No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's great Don, thanks a million! I do understand about the rear section, and totally agree, that would be a ton of work to get the way you'd want it. So the measurements on Blooz's Stinger are pretty well the same as on a 308? Wondered about that myself. I'll have to go back through this thread and see how much detail you posted about what you had to do to the headlight mechanism to get it do work right in the new location, and figure out exactly where the new location is!

Yours is going to be a beautiful car, and even though I know you've got a new baby now, it's still got to be very rewarding to be putting this one back together at long last. Will be watching and waiting to see you take the first drive in it!

Thanks again for the info & HAGO!

Comment

• Sorry. Forgot to add the new position of the headlights. I used a 3/4x3/4" square tube and drilled a set of holes to fit in the stock Fiero headlight location. I then drilled two more holes on the other side of the square tube 3/4" to the right of the first holes.

essentially, 3/4" forwarding 3/4" outward from stock Fiero headlight locations. I also used stock Fiero headlight motors and the headlight bucket/pivot piece and built the fibreglass panels around that piece. I will get some detailed shots of the setup later this weekend.

cheers
      Don

I went out and quickly measured and it is actually 1.5" outward not 3/4". I also took a few pics I will get up later
      Last edited by Don; 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM. Reason: Took measurements
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Thanks Don, you're a prince among men! Really appreciate the info. I'm a loooong way from being at the point where I can utilize it, but now I have it when I need it. I'd enjoy/appreciate seeing anything else you care to post about your headlight mod. I'm just now starting to do the engine swap on my project , so the body work is a long way off!

Thanks again for the info.

HAGO!

Comment

• Cleaned the shop up and pulled the rear brake line last night. It was pretty much worn right through and when I pulled it out, the end fell right off. Glad I found it before trying to use the brakes to stop..... New one in tonight/tomorrow and back to putting the wiring in and aligning panels.

Cheers
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Finally an update which means I was actually able to work on the car. I want to get some work done in the next few days as I have committed to build a new interior wall that will house our flat screen and a new gas fireplace in our media room so that is going to take up the rest of October I am sure. Fireplace install has bee set for two weeks out so I have a deadline to have the wall studs and platform ready..... Always something.

Back to the fun stuff..... I remade a new brake line and bled the brakes. Probably need to do more bleeding but it has peddle now and doesn't drain fluid on to the ground any morel. I have to call that one a success.

I mounted the targa seal clips to the body yesterday. These are the 3/4"x1/8"x1/4" 16 gauge metal clips I had made so I can secure the Firebird t-top rubber seals to the body. They turned out pretty good. I applied sealant to the bottom surfaces and then used vice grips, a drill and countersunk 1/8" rivets to mount it to the rail. I was a lot of picky work that was very time consuming but they are done.

I also opened up the gauge face holes for the instruments so I can get after the wiring. If anyone hasn't noticed, I really don't care for wiring so I am doing everything else I possibly can before starting that task up..... I need to find a km speedo now though as the one that came with the kit is mph only. Not a show stopper just another item to look at. I may also have a look at my old 355 gauges and see if they might be a better look for the car.

Some pics
            Cheers
            Don
            Attached Files
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• TDW also asked about headlight mounting changes.

I took a couple pics of the bar I used and how it moved the headlight motor out and forward.

The actual amount outward was about 1.25" not 1" as I have in the picture. Square tube is also 3/4"x3/4". If I remember correctly, I also swapped headlight motor sides so the passenger is now on the driver's side. The relays are usually on the outside and after moving outward, there wasn't enough room so I swapped motors side to side.

Cheers
              Don
              Attached Files
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking amazing Don.... Im way happy for you...! keep up the great work..

Comment

• Outstanding! As always, nice work.

Thank you for the specific details about the headlights, greatly appreciated.

I understand about wanting the KPH speedo, but hey....the one you show there goes to 160MPH! That wouldn't look too bad mounted in your dash either!

Looking forward to seeing more progress, but I guess we'll have to wait till the honey-do projects are done too. Yea, I know, it's NOT just her, it's stuff YOU want to do too, I think guys like you should definately have a clone...or two...?

Keep up the great work.

HAGO!

Comment

• Looking good Don. Have you attached your gauges yet?

I'm assuming your using a electronic coolant temp gauge. Did you have to change the sending unit on the motor or are you attaching it to the OEM one?

I'm working on my cluster as well this week.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 10-01-2013, 12:47 AM.
                    My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• Sean;

I haven't got that far yet on the gauges. I have to end up attacking the wiring starting soon. Iam hoping the brains over on Pennock's are going t to be able to help me out on some of the questions I am sure I will be having around that.

I planned on using ma many oem sensors as I can until they won't work and I have to figure out aftermarket sensors. The Pisa dash kit came with instructions for wiring but I didn't see much in the way of sensor info in the document. I will have to go look again.

Of all the stuff I have done on this thing, the wiring is the part that I find most daunting to be honest.....

Cheers
                      Don
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Finished off the back of the gauge pod wiring and the centre radio console on the weekend. I ended up pulling the PISA wiring harness apart and shortening the wires and separating the lighting wires from the actual gauge wires and added in wiring plugs. Came out OK. Most important part is I can pull two plugs out and remove the gauge pod now and one plug to removed the centre radio console. I now have to run the wires from the steering column area down to the centre console area to be able to hook up to all the switches I moved down there.

That will be a few weeks though as I started the feature wall build in out media room yesterday and I have a deadline of Oct 18 to have that built so the new gas fireplace can be installed.

Nothing like a deadline to get some action.

See you guys in a few weeks.
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Good luck, Don... ;o)

Bob
                          Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• "Gotta take the hill.....er...I mean WALLl...yea, that's it....wall!"

Git-r-done! (take yer time....we'll be here.. )

Comment

• No updates on the 308 yet. Still building the entertainment wall. I did finish the wiring on the back of the gauge cluster and centre gauge cluster before putting everything away until November....

I did just buy a 1DIN cup holder/crap tray for the hole in my centre gauge cluster face where the Fiero HVAC normally goes. We will see if it turns out to be any good. From Korea so who knows.....

Cheers
                              Don
                              Attached Files
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Well, I received my my cup holder from Korea yesterday. What a piece of junk......... No horrible surprise but I was cautiously optimistic that it might actually be a decent part.

I pulled the tray out once for the firsttime and the tab that stops it broke. It took me 32 seconds to toast this thing. The upper tray would not even open at first until I worked it around and it finally opened up.

$28 well spent..... Off to ebay to complain and get my money back.

Back to square one.... sigh
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X