X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Don's Build Progress

Originally posted by tobygaff

How much heat will JB Weld take? :-)
    I never know whether these questions are serious when asked on this site .

Comment

Originally posted by 496fe
      Originally posted by tobygaff

How much heat will JB Weld take? :-)
      I never know whether these questions are serious when asked on this site .

I'll use 2 smiley faces next time. Of course its not serious... everyone knows that duct tape would be the appropriate way to fix that issue. :-) :-)

Comment

Don, is that thin wall steel tubing? I can tell you from direct experience that unless you use stainless tubing, it will overheat in a turbo application and then split/crack where the metal is thin around a bend. I had nothing but problems with the header on my quad-4, had to tear it out of there many times to weld up cracks that turned into holes, and eventually had to start over. I used .125 wall tubing the second time since stainless mandrel bent tubes were unavailable. No more cracking after using thick wall tubing. Just a thought, I'd hate to have you go through the same nightmare I did with thin wall Summit/Jegs pre-bent tubing.

Comment

496fe;

I won't be putting a turbo on this one. I just want to get a decent set of headers on to the engine and build the rest of the exhaust out of 2.5" and be done with it. The rest of the motor is pretty much bone stock so if I could find another front exhaust manifold to use on the rear head, I wouldn't even be building headers for this project. Those are hard to find up here and when you get one, you need to grind a bunch away from the top inside edge anyway as the positioning is different for each side. I thought I might as well do a quick set of headers instead of grinding up a front manifold.

Erik;

Thanks for the info. I am using 16 gauge steel all around so far. The exhaust ports are 16 gauge steel wrapped around the form I made and then migged and the reminder of the mandrel bent stuff looks to be 16 gauge as well. If that is too thin, I can easily go get some thicker walled stuff. I am off to Vancouver tomorrow to pick up the 308 replica and I can pop into an auto parts place there as I don't have much availability of variations over here....

Toby;

Duct tape would be a good start but I would also use the aluminum exhaust tape you see at Autozone or NAPA parts place that gives you some glue as well in the kit.... The duct tape can hold it all in and on around the tight corners.....

Cheers guy sand thanks for the input
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

A bit of unexpected progress on the car yesterday. I was going to fit the new headlight bucket prototype into the car but found out the opening was not correct so I had to cut away some of the hood. That drove needing to finish setting the hood shape so I can fit the headlight bucket properly.

I ended up setting the side shape last night on once side and will do the other today so I can put the hood back on to the car to get the pivots placed properly to meet up with the front bumper.

Always something simple that drives other more complicated items...... ;D

Cheers
            Dion
            Attached Files
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by Don
              Erik;

Thanks for the info. I am using 16 gauge steel all around so far. The exhaust ports are 16 gauge steel wrapped around the form I made and then migged and the reminder of the mandrel bent stuff looks to be 16 gauge as well. If that is too thin, I can easily go get some thicker walled stuff. I am off to Vancouver tomorrow to pick up the 308 replica and I can pop into an auto parts place there as I don't have much availability of variations over here....
              16 ga is fine. It is the heaviest gauge normally used for headers (except, of course, turbo headers that need to support more weight). Some header mfgers. use 18 ga.

Comment

It is the only thing that keeps me going right now. have 2 weeks of treatments before I can start on mine like the shorty headers.
                If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Dave;

Great to see you here again. I hope the treatments are going well for you. Keep in touch buddy.

Don
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by FunnyWheels
                    It is the only thing that keeps me going right now. have 2 weeks of treatments before I can start on mine like the shorty headers.
                    Man i love seeing you on here! I miss your posts!
                    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
                    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
                    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
                    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
                    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                      In these pics you can see how much I am going to have to adjust the sides of the hood as the new one is a couple inches wider at the top. The curvature is also out near the windscreen but I won't know how much I have to adjust until I get it all fit in place and see where it needs work.
                      how much work was done on the hood
                      In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Comment

Not much;

I had top cut about 1" off each side but the curvature of the hood fits the extended windscreen quite well. Most of my work has been adjusting the curvature of the front section where the hood bolts to the pivot arms. There was quite a bit of variance in that area so I have had to cut the inner skin away from the outer and readjust everything to have the upper skin sit flush with the bumper and the fender sides.
                        I think I needed to add about 3/4" into the area under the front lip to get the pivots in the right spot for my build.

Hope that helps.
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X