic Ferrari project underway. You've hinted at it for a while, I'm glad to see you're now revealing some details.

    I'm a bit surprised at how little of the P1800 is actually being used. Just an observation, not a slight in any way.

    My 2 cents on body materials. I'd suggest aluminum unless that sounds way out of reach for you. I went the fiberglass route for the main body on mine and I'd do it in aluminum if I were to do it again. The fiberglass route sounded easier and faster at the time. Looking back I don't think it was either. Knowing what I know now, aluminum is a great material for a 1 off project. If you're planning to make more than 2 or 3 of the same car, then fiberglass starts making sense. But for a 1 off, it should be faster to go with aluminum.

    Keep it up!
    Thanks Joel. Yep I really am not using much from the 1800. It's similar to the guys who only use streched fieros for their the a pillars, windshield frame, floors, and doors.

    Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X