No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great, Don. My TIG skills are poor at best. Much better with a MIG, but practice makes perfect.

Very nice overall...

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• In to the interior. I took the dash out last night to finally hook up the defroster vents up to the heater box setup. I decided to keep practicing my TIG skills by making 16 gauge metal defroster tracks from thew heater box to the defroster vents. Screws and seam sealer will mate it up to the heater box and the underside of the dash. I made up the first one last night and have some grinding work to do tonight to make it prettier before I take pics of it..... Lots of filler metal globs as I sorted out the TIG placement and movement but it is looking good. Once these are done tonight, I can then go after the wiring I have been avoiding for so long. I am gong to MAKE myself sit in the cockpit and wire until it is all done and not allow myself to go to another project until it is all wired...... Not gonna be easy......

Pics after I get some more work done.

Cheers
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Got the defroster vents extensions finished and installed in to the dash yesterday. I had fun TIG welding and started to get the hang of it. I like it a lot more than MIG. Might need to give Wayne his TIG back and get myself one......

Defrosters vents. I had to cut into the original vent setup under the dash since the original defroster vent openings were no longer used. Cut three holes in the back side of the defroster venting and made up some 16 gauge metal extensions.

I attached the extensions with 1/8" rivets since there isn't any stress on the extensions, just needed placement. I then sealed everything up with seam sealer. What a mess that stuff is. Works well but a pita to apply where it looks OK.... Good thing this is under the dash and not on top of it the way the seam sealer was slapped on.....

A few pics.

On to wiring....uggghhhh.........

Don
        Attached Files
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Nice work Don! Don't know if you've tried this already, or if it will work with the brand of sealer you are using but back in my fighter jet days we used RTV (usually the grey stuff, but sometimes the black) to seal some panels on the Navy aircraft to avoid water intrusion. We used masking tape on either side of the intended application like a painter uses tape. Then we'd put down a bead of sealer, spit on it, and use our finger to make the smoothest and cleanest bead you could hope for. After a few minutes of cure time, we'd remove the masking tape and the sealer would look factory perfect with nice straight edges and a smooth and even distribution.

Comment

• Those new housings look great!

Curious as to your choice of materials though.

Just honing your TIG skills a little more, or would using glass have adversely affected your health too much, or is metal just a better selection for the purpose?

I'm paying close attention here, cause I'll have to do the same thing, or at least something similar when the time comes. I thought it looked like I might be able to use the stock tubing (plastic) with some modifications and additions, but that's a looong way off for me, so I'm really liking seeing how you are handling it.

As always, very nice work.

Great suggestion by jntramey too, as far as I can tell. Sounds like it would make a nice looking, as well as efficient seam. Not real sure about the spitting on it though..............But I guess a wet finger is a wet finger...doesn't really matter HOW it got wet!

Nice work Don.
            Last edited by TDW; 08-22-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• TDW;

I wanted to spend some time honing my TIG skills on something I needed but wasn't going to be a showpiece. Fiberglass would have been just as good but I chose metal to start playing with that more since the glassin' is minimal now.

I like jntramey's idea for the seams that I need to do in the trunk etc. I wasn't too worried about under the dash area for the metal pieces as they are always covered but the other areas that may be seen more often, great idea.

More work on the wiring. I set up the switches in the centre console and started wiring them up to plugs. Of course I ran out of connectors.....

A couple pics of progress.

Cheers
              Don
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Don; 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM.
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Wiring is moving along well. I have the centre console switches all done except for the four way flasher circuit. I ran out of time yesterday. There was a horrible amount of hack jobs throughout the wiring look in the car. The car being 18 years old with probably several owners with varying skills always comes back to roost.... I cut a LOT of wiring out and re-ran routes to get rid of nasty previous jobs. A good example is I found a small witch in the passenger door that looks like it was put in to have the passenger side door lock engage to unlock the door locks. I have removed the door locks and have a key fob setup so when I went to pull the wiring out, I found that the switch was wired into the passenger side door lock switch by stripping an inch of wire on the door lock wire and then wrapping the new wires on to the door lock wires. no solder, no connectors and no tape to cover the connection point...... I pulled all of it and reran the wires down to the centre console for my new switches but that was just one example.... lots of others in there as well.

I plan to have a keyed switch for a fail safe to open the doors located up in the gas filler opening in the sail panel louvers in case my fobs fail. I was thinking about putting one manual key lock back in the driver's door for fail safe but I don't have easy access to the inside of the door any more so can't easily run the pushrod to the lock.... I will be slightly vulnerable to a fill power loss but I have a manual key lock for the engine bay and can get power to the battery in case of full power loss..... Maybe I should put the door switch into the rear trunk area instead so I keep it all close?

No real picture worthy stuff yet as it is all just wiring.....More to come.

Cheers
                Don
                308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• spending the time now will save you hundreds of hours searching for those little gremlins later....
                  -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

Comment

• Agreed. But a pita all the same.....

I have a question for everyone.

I have the four way flashers set up on the steering column as oem comes. I was looking to make the centre switch the four way flasher switch instead. Any issues that anyone may know about that would stop me from moving the switch to the centre console? Besides being a special switch on the column, is there anything else that requires the four way switch to remain with the oem switch?

I haven't found anything in my search on Pennock's but thought I would ask here as well.

Cheers
                    Don
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• If it was me, I'd hook the console switch in parallel with the column switch just to minimize the effect on the rest of the wiring. I believe the relay for the flasher is on the passengers side footwell. Maybe you can simply run another trigger wire to the relay (?)

I can check my wiring diagrams later and let you know if you want.

Keep up the good work

Comment

• Thanks Corson008.

I was looking at the flasher diagrams on Pennock's again this morning and it looks like there are only a couple wires going in and out of the hazard flasher switch so I thought I would see if I can get at the back of the hazard flasher switch tonight and see how many are on that and probably do exactly what you are saying and parallel the switch so either will work. Also doesn't leave a hole in my steering column that way either.....

Thanks
                        Don
                        Last edited by Don; 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM.
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Don,

Find the brown wire on the steering column plug c210 connector. That is the input coming from the emergency signal flasher. Connecting this wire to both the light blue and the Dark Blue wire on the same connector will activate the 4 way flashers as well as flash the turn signal lights on the dash. You could simply use a DPST switch or 2 Bosh relays to provide the function on your console.
                          My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• I was looking into this further and I also asked the question over on Pennock's and I think, for now, I will just leave the hazards where they are. I can readjust my other four switches on the console to fill the area or easily put a small horse in there or something. I figured I would put all the switches in one place but the hazards can stay where they are and I can concentrate on the dash rewiring now to get the dash ready to test and put back together.

Thanks for all the input folks.
                            Don
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Don,

Find the brown wire on the steering column plug c210 connector. That is the input coming from the emergency signal flasher.
                              Be careful. GM also used brown for the dash lights.

Comment

• Easy to find. Turn on the 4 ways and find the wire that is flashing with a test light!
                                My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                                http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                                http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X