Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Next Project

Originally posted by Don
    Not a stick in the mud at all. I have a draft contract from Wyatt right now to review to see if I can have him adjust the Garra to fit my frame design.

Not stealing anything here at all. Wyatt would be doing the design for the car if I go that way.

Cheers
    Don
    Unbelivable Don!!!

Please let me know when the chassis arrives. I would love to come over and see it. I am in Edmonton for the next few days but i'll email you when I get back. Say Hi to Wyatt for me. He and I chat quite a bit on the net. I think you will be extremely happy withi his work.
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Comment

Don, I'm sure glad you're at least thinking of doing the Garra. I talked with Wyatt 3 or 4 years ago and he had a pending deal in Europe on the car but that obviously fell through. That is too good a design to let sit. Go for it.

Mike

ps glad I didn't upset you either! ;D Thanks.

Comment

Hey Don, I got your e-mail. That's chassis is great to have for a one-off design. What powertrain was the 5" stretch originally intended for? I estimated that, in a Fiero chassis, a 3800/audi set-up would require a 9"-10" stretch. But in your custom chassis, I suppose you could move the firewall forward 4" and still make it all fit. Rob

Comment

turmite;

Nope, didn't make me mad as I would not be able to go trhrough the beautiful motions that Wyatt is so good at anyway..... 8) I can cut and reshape pretty well to get my thoughts in foam for smaller items but having a design to start from will be much easier to work with than ground up if I go that way. It really is a beautiful design and I quite like it. I think my final decision will depend a lot on how it ends up looking against the revised placement of the windshield and roof lines etc. The Garra has quite a forward placed screen so I need to see what it will look like with the new placement.

Rob (Amida);

Good to see you got my email. Interested?

The frame is designed for a 5" stretch and has a Porsche trans mated to a Chev V8. It all fits in there as you can see through the Pennock's build where Doug had everything sitting in the frame a couple times. He has done such a nice job on the frame and design.

For everyone to see the process Doug went through to put this frame together here is a link to his build thread. Be warned though you will need a few hours to read through it all as the thread is long and once you start, you won't wnat to stop.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/048610.html

Okay, I have to go out to the garage now and get the passenger door on my current kit sorted out as it warped on me when I removed the coke bottle shape so I have about 1" mismatch at the top rear of the door to get sorted out today.

Once that is done, I am really and truly ready to start finsih sanding my body getting ready for paint. It is getting so close.

Cheers
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Wow, I'm so glad that chassis stayed somewhere I can keep my eye on it. Gus was doing such amazing work, and it would have made a very nice fiero, but I'm glad you'll be making it into something more exotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Don
              I just closed the deal to purchase the attached frame that was designed and built by a fellow in Oregon. It has been documented over on Pennock's. He is moving so needed to sell it.

I have been planning to be using his CAD drawings to build the frame for my next project so when I saw that he is selling, I jumped on the idea as the frame is the hard part for me. The body design and making is something I am more comfortable with. Cutting and shaping foam and then covering in fiberglass is more my speed than welding an entire frame.

Anyway, I pick it up early June.

My current project is about 1 month of evenings and weekends away from being off to paint so I am almost ready to go on my next one.

I just couldn't turn this down.

Cheers
              Don
              Don

Are the Cad plansstill going to be available to anyone wanting to build a chassis? I think it would work great for my future project.

Comment

Don:

How are you removing the "coke bottle" shape out of your door?

When I built FunnyWheels One I had a Mirage kit with the same problem. I wound up glassing in a 1/2 inch square tube on the indside with wooden blocks pushing the door straight. They are still strait on Bondo Bob's car today after 6 years. So I am just interested in what process you used?

Dave
                Attached Files
                If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Dave;

I ended up using a 1x2 square tube as my doors were not wanting to budge with anything less. it makes the door panel really heavy but I bolted the ends of the tube through the door panel and then tightened the bolts until it was as straight as it was going to get.

The passenger door turned out very well but the driver's door still needed a bit of filling near the front end to finish removing the bulk of the curve.

I was able to get the doors straightened and glassed this weekend and this week I am into finishing the bottoms of the door panels and then front and rear hatches. I also got into the interior pieces and prepped the door handle molds for laying up some finished pierces as well as fixed up0 the dash to accept my defroster vents better. I should have the dash finished this week as well and ready to cover. Not sure if I will make a mold of the whole thing or just the ends that I can graft on to the piece I already have molds for. I think I may go for the latter as it is easier and less work.

I ran out of fiberglass resin again so I have to head down to the store I get it from and get some more tomorrow.
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                    The frame is designed for a 5" stretch and has a Porsche trans mated to a Chev V8.
                    Don, With only a 5" stretch, was the foot box moved forward at all? Or is the firewall doubling as the seat backs? ???

Comment

Rob;

I am not sure exactly. It looks like the rear piece of the Fiero door frame mates up pretty much where the real Fiero door frame and firewall matches up as well but when I get the frame I will take lots of pics and post. Doug has the V8 and trans sitting in the frame in his post so you can see where everything sits. It is certainly tight for sure but it fits.....

I know that does not help but once I get the frame in 2 weeks, I will get info out to everyone.

I don't have the plans from Doug yet but when I do get them with the sale, I will distribute them to whomever wants them as that is what Doug was going to do as well. I don't see why I would not do the same.
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

I suspect it will be a snug fit but it will work.
                        Attached Files
                        If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Don..... did you purchase the cad drawings as well ??? what is the wheelbase ??

Trevor in Cgy

Comment

Trevor,

Originally posted by Don
                            Thanks guys;

I am excited about this future project.

The wheelbase is 5" longer than stock Fiero so it is 98.5" or there abouts. Full C5 suspension comes with theframe as well as aluminum rad with other tanks he has custom built for the frame.

Comment

Two more days and I start my 18 odd hour drive down to Eugene, Oregon to pick up the next project.

I will be getting the CAD drawings with the purchase so when I get them, they will be available to anyone that wants to have them.

Anyone free for the weekend and up for a little drive.....

TTFN
                              Don
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

that sounds like a great service to the community, and you don't lose anything really since you're picking up a chassis anyway. plus, you really wouldnt want the mess of people trying to hold you accountable if you were selling the chassis. good luck with the project. looks great.
                                Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X