No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went out to the painter's today and saw the progress.

He has blocked it a couple times with high build and is ready to do the last block to be ready for some paint. He is hoping by the end of the next week he should have some colour on it.

He took the doors off as well to be able to get red all through the door jambs etc. as that really adds to the final look of the car in my opinion. He also didn't like the look of the door locks on the door skins so we agreed that he would take them out and cover the hole over and I would buy a remote door locking kit since there are electric locks on the car anyway. We left the rear hatch key in place as if I run out of battery, I still have a way to get into the rear section to power the battery and use the door remote. He also cleaned up the rear inner door areas where the door skin attaches. I had cleaned all the 1/4"+ thick bondo from the inner mounts as it wasn't done very well when I got the car so he cleaned all that area up for me and it looks incredible and very finished.

A few progress pics.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Files
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking nice Don. Your body guy is doing a nice job. You should tell him to go on vacation to Disney World and stop by my place and finish my car.

Just a thought…………
      My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• He would probably do it Sean..... Great guy.

How is your's coming? You are much braver than I for doing your own painting. I found out early in the priming I was doing that I don't have the skills to go to the paint level......

Cheers
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking good! You're guy is willing to go the "extra step", which is definatly what you need with a build of this caliber.

Keep the updates coming, really looking forward to seeing it in red.

Comment

• Car is back in the garage tonight. The paint looks amazing. I now need to finish the Countach bumper and air dam and get back to putting this one back together.....

A few pics of it back the driveway. We took the doors off to get the jambs and hinge areas as well to really finish the car off better. Never liked the black jambs etc. on most kits....

Really looks nice and pics don't do the colour justice.

Cheers
            Don
            Attached Files
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looks great Don. It's really coming together nicely. Can't wait to see it after the final assembly. Color is perfect.

John

Comment

• Don the Car looks Great! Great choice of Color on it.

Comment

• Been a long time comin', but man....was it worth it! Looks fantastic. Now am looking forward to seeing it all back together. You are a very patient man...but I can only imagine how anxious you must be to take her out for a spin. Color looks great.

Comment

• It really does look great, but is that a 2.8 I see in the back?? Just kidding...Great job, Don.

Enjoy it, it's been a long time coming.

Bob
                    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• A "watsup" bump...
                      Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Bob;

I haven't started putting it back together yet. Life has been setting me back. I have fiberglassed the Countach air dam and bumper is just about finished glassing. Had to do a two part glass job since the bumper mold is so tight for fit. I still have the flares to do for the Countach and then I am on to this. I did move the passenger door out of the way the other so I could stand the crate with all my 355 panels heading off to Nova Scotia...... The flares molds are ready to go, just need to start laying gel coat and glass.....

I think these will be my last kitcar parts I produce though. Not sure what I will be doing about the 355 headlights. I still want to get the ones I had committed to but not sure how that will work out just now..... Get a better extraction fan for the garage and open th emain door a bit as well tohelp with pulling the fumes out. I really am at a loss with not being able to fiberglass much. Seems like everything I come up with for last items requires some fiberglassing work....

Cheers
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Was looking for this thread yesterday. Bummer that you can't get to glassing...I know how frustrating that can be. Still looking forward to seeing more progress on this gorgeous car whenever you do get around to it. Your fans are still waiting and faithful!

Did see you post in another build thread explaining your front end mods and how they were accomplished. "Someday" wouldn't mind having the measurements from those mods. For some reason, on the page where you list the headlight/grille measurements in this thread and have diagrams, all I get is the dreaded redX box!

Car looks so good in the last pics you posted after you brought it home from paint!

Hang in there, and we'll wait.

Comment

• Back on the car.

I made a list and I am slowly ticking items off to comeplete the first phase of this build/rebuild.

I worked on the rear trunk this past weekend as I wanted to get the dimensions sorted out to send InfiniteWill so he can make me a new rear trunk seal. I got the trunk latch plate modified and mounted to the rear wall of the trunk. I still need to make the reinforcing in behind that trunk wall where the latch plate goes so it is nice and strong. While I was fitting everything, I found out I don't have or can't find my trunk key so I had to pull it out of the lid and order a new on from the Fierotsore today. For now, most of the pics will show a black bar coming out of the lid. That is my opener so I can get back in once it latches.

I got the driver's side end box fabbed up. Not nearly as nice as the work I saw in Sean's build or the build thread with the little Fiat with the insane Lambo V12 in it , but it will seal up nicely with seam sealer and undercoating on the outside and black paint on the inside. It is all covered with carpet anyway so not as critical for the pretty factor. I had to cut the bottom of the latch bar off since I didn't have enough room to easily get the targa in and out of the trunk with the oem Fiero latch the way it was. I cut the lower section off and welded in a new plate to hold the bottom of the latching bar and that gave me an extra inch which is all I needed to get the targa in and out. The targa does not go in easily but it does go in with the new seal ledges in place. (I tested before putting any time into making metal plates and boxes.

The trunk end boxes were pretty difficult to make as there are a few different angles and ledges to seal against and I had to fit templates and then the metal all while in the trunk since the body is mounted.... Needing to be careful around the new paint job with tools and hammers and some welding was not an easy task..... No paint damage yet though......

I test fitted the driver;'s side and won't be permanently mounting everything until all is built and then I will seam seal all the outside joins and then coat the outside of the trunk metal with undercoating. Once fitted in the trunk, I will rivet the main pieces in place and tack weld all end box edges as best I can to make sure everything stays together. Seam seal all the inside joins and the plaint the trunk inside black. I was thinking about undercoating the inside of the trunk as well after seam sealing but not sure if that makes sense.

A few pics.

Cheers
                            Don
                            Attached Files
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Good to see your back working on it Don. I didn’t put much time into mine lately. Been busy with yard work and etc.
                              My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                              http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                              http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• Have to admit, it is nice getting back to this build. I am looking for ward to driving it soon. Drive it for a couple months and then pull it back into the garage to get the engine transplant. I am still waffling between the 3800 S/C I have and the 3400 DOHC..... In the end, a Ferrari 308 might just need the double over head cam engine......

Cheers
                                Don
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X