Modern-day Miura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Jambs (cont.)

I’m making the last couple of extraneous pieces to finish up the passenger side lower door jamb. Chevrolet designed the C4 passenger side door post with a pinch weld oriented to the outside of the car where on the drivers side it’s oriented to the front to the car. Given this outward orientation, I was left with a small hole in the sheet metal that should be sealing off the door post forward of the door hinges.

While the hole is only about 1” square, it’s complicated by elevation changes around the edges. I said what the heck; let’s try to fill it from a single piece of sheet. Once I had made a cardboard template, the sheet is only 3 ” by 1 ” but it takes an origami like state of mind to form it. After folding, hammering and generally coercing six 90 degree bends into the small sheet and 2 small welds later, here’s the result.

This example really underscores the notion that the size of the piece is only loosely associated with the time it takes to make it. I still need to weld the piece into the surrounding metal, but the challenging origami like process is done.
    Joel Heinke
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&amp]Be original; don't be afraid of being bold![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

• Hey Joel;

Hope all is well out your way. Any updates on your progress?

Cheers
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post
        Hey Joel;

Hope all is well out your way. Any updates on your progress?

Cheers
        Don
        I'm still keeping ahead of the Covid bug but have been gagging on all the California fire smoke. Because of the hazardous air conditions, I've been caught up in a bunch of honey doo projects around the house over the last few weeks. I have been making some progress on the Miura but it's a bunch of small things that don't photograph that well so it's hard to articulate a decent update.
        Joel Heinke
        [SIZE=1][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&amp]Be original; don't be afraid of being bold![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

• Rear opening hammer form

I finally finished up the hammer form for the Miura rear opening. The Miura has a grill opening just above the roll pan that lets hot air escape from the engine compartment. This hammer form is built up from 12, 1" thick pieces of MDF that were individually shaped on a CNC router and then glued together.

Prior to glueing, I cut out the middle portion of each layer to remove weight. This in effect makes the hammer form hollow in the middle. Then after glueing and because it was still fairly heavy, I cut out the rectangular sections from the top. I didn't think the side and bottom edges of the actual opening would be strong enough for the type of hammering I anticipate, so I reinforced them using kevlar fiber infused body filler. I plan to turn the flange in the aluminum sheet that forms the opening using a rubber hammer. Hopefully with the bondo reinforcement, it will stand up to some decent hammer blows.

After filing the exposed hammer form surfaces smooth, I used a high build primer to seal and then bright yellow Rustoleum paint to make it look decent.

I think after this hammer form serves its purpose for body shaping, it might just make a great garage wall shelf.
          Joel Heinke

Comment

• Time for some paint

I was starting to work on the interior door frame parts that will mate up with the door jambs and it became obvious that I should finish up the structural parts of the door frames first. In addition, the door jambs are to a point that it will be very inconvenient/hard to remove the door post/cowl/windshield frame unit when the door jambs are built out further. So I decided now was time to do all the final welding, sandblasting and paint work on these pieces. I put down all the final welds on the altered donor C4 Corvette door frames and pulled all the to be painted items from the chassis.

The only place I have for sandblasting and paint is out doors. Fortunately the weather is still warm and it’s very dry in California this time of year. Here are all the pieces after sandblasting and primer.

For painted chassis parts, I like to use a subdued color that doesn’t show dirt and dust that much. I chose gloss smoke grey for these parts. This color should compliment most any Miura appropriate body color and certainly won’t upstage it.

Getting paint into all those nooks and crannies without having a bunch of runs is quite a chore. Most of these surfaces are going to be covered up anyway so the couple of runs won’t matter in the end. What matters most is getting all the bare metal is well covered and especially where aluminum will be in direct contact so galvanic corrosion can be avoided.

One more sticky, smelly, and otherwise close contact with nasty liquids now accomplished!
            Joel Heinke

Comment

• Corner braces for front clip framework

In parallel with painting the windshield and door frames, I made some corner braces for added triangulation in the front clip framework. I decided to make the braces to be glued in place versus welding them in. I chose glue in to avoid more welding HAZ areas.

The braces are made from Al 5052 .063 thickness. Here are two of them, one in completed state and the other prior to having “lightening” holes punched in it.

The flanges for gluing are 10 inches long by 1 ” wide for one and by 1” wide for the other. This should give plenty of surface area for the glue to hold. A divot was needed on one flange to go over a weld bead. I used a bead roller to make the divot prior to turning the flange. I bought a 1 ” punch and flare tool from Mittler Bros. to make the lightening holes in these braces.

Now gluing these in place may sound easy but it wasn’t. I needed to glue them with the framework held level and without any twist in it. This meant doing it “latched in place” which means tight spaces and limited backside access. It also takes a lot of clamps and creative ways to place them. There are 6 more clamps not showing in the picture on the backside of the upper two braces.

Here are the braces after glued in place.

You might notice the different orientation of the rearward braces from the front most. The rear braces are flipped to get sufficient clearance over the front bulkhead.
              The braces have added quite a bit of torsional rigidity to the framework. It now has very little sag when being lifted from one of the rear corners.

Joel Heinke

Comment

• Hey Joel
                Those corner gussets are sweet , dimple die holes add so much strength , nice to bond them in no warping or cracking .

Comment

• Hey Joel
                  Just came across these on Bring a Trailer , pricey but man oh man they are sexy !!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/campagnolo/

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcata View Post
                    Hey Joel
                    Just came across these on Bring a Trailer , pricey but man oh man they are sexy !!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/campagnolo/
                    Yes, I'd love to find a set of wheels with that same look. The problem with that set (besides the current $6K bid) is that they are 15" and thus not big enough to work with modern disc brakes. I'm looking for a set that are 17" and not made of magnesium. If you looked at the comments, the general consensus was that those wheels would need to be stripped, crack tested, and then re-finished if no cracks found. So not only a sky high bidding price, but you're not even sure if you're getting a useable set of rims for that price.
                    Joel Heinke

Comment

• Originally posted by C5GTO View Post

Yes, I'd love to find a set of wheels with that same look. The problem with that set (besides the current $6K bid) is that they are 15" and thus not big enough to work with modern disc brakes. I'm looking for a set that are 17" and not made of magnesium. If you looked at the comments, the general consensus was that those wheels would need to be stripped, crack tested, and then re-finished if no cracks found. So not only a sky high bidding price, but you're not even sure if you're getting a useable set of rims for that price.
                      You might consider these Schott Modsport. But, they start at 18" diameter. It's getting difficult to find a staggered width tire combo in 17" sizes where the tire diameter and sidewall matches front to back.

https://www.schottwheels.com/wheel/m...shed/1546-463/

The style comes in flat and concave.

Brian
                      Last edited by deatonbt; 10-16-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Joel,

You can buy exact replica wheels in aluminium direct from Italy from Roin Technology.

http://www.rointechnology.com/indexx...ca=lamborghini

Don’t believe what you hear about how hard Italians are to do deal with. I bought a set of replica wheels for my project from them and they shipped DHL to Australia. Arrived within 6 days of leaving Italy with tracking the whole way. They communicate very efficiently over email.

No, they aren’t cheap, but they are new and the quality is outstanding. They can customise colour and centre hub dimensions.

You can get modern brakes to fit within 15 inch wheels with a bit of effort. The GT40 crowd do this. Hi-SPEC brakes out of the UK do some that will fit (even 6 piston), as do Wilwood. Key as you know Is to get your wheels first and work backwards.

ps - your project is amazing!

Luke

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X