No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my parts yesterday. Painter did a beautiful job. Nice start to a wet sand and buff as well. I will be taking the whole car to a detailer once the whole thing is painted and put back together for the final buff.

The only thing now is the painter has a car to do in between my parts and the main body..... I won't be getting the rest in until March. Progress is being made though.

Pictures don't show the pop in the sun very well as usual.

I have front and rear lids painted, front clip, rockers, front bumper. He painted the front bumper the red though so I will be getting him to paint it black when we do the rest of the car.... I did not specify so he guessed. Maybe I will put the front clip on and put the bumper in to see how it looks. Maybe I will keep the red but doubt it right now.

I only took pics of the lids yesterday as I have my Boxster in the garage as well doing some cleanup fro Spring and no room to move the front clip around....

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Files
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Front lid pictures.

Now the message from RCR makes sense..... As I got the same thing when I edited it to lid from clip....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Don; 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM.
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looks fantastic. Good to know that all the hard work you have put in will be topped off with a good paint job rather than be ruined by a poor one.

Comment

• Wow!! (message too short?)
          Bob
          Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• looks real nice Don. Nice to see with paint. The panels look nice and even as well.

Your ahead of me my friend. I just applyed my first coat of pollyester. Lots of sanding to to go.
            My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• Yes it looks really nice. I don't get the rest of the car into the painter until March though as he had another project that needs to get done by end of Feb so I am in after that for the rest. maybe now I will have time to finish all the small items I needed to do as well as the 355 headlight buckets, Countach bumpers and flares.... Never a lack of work to do just time to do it.

Looking forward to seeing your 430 in primer Sean. post pics buddy.

Cheers
              Don
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Wowzers Don, that car is going to look amazing.

Comment

• Car goes back into the paint shop either this coming weekend or next weekend depending on how hard it is raining up here. It is about a 40 minute drive so it would be water logged if it is a heavy rain that the West Coast gets in winter....

I put the front clip on to the car last night to confirm the alignment of the driver's door and ended having to move the driver's door out at the front to line up with the fender. Front clip looks incredible on the car. I can hardly wait to see the full car painted out.

When I took it off and fixed some internal pieces on the door, I ended up putting the front edge too far in so had to correct that before paint. Pulled the interior back out as well and I am now making defroster extensions for my new extended screen area. Made the buck last night and will make 3 of the channels to bond to the bottom of the dash piece, hook into the HVAC channels already on the PISA dash and then cut some of the Fiero screen frame out of the way to let the dash sit down flat. That will be tonight and a tomorrow night.

Cheers
                  Don
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Supposed to be not raining tomorrow and my painter has his paint bay cleared out so the car should be off to paint tomorrow....

With the car going, of course there are a few things left I wanted to do but did not do until there is a looming deadline.....

So, with that in mind, I went out tonight and worked a bit late (nothing like a deadline to get some action) to get things ready to sand in the morning before I tow it out to the shop. I installed the extended screen panel and cleaned it up and then added the fiberglass barrier to the ends since it doesn't go all the way to the end of the screen opening.

Also, I will be cutting out some channels through the stock Fiero screen frame to allow my defrosters to work in the new locations. You can see the marker lines and scratches I put in the panel that I will be cutting recesses in to allow for the channels I will be making while the car bis in the shop.

A few pics

Cheers
                    Don
                    Attached Files
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• I also put the front clip on to adjust the driver's door out a bit as I had it wrong when I put it back on after fixing some internal pieces.

It looks so good. I am looking forward to seeing the whole car this colour.....

Cheers
                      Don
                      Attached Files
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• The color looks great, Don.

Bob
                        Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by justincosgrove View Post
                          Wowzers Don, that car is going to look amazing.
                          OK if Don and Jdinner both disappear at the same time do not go getting to worried everyone.
                          It would just mean I borrowed them both for an extended period of time and they would just
                          be busy building ME a wicked looking car. DON - That color will make that car really special.

Comment

• Ferrari 288 GTO-Build-Project

That front end looks killer! Will be anxiously waiting for pics of the entire car painted that color........REALLY great color joice.

Can't tell you how much time I've spent just looking through this thread, and truly appreciate your taking the time to post pictures AND the write up.

Will be waiting and watching for updates! VERY nice work on everything and just like to say, along with many others here, you have mad skills and INFINATE patience!

HAGO!
                            Last edited by TDW; 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Makin' me blush guys...........

Thanks for the compliments. I have had a lot of fun building this project. It is getting very close to being on the road. I took the car out to the painter yesterday so hopefully the end of March has a fully painted car sitting back in my garage. I will finish up the interior parts and wire the dash up while the car is out to paint.

Feels weird having room in my garage again.....

Guess I better fill it up with work tables so I can have a few 355 headlight packages in the assembly line as well as the Countach bumper and flares.....

Cheers
                              Don
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking great Don. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X