No announcement yet.

Mercedes CLK GTR Replica from Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don, I checked what steel I have here and turns out, I have enough tube to build most of the cabin.
    Alfo, I am considering building the cabin on the shop floor and take the precautions to set-up correctly as you pointed out. Google Sketchup is fairly crude and lacks advance features but has proven itself to turn out accurate parts. Sketchup does have sort of a "home' zero XYZ , its where the red, blue and green axis lines intersect. I can easily create a corresponding zero point in the garage to indicate the chassis's location to match the drawing as you suggest. The front and rear suspension cross members are done so onto the Middle! Thanks for taking the time to post , -Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

An update on the Audi 2.7 engine. I have some down time here so I picked up a timing belt & water pump kit with all seals, gaskets and pulleys. Turns out once I got into the motor a bit we discovered it has what looks like a ridge of crud in one of the cylinders thats keeping the motor from fully rotating. I initially thought it was a bent valve but way back when I acquired this engine I was able to spin it freely so I believe its from sitting around. Its not a deal breaker but right now isnt the time to fully break this engine down, hone it and install new rings then not fire it up for 1-2 years from now. I'd rather do that when I've got all the systems around the engine in place and can properly break-in the rings (drive the car). I'll keep on the lookout for another 2.7 engine as a backup.
      Or I can put the twin turbo 2.7 in the Ferrari ???................ (evil laugh while rubbing hands together)
      I picked up this $60 inspection camera from my Local Harbor Freight to view down the cylinders thru the spark plug holes. I was actually surprised at the color image it produces.

Last edited by TRcrazy; 12-02-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Happy New Year Vinny.
        I have been watching your project from the start, it's wonderful. I am learning a lot from you.
        Take care of yourself and your family.
        See you soon.
        Christophe from France.

Comment

Hello Christophe ! happy new year to you too. Good to see you here.
          I said I don't want to tear open this engine.... well I did and I'm glad .

Water had made its way into cylinder #5.
          This is after a thorough cleaning.....not good. Searching for another engine or ideally just a short block. Stay tuned.
          Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-04-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

After all these years I bought a parts washer, now we have nice clean parts to go back on. Well, not back on this motor at least.

,m
            .Notice the labels on everything, when you have CRS this is what you need to do.

Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-04-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Vinny, I made the move to AZ and thought I would check in on your progress. Did you find a motor? Maybe we need to talk. I'll call you later. New user name and could not message you.
              Chip

Comment

Hey Chip, good to catch up with ya.
                I added a 300w engine oil pan heater to the underside of the Parts Washer Tank . The garage is only heated when I'm working in there so the fluid can get a bit chilly. My temp gun showed 48F deg fluid temp when I started, the heater raised the temp to 78F deg which cleans a lot better (8 deg C to 25 deg C). Its very flexible silicone construction has 3M adhesive on one side to affix it to whatever needs warming up. So far so good. The heater pad size is 6" x 8", 200mm x 150mm, it was off Ebay for $20 -Vince
                Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-11-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X