No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome, Don. I still remember that feeling of the first start. Now for that first feeling of moving under it's own power.

Anyway, great build. Thanx for letting us join you on your voyage. Hopefully more to come.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Hey Don! You must be getting excited. I know some of us are. But it's been a three days and all we hear is crickets! We want a video! SOON!

Comment

• Me too....

As it turns out I bought a 3.4 DOHC starter probably 10 years ago not even thinking and as it turns out, they are not the same starter gearing as a Fiero. Who would have thought and I should have..... I have an '88 flywheel so after two nights of shimming the starter I was still getting binding and finally came to the realization I had the wrong starter... DOH

Just got the new starter last night and putting in tonight so back to prepping the engine for first light this weekend.

Cheers
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• hey Don; been following this albeit from a distance. Looking forward to hearing some noise!. And as if you needed any reminder that you are building something worthwhile... this:
          https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/a...288-gto/727696 yes, it's the real McCoy, but still. $3.36M???

Comment

• Congrads Don looking forward to hearing it!
            Website link [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/lamborghinicountachreplica/"]https://sites.google.com/site/lamborghinicountachreplica/[/URL]
            Blog link [URL="https://lamborghinicountachreplica.wordpress.com/"]https://lamborghinicountachreplica.wordpress.com/[/URL]

Comment

• Got the fuel system operating and didn't blow myself up. A good sign to start with.... Apparently I forgot to tighten the hard line to soft line fuel lines though so got to clean up some dripping fuel....

Went to turn the engine over and realized my battery was too low to turn it over. I wasn't getting any action from the ignition key so went under the car and shorted the ign to power and the starter turned over but barely. My bad for forgetting to charge up the battery after getting oil pumped through the engine..... Been charging the battery over night so hopefully tonight is the night.....

More tonight with hopefully a sound track with it running.....

Cheers
              Don
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post
                Been charging the battery over night so hopefully tonight is the night.....
                This is like Chinese water torture. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloozberry View Post
                  This is like Chinese water torture. LOL
                  LOL!��

Take all the time you need Don....we'll wait.....��

Drumroll please............................................ ................................................

Comment

• OK I feel everyone's pain... I am getting frustrated now.

Had the battery on charge over night and went out tonight. Hooked up the battery the same as I did when I was turning the engine over to move oil around the engine. I used the starter terminals to move the oil around though so wasn't using the key when doing that. I made sure everything was hooked up properly and got nothing at the key. Went to underneath again and tried jumping with the key in run. Engine turned over but very slowly. I then went to unhook the battery and the terminals on the battery were extremely hot.... Something is amiss.....

I think I might need to check to see if the battery is still good as it has been sitting for a couple years now. Will do that tomorrow. I will also go to Pennock's and have a look around and see if there might be a wire not right in the loom or in the starter circuit. Fusible link to the ignition maybe??

I wonder if the terminals might be a bit warm from charging overnight but they were VERY warm so something doesn't feel right. Also did not hear the fuel pump prime as it normally should and was yesterday.

I am getting closer but it i staking some time as everything with this car.

Ideas anyone?
                    Thanks
                    Don
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Ideas anyone?
                      My first guess is that your starter isn't properly aligned with the flywheel. It may be meshing too tightly causing it to bind, thereby slowing the cranking speed, and drawing lots of current heating up the wire.

Comment

• Thanks Dave;

I will look again as I had gone through the starter alignment when I put the starter in and it ran pretty freely when I was loving oil but will definitely check that again and that does make sense. I didn't see the little green ball in the view glass of the battery last night either so I am wondering if my third battery (before even starting this thing) is going downhill on me from sitting too long. I have been buying new batteries thinking I will be running the engine imminently and another year passes....... I am there now though.

Chinese torture continues...

Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• This is what I posted over on Pennock's which gives a bunch more detail on what I have done and tried.
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Forum acting weird.

Try Again

-----------------------------------------

Hello All;

Need some help with the engine starting on the swap project. Finally got the wiring finished and everything plumbed on the 3.4 swap and went through the process below to get everything confirmed.

