Modern-day Miura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
    The transverse gm 5.3 v8 with the auto box or gmf40 Manual would be the easy choice
    Cutlass442: This is the motor designated as LS4 that came in the Monte Carlo and Impala, right? If so, I did look into it. The automatic trans that came with it was a non-starter out of the gate because it requires a GM PCM to shift it and I didn't want that dependency. As to the engine itself. I generally like the LS engines except for the old technology pushrod/rocker arm aspect. The LS4 though is a downpower model that uses some parts unique to it (e.g. intake, starter, etc.) and thus I wouldn't have full leverage of the LS aftermarket parts community. So for these reasons, I ruled out the LS4.

Thanks for mentioning it though...
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Comment

Too late now but.....

Surely the VW/Bentley W12 engine is the answer to your V12 dilemma?
      It has 12 cylinders but in the length of a V8 much like the VW VR6 is the same length as a 4 cylinder engine.

Comment

W12

Originally posted by zagato750gt View Post
        Surely the VW/Bentley W12 engine is the answer to your V12 dilemma?
        It has 12 cylinders but in the length of a V8 much like the VW VR6 is the same length as a 4 cylinder engine.
        Ok, let me give my thoughts on the VW/Bentley W12 as it relates to the Miura project since it has been brought up a couple of times. There's two core reasons for wanting to use a V12 in this car: 1) to mimic the original Miura engine look and 2) the engine/exhaust sounds unique to an even firing V12. There's also other engine selection criteria that I'll enumerate below.

So VW/Bentley W12...

Pros
        • Shorter in length than V12, about the same length and width of a V8
        • Produces an acceptable amount of power without extensive modification

Cons
        • Not an even firing engine. I can't say I've even heard one but I've seen some people's comments that it has a funny sounding exhaust note.
        • It has 12 cylinders but doesn't look like a V12 so it doesn't mimic original Miura engine look
        • It's a unique engine that doesn't yet have an aftermarket community of any size yet
          • All parts from a single source - VW factory. If I wanted to change the cams or the EFI there's no aftermarket parts like this available.
          • There's no real way to "crowd source" answers to technical questions as very few people have first hand experience with W12
          • There's no body of knowledge amongst EFI tuners as it relates to W12. I can take a Coyote or LS engine to almost any EFI tuner and they've already got experience and a good settings dataset from already having tuned them.

So a big part of the Miura look is what you see out the rear cockpit window. Specifically, a set of downdraft Weber carburetors. Here's what's already available for the Coyote...

Can I buy a similar setup for the W12? Not likely.

There's my thoughts.
        Joel Heinke

Comment

What about the sexy Mercedes twin turbo v12 from the s/sl/cl65?

Stock it has 604 hp and torque like a freight train, can easily be chipped for more power.

Just not sure how easy it is to get the electrics under control?

Comment

Fellow Members, Joel's chassis will be done in the next few days, and we have all seen the pictures of the gearbox progress. Both of these items were designed exclusively for the Coyote engine. I know how much money he has spent with me and can guess at how much he has spent on the development of that gearbox. Joel is already several tens of thousands of dollars invested in the Coyote engine for this project, I believe his engine decision is pretty much set in stone.

Comment

Merc V12

Originally posted by Casper View Post
              What about the sexy Mercedes twin turbo v12 from the s/sl/cl65?

Stock it has 604 hp and torque like a freight train, can easily be chipped for more power.

Just not sure how easy it is to get the electrics under control?
              Ok, my thoughts on the Merc V12 biturbo as it relates to Miura project. I did look into it a few months back.

Of the V12s I looked into, it's the largest (by far) in length and width. Another mark against it is that it only comes with automatic transmissions in the Merc sedans/limos. I'm guessing the only place it's hooked up to a manual trans is in a Pagani and Merc does a custom build for the Pagani cars. So for a guy like me to use the Merc V12 it's a custom bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc. Then as Casper pointed out, there's the electronics. I don't think this engine in its turbocharged form is separable from it's factory ECU/electronics without having the R&D budget equal to the GNP of a small country. Everything I've heard about the modern Mercs is that everything in the car is computer controlled, very high tech, and the various onboard computers are all inter-connected. Then when you look at the Merc aftermarket community. None, except for maybe eye candy like carbon fiber cup holders.

