Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don View Post
    Should it stay running if I disconnect the battery from the emerg terminal??
    Hi Don... yes, the car should stay running if you disconnect the battery because while running, the alternator is what's powering the car, not the battery. But it isn't a good idea to run that way for very long since the battery acts as a buffer for current spikes in the electrical system.

For the wiring, it looks to me like you've got your alternator wired wrong. Here's how it should be:

S = battery Sense, and gets connected to the battery "+" terminal. You can pigtail it straight to the "BAT" terminal on the alternator, but it usually goes through a fusible link for protection. I'm not sure what current rating for the fuse is appropriate.

F or I = Field or Ignition, it's what powers the field coil during running and must be connected to a "Hot in Run" source.

L = Light, and is connected to one side of the "Volts" indicator bulb. The other side of the light is connected to a "Hot in Run, Bulb Test, or Start" source... usually the "Gages" fuse. Essentially, when the engine is running the bulb gets power to both terminals, one from the battery, the other from the alternator, so it doesn't illuminate . With the engine stopped and ignition switch on, the bulb sees 12V on the terminal connected to the Gage fuse (battery) and gets a ground through the alternator, so it lights up. Same thing if the engine is running but the alternator isn't working (broken belt, faulty alternator, etc).

Edit to add: P = not used.

Comment

• Wooo Hoo ! Great news on getting the car running smooth Don. I've been following along on the sidelines, hoping I could come up with an answer but I've been no help. But we're lucky to have fellow members here that share their knowledge and reach out to help.
      Blooze, I read Don's description of the alternator wiring and remembered wayyyy back in the late 80's, I was chasing a charging problem on my brothers 87 Chevy Cavalier, A wise old Tech took all of 20 seconds to find the problem. Change the 35 cents bulb on the dash cluster for the Alternator light. That was the problem. I couldn't believe that the bulb could knock out the charging circuit!
      Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRcrazy View Post
        I couldn't believe that the bulb could knock out the charging circuit!
        Yep! It's actually part of the circuit. Crazy eh?

Comment

• Thanks guys;

Dave I asked Wayne to look at this alternator as well yesterday and he has the same wiring on his alt as you describe so I am definitely not hooked up right. I don't have the dash in right now so the charge light is not hooked up so wonder if that could also be a part of the problem. Will hook everything up and finish the wiring off the alt.

I took the drive line out for hopefully the last time yesterday so I can finish up the engine bay and then put the drive line back in for final fitment and then I can put the rear suspension in and get it back on the ground for eh first time in about 5 years.....

More to come
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Been working on final electrical cleanup ready to finish the wiring tray and also made a cover for the bottom of rear window where the engine lid now comes up past the rear window bottom. The interior has a window frame I made but the exterior also needed the cleanup. I bought a new bead roller as well and wanted to put in some beads but found out my first lesson is to use the bead roller before putting in the additional bends. The piece won't go through the bead roller well enough now to put the beads in. Oh well, opportunity to play with the new toy lost in the first go round....

Pics of progress soon
            Don
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Outstanding!

Can hardly wait to see pics....those of us with limited imagination, need visual stimulation beyond words on a page..LOL!

Glad you are still making headway....as to the bad bead experience...sometimes flattening the "learning" curve has thorns! I have learned to embrace "mistakes" myself..they show you where the work needs to be done, and generally allow you to avoid doing "that" again.

Keep the updates coming...oh...and BTW....thank you to yourself and everybody who has taken on the task of getting this forum back to what it used to be, a welcome relief, to be sure.

Comment

• Thanks for the update Don, and you're gonna dig having the bead roller in the shop. You'll be able to create a lot of shapes, make one-off custom panels and do embossing like flames etc. Metal shaping is an addiction that's fed by tool acquisition. Have fun !
                . I follow Lazze on his Youtube channel for Metal shaping, I believe Joel (c5gto) attended his workshop classes.
                He includes the bead roller in most of his project videos, Here's his channel:
                https://www.youtube.com/user/lazzemetalshaping
                Have fun, -Vince

Comment

• Hey Vince;

Yes I have watched several of his videos. Very talented.

TDW;
                  Adding pics now.

The engine bay work is progressing. As stated, moved around some last wiring to make it fit better into the engine bay and wiring tray. Making the tray updates this weekend to be able to then paint it and heat seal it to be put back in.

From this very poor picture, which I did not notice the back glare from the lights until went to update it now for posting, you can kind of see in the lower portion to the window that there is the back die of a filler piece I made in the cockpit to cover up what ends up now being the engine bay on these replicas. On the engine bay side, when the engine lid is closed, it is not visible but when you open the lid, the back of the filler piece is visible. My answer was to make a simple plate that will cover the lower window to the same height as the filler so it is always covered. This filler piece is the one I wanted to put some beads in a X pattern but found out you do that before adding in the 90* bends..... Noobui mistake for sure...

The piece that will go in there. I had another pic of it installed as well but it was even worse for back glare than the one above so pretty much useless. The bend is out of it by the time I put onto the car..... May still try to do some form of bead rolling just a bit more simplistic perhaps. This is the window side.

Also did up a new engine cover lettering more specific to the engine. I like it and isn't quite as in your face as the Ferrari was....

308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Wao, Great.

I think for that you will need Some spare parts. So you can contact Tom Vail's collection in USA.

Comment

• Wow ! "Blast from the Past" Kit4me here..... I haven't been to the forum for quite sometime (bad car accident) .

Man I'd love to steal your hood for my 308 !!! Every time I look over your build thread, It prompts me to re-work my hood / headlight area. I did have custom metal made for the vent material and cut out the hood vent area / fake vents on the original hood. I've actually began finishing up a few things on this 3rd 308 V8 replica / possibly thinking of selling it now, but just ran across your build thread / re-worked hood again. I'm jealous for sure. Wish I had the time to re-work mine....

I actually ran across someone with some Stinger 308 parts (who had a hood) , that I tried to buy, but he dropped off the face of the earth....

Looking good. Just wanted to comment. (Lock your garage door - I'm coming for that hood !!!! )
                      Last edited by kit4me; 05-24-2020, 02:24 PM.
                      Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
                      Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Comment

• Coming along nicely Don.
                        Whatever became of the tube chassis Fiero at the beginning of this thread ? -Vince

Comment

• Not sure Vince;

I sold it to HTXremes and he sold on to someone else who ended up putting an Audi V8 and trans in the frame and painted it or powder coated bu that is the last I saw of the frame. Last I saw it was up for sale for $10k when I saw the drive line and painted but was several years ago now as well.

Not sure what happened to it but it really was a very cool frame. The original builder was/is very talented as he did it all in his 1 car garage in Oregon. When I picked it up, he was going to packing the rest of his kit and leaving for Mid East US the next morning so no idea where any of that story has gone.
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Hi Don
                            long time dude

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X