1. I moved the battery up front and used 1 gauge wire running back to a positive and neg terminal setup over by where the battery used to sit in the engine bay. Not using the battery up front yet until I get it running.
                            2. From the engine bay + terminal, I ran 4 gauge wire to positive terminal on starter
                            3. Confirmed I have E2 on C500 running to solenoid.
                            4. Confirmed I have alternator fused wire going to terminal block under C500, and L and F wires from Alt going to B3 and E3 on C500.
                            5. The engine is a crate engine so I filled with oil etc. and then put power to the engine bay power terminals but did not hook up power to the power distribution block under C500. Turned the engine over quite a bit to get oil moved around by jumping the solenoid to the + terminal on the starter. This worked fine and no issues turning the engine over on the battery I have. I also had the plugs out so little resistance.

6. Thinking I was ready to try to start the car, I hooked everything up to the power feeds.
                            7. I hooked up the C500 Power dist block to the + terminal on the starter with the red fused link wire and confirmed power to the power dist block so theoretically, the rest of the power grid in the car.
                            8. Turned on the key to run position and heard the fuel pump prime as expected. Confirmed fuel getting up to fuel rail and back through the return line
                            9. Went to hit the starter (clutch in) and nothing. No click like you might get with a low battery or many be duff solenoid. Just nothing
                            10. Tried one more thing to see if it was more power related or more toward the ign circuit. I turned the key to on/run and went underneath again to jump the starter terminals to see if the engine would turn over.

It turned over but very slow. Tried a few times to jump and then went to pull the battery cables off to start troubleshooting. I found that both terminals on the battery were very hot when I had everything hooked up and turning the engine over by jumping the starter. Checked power at battery and it read 13 volts as I had just finished charging the battery overnight. The battery worked fine when I had the plugs out and was just turning the engine over to get oil moved around. I will get the battery checked tomorrow as well to see if it is bad after sitting for several years.

My thoughts so far and any help and ideas would be appreciated.

- Possibly fusible link to ignition switch either not hooked up correctly or blown?
                            - With the full power distribution hooked up, I was not getting a hot battery prior to trying to start so not sure I have a large current draw therefore short anywhere but not 100% sure. Will check that tomorrow with an ammeter in the circuit from the battery.
                            - Any specific wires I should focus on to see if they are correctly connected within the wiring harness. I had the harness made many years ago by a fellow here but so long ago that anything I was told has fallen out of my head by now.....

Thoughts or areas to start from anyone?

Anything would be appreciated.
                            Don
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

9. Went to hit the starter (clutch in) and nothing. No click like you might get with a low battery or many be duff solenoid. Just nothing
                              This sounds like a problem with the Clutch Neutral Safety Switch.

Originally posted by Don View Post
                              10. Tried one more thing to see if it was more power related or more toward the ign circuit. I turned the key to on/run and went underneath again to jump the starter terminals to see if the engine would turn over.
                              By doing the above, you bypassed the clutch switch, and the engine turned over (albeit slowly), so that proves there's a problem with that circuit, but it sounds like there's more to it than that.

Originally posted by Don View Post
                              Tried a few times to jump and then went to pull the battery cables off to start troubleshooting. I found that both terminals on the battery were very hot when I had everything hooked up and turning the engine over by jumping the starter. Checked power at battery and it read 13 volts as I had just finished charging the battery overnight. The battery worked fine when I had the plugs out and was just turning the engine over to get oil moved around. I will get the battery checked tomorrow as well to see if it is bad after sitting for several years.
                              The lead plates inside batteries do sulfate over time, causing weak current capacity. I doubt that's the problem though since it usually takes several years of sitting for that to happen. Perhaps your battery terminals weren't tight? Or corroded? Or the aftermarket terminals you clamped onto the ends of your cables are loose on the wire?

Comment

• Thanks Dave;

So, I went and got the battery tested and it passed but barely so I just got a new one to confirm no issues.

I came back and went underneath to check again on the starter alignment. It is, indeed, binding again.... It was working great the other day so I went through the shimming process to no success just now. I had all the shims in place so almost 3/16" of shims and still binding so I think there is another alignment issue versus the just the distance.

Going to do some googling to see if there is something I am missing.

And yes Dave, I think you are correct with the clutch switch or possibly a blown fusible link to the ign switch. Will get to that one after I get the start working correctly. Fighting me all the way....

BTW Dave, your build is looking amazing. Nice front hood work.

Thanks for the help
                                Don
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X