Modern-day Miura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Jambs (cont.)

I’m making the last couple of extraneous pieces to finish up the passenger side lower door jamb. Chevrolet designed the C4 passenger side door post with a pinch weld oriented to the outside of the car where on the drivers side it’s oriented to the front to the car. Given this outward orientation, I was left with a small hole in the sheet metal that should be sealing off the door post forward of the door hinges.

While the hole is only about 1” square, it’s complicated by elevation changes around the edges. I said what the heck; let’s try to fill it from a single piece of sheet. Once I had made a cardboard template, the sheet is only 3 ” by 1 ” but it takes an origami like state of mind to form it. After folding, hammering and generally coercing six 90 degree bends into the small sheet and 2 small welds later, here’s the result.

This example really underscores the notion that the size of the piece is only loosely associated with the time it takes to make it. I still need to weld the piece into the surrounding metal, but the challenging origami like process is done.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Comment

• Hey Joel;

Hope all is well out your way. Any updates on your progress?

Cheers
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post
        Hey Joel;

Hope all is well out your way. Any updates on your progress?

Cheers
        Don
        I'm still keeping ahead of the Covid bug but have been gagging on all the California fire smoke. Because of the hazardous air conditions, I've been caught up in a bunch of honey doo projects around the house over the last few weeks. I have been making some progress on the Miura but it's a bunch of small things that don't photograph that well so it's hard to articulate a decent update.
        Joel Heinke

Comment

• Rear opening hammer form

I finally finished up the hammer form for the Miura rear opening. The Miura has a grill opening just above the roll pan that lets hot air escape from the engine compartment. This hammer form is built up from 12, 1" thick pieces of MDF that were individually shaped on a CNC router and then glued together.

Prior to glueing, I cut out the middle portion of each layer to remove weight. This in effect makes the hammer form hollow in the middle. Then after glueing and because it was still fairly heavy, I cut out the rectangular sections from the top. I didn't think the side and bottom edges of the actual opening would be strong enough for the type of hammering I anticipate, so I reinforced them using kevlar fiber infused body filler. I plan to turn the flange in the aluminum sheet that forms the opening using a rubber hammer. Hopefully with the bondo reinforcement, it will stand up to some decent hammer blows.

After filing the exposed hammer form surfaces smooth, I used a high build primer to seal and then bright yellow Rustoleum paint to make it look decent.

I think after this hammer form serves its purpose for body shaping, it might just make a great garage wall shelf.
          Joel Heinke

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X