eXtreme 355 build diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: eXtreme 355 build diary

i'am sure once this car is built and finished then people can see you can get the extreme kit in canada /usa with no problems, and they can go and see it in the flesh, then there will be more cars from extreme making there way across to you guys.
    ashley can stop doing the lottery ;D

Comment

I was thinking about putting a turbo into the car...but I decided that I rather go for original 355 lights, 19" wheels and racing seats upholstered in some fine British leather with embroidery...hahaha...the motor has 120,000km so it should be good for a while - and then I can still change it. And with an estimated 180-190 hp it should go 0-60 in around 6-7 seconds. That's not too bad.
      And to be honest - a nice 355 engine cover will come first. So embarrassing when someone tells you how nice your car is and asks to see the motor...

Comment

180-190 hp from a stock 2.2L??? I don't think your going to be pulling even close to that much. I think your lucky if you get 135hp The stock turbo only makes around 165 - 175 hp at the wheels and 200 to 235 at the flywheel.

Comment

Hi Kermit
          The mR2 I got is from Germany. It is the 3S-3G and has 156 PS. All I know is that German PS (PS is short for "PferdeStärke" which translates Pferd=Horse and Stärke=Strength) and HP is the same. So the car already has 156 hp. And the turbo has 220 hp and the 94- models have 240hp.
          We'll see how much we will get out of it ;-)

Comment

PS isnt the same as HP, look up a converter on google. you will probably be around the 160hp mark at the flywheel if you change the intake, exhaust, and other things. still, it all depends on what you do with the car and how you drive it.
            Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

and here is the result:
              156 PS = 153.86 hp due to
              http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/converter.htm

Comment

here's the next pic.
                It shows some of the panels put on the car to try the fit. I'll describe a little later on how to do this fit and how to prepare for the next steps.

Attached Files

Comment

ok, as promised a more detailed description. All eXtreme body panels are made in a way that they line up nicely with the original parts of the MR2..meaning they fit almost perfect. And even if they are out 1 or 2 mm the DVD shows you where to put a small cut to make it fit. I'm no mechanic and not really a handyman person so I have the car build. But I have a copy of the Build DVD and I follow each step to understand what happens. I think this DVD is a great idea. It really is a step by step description. It shows you were all the screwa and bolts are, how to unplug things and how to install the parts. It's 1.15 hrs !
                  Once the part, in this case it was the door skin, perfectly fits you have to drill some holes, mix the bonding paste that comes with the kit and attach the parts.

Now, the last picture shows the rear quarters, the hood, the panel above the taillights and the roof section. The next step is to install the doors and then line-up the rear side panel. The holes you have to drill in the body panels are a little bigger than the bolts - this way you can slightly move the parts to get the perfect gaps and the best allignment. You can use a small piece of wood or so and put it between the panels to get the same gap width.

Now, as you can see, there is a pretty big gap between the top of the side panel and the roof section. This is for a reason...it will be bridged with bonding paste. And as the bonding paste is flexible you won't get a crack later.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob123
                    Hi Kermit
                    The mR2 I got is from Germany. It is the 3S-3G and has 156 PS. All I know is that German PS (PS is short for "PferdeStärke" which translates Pferd=Horse and Stärke=Strength) and HP is the same. So the car already has 156 hp. And the turbo has 220 hp and the 94- models have 240hp.
                    We'll see how much we will get out of it ;-)
                    Hey Rob123 What engine does this car hve in it? I have never heard of a 153hp non turbo mr2. We don't even have that here in Japan. Interesting. I would love get the specs on this engine. If you have then could you post them when you have some time? Thanks. By the way thanks for posting this build. I am sure it will be helpful for many people.

Comment

I think it was for the European market only. That's what I found (German text, sorry):

===
                      115 KW (156 PS) bei 6600/min, spezifische Leistung 78,1 PS/L
                      Hubraum 1998ccm, Bohrung x Hub 86,0 x 86,0 mm, Verdichtungsverhältnis 10.0.1
                      Max. Drehmoment 186 Nm bei 4800/min.
                      Mittlere Kolbengeschwindigkeit 18,9 m/s.
                      Ölinhalt Motor 3,9 Liter
                      Kühlsysteminhalt 13,6 Liter
                      Batterie 12 V 60Ah, Drehstromlichtmaschine 840 Watt
                      ===

and this:

When the SW20 went on sale in spring 1990, it was offered with four different engine choices depending on the market area. All engines were 2000 cc I4 engines with DOHC and 16 valves, excluding the naturally-aspirated US model which used the 2200 cc 5S-FE engine. The most powerful engine was the turbocharged 3S-GTE, which was again only available in Japan at 220 hp (164 kW) (as the MR2 GT) and the USA at 200 hp (149 kW) (as the MR2 Turbo) so Europeans had to settle with the naturally-aspirated 156 hp (116 kW) 3S-GE engine. The Japanese MR2 GT model was able to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a stunning 5.9 to 6.2 s.

Comment

Cool project. I would forget the motor upgrade and get the kit built and running first. Once the kit is finished and you drive it around for awhile, then worry about the engine.

Comment

Hi Brastic
                          That's exactly my intention. I rather invest in original lights, a nice interior and maybe an engine cover...and then - maybe - later do an engine swap. But the car gets a new exhaust anyway - and a new air filter and a chip tuning are not that much.

Comment

keep in mind theres 3 gens of the turbo, the power ranges from 200hp to 235hp.

is that the 3S-GE, 3S-FE or 5S-FE?
                            Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Mine is the non-turbo 115kw/ 156PS which is the European 3S-GE. I'll drive it and see how the performance is.

Comment

Now that you have the boot lid on, how much room does there appear to be underneath for an engine cover? I wanted to do a full intake set up on mine. I was thinking of maybe dropping the front section of the boot down & putting the air boxes & a fake exhaust cover in the boot area. I havent got my deck lid on yet & I just think space under there could be at a premium. I had thought of removing even more of the lower skin of the engine cover, but I dont want to weaken it.
                                308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X