So I guess you can see why I didn't pursue using the Merc V12.
              Joel Heinke

Comment

Joel, you've done your research & i agree with your logic.
                Don't over complicate things with the engine.Go with a tuneable strong american engine with lots of aftermarket parts.I am sure you can find ways to make that engine sound amazing.
                Stay strong & build that beautiful modern-day Miura asap.
                https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011584922711

Comment

Miura chassis construction continues

More chassis progress pictures.

Joel Heinke

Comment

The first picture shows a typical dogbone detail. On long panels, they are about every 16-20 inches. It only takes about seven hours to glue up a chassis, but it has to be done over several days because one section has to be complete and secure before another section can be added to it. The second pic shows the first assembly, the two floorpans, the two tunnel sides, the front main bulkhead with horizontal stiffener, and the rear main bulkhead with horizontal stiffener.

Comment

Body design continues

I went to the body shop thatís painting my Ferrari GTO yesterday (yes, thereís been progress on GTO, 2nd round of block sanding is now done) and showed Frank Zucchi the shop owner the Miura body design pictures. He told me about the last Miura SV he painted and they had modified the rear fenders to take wider tires. They had moved the wheel openings outward but had left the width at rear corners unchanged. The rear fenders were done with a rounded taper from the wider openings back to the rear corners. He said it really looked good once they had worked the body into the right taper over and behind the rear wheel openings.

In looking at my digital redesign for the Miura rear, it looked as though the widening would also move the rear corners outward. I didnít specifically mean to do that but determined the photo I started with was making it look that way. I think itís because to photographer was so close to the car when they took the picture that only the very back of the car is visible in picture.

As a reminder, here's my first attempt.

So I took a second run at what I want the rear of the Miura to look like. You can now clearly see the added taper between the wheel openings and rear corners.

I found using 2 different pictures enabled me to show the body shape difference the best. I found photos that appeared to be taken from a similar distance and angle. The yellow car is a ďstandardĒ Miura SV (or as ďstandardĒ as any 60s/70s era coach built Italian car can be) and the red car is a one off Miura SVR model.

The Lambo factory built this SVR car as a tribute to the Miura Jota racing prototype that had been destroyed during testing. The SVR is a lot wider than the SV in the rear fenders. I had to do a bunch of Photoshop work to narrow the SVR down some and add back a bunch of details from the SV. But having done that, I think this photo now shows the look Iím after. That is, minus the extra screened over body openings (black in color) on the fender bottoms.
                      Joel Heinke

Comment

That brings back memories. I forgot all about the Ford Maveric taillights.

Comment

First Miura Inspired Road Trip

Iím now on a road trip to pick up the Miura chassis. The road trip is from the San Francisco bay area to Fort Worth, Texas with a 5 day layover in Phoenix, AZ to watch my son play in the Junior Boys National Volleyball tournament. Just as I was crossing the AZ border yesterday, Charley called to let me know the basic chassis assembly was completed and ready to come off the chassis table.

He sent a couple of pictures and I thought Iíd share them as chassis details are now becoming visible.

Front suspension area

Rear suspension area

Charley is still working on the A arms and uprights that will complete the suspension. More pictures to come as the road trip progresses.
                          Joel Heinke

Comment

Amazing fast work and delivery Charley. I am also amazed that the frame actually fits the Miura s the Chupacabra is such a forward cabin design. The Mira has a mile of frame in front of the cockpit so I am curious to see how it all shapes out.

Looks awesome so far.

Don
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                              Amazing fast work and delivery Charley. I am also amazed that the frame actually fits the Miura s the Chupacabra is such a forward cabin design. The Mira has a mile of frame in front of the cockpit so I am curious to see how it all shapes out.

Looks awesome so far.

Don
                              Don, you are right. We did a 3D overlay to determine locations. The main hoop location in relation to the back of the door had to be moved back and was the factor driving the thing, but also had to meet a compromise and still leave enough room for the engine and transmission. Even still, when it did move back, it left your mile of frame in front. Joel is well over six feet tall but I believe an eight foot tall person would fit comfortably.

Comment

Joel left here yesterday with his chassis to make the long trip back to Northern California. I shot a video with him before he left, it can be seen on YouTube at StricklandRacingInc.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X