No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well said Paul S. I like where you are thinking and agree with what you are saying.

I ground 3.4 DOHC off the cover for two reasons. First and larger, it was facing the wrong way...... and second it wasn't what I was looking for on the engine. I think I will leave it as carbon fibre only and move on to other items.

Thanks for the feedback
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul S View Post
      Although you took great lengths to rep a 308 body, you've long since strayed off the original path of 'replication' and now stumbled into tawdrification.
      "Tawdrification"? It's not even a word, but it sounds like you meant that his car is tawdry, which means showy but cheap and of poor quality. How respectful of you.

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
      That is not a Ferrari motor, so it's time you considered pulling it back a bit because that sort of temerity will make your project seem ridonculous.
      "Ridonculous"? Really? You do realize this is a kit-car site, right? No one's putting actual Ferrari engines in their replicas.

Don: In my humble opinion, the big bold letters are a bit of a coin toss. It's OK to put Ferrari emblems on a car that isn't a Ferrari, or on brake calipers, exterior mirrors, wheel hubs, or engines. Anybody who knows Ferrari's will know instantly it's not a Ferrari engine when you lift the decklid, regardless of whether it has the script or not. They'll likely know before you lift the hood. But Joe-average won't have a clue, and he'll walk away with a smile on his face thinking he just got to see a Ferrari, unless he asks and you tell him it's a replica. The car doesn't have to be indistinguishable from an authentic Ferrari before you put emblems on it. None of us go to that extreme.

Comment

• Don; you've acquired and developed an INCREDIBLE amount of skill, knowledge and experience. Nothing more needs to be said. You will always run into 'critics'. After all, it's the easiest thing in the world to do, and requires NO qualifications.

You no doubt have learned about the value of 'letting it go in one ear and out the other' - and without slowing down in between. It's another great skill.

It can lead to a lot more enjoyment of the world LOL! So apply that skill when and where needed and keep on doing the car the way you want! It's an incredible work.
        Look forward to seeing and being jealous of the workmanship you care to share!
        GP

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post
          Well said Paul S. I like where you are thinking and agree with what you are saying.

I ground 3.4 DOHC off the cover for two reasons. First and larger, it was facing the wrong way...... and second it wasn't what I was looking for on the engine. I think I will leave it as carbon fibre only and move on to other items.

Thanks for the feedback
          You're welcome Don and I'm appreciative of your understanding....The way I and many others see it, your 308 replica project is one of the most detailed and involved ever accomplished = VERY WELL DONE = Nuff said....Cheers!
          THE BEST QUOTE EVER ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - "...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most....they're real enough." - RUSHAVED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s
          --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloozberry View Post
            "Tawdrification"? It's not even a word, but it sounds like you meant that his car is tawdry, which means showy but cheap and of poor quality. How respectful of you.

"Ridonculous"? Really? You do realize this is a kit-car site, right? No one's putting actual Ferrari engines in their replicas.

Don: In my humble opinion, the big bold letters are a bit of a coin toss. It's OK to put Ferrari emblems on a car that isn't a Ferrari, or on brake calipers, exterior mirrors, wheel hubs, or engines. Anybody who knows Ferrari's will know instantly it's not a Ferrari engine when you lift the decklid, regardless of whether it has the script or not. They'll likely know before you lift the hood. But Joe-average won't have a clue, and he'll walk away with a smile on his face thinking he just got to see a Ferrari, unless he asks and you tell him it's a replica. The car doesn't have to be indistinguishable from an authentic Ferrari before you put emblems on it. None of us go to that extreme.

"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise." Proverbs 10:19

We've seen the one, now try working on the other.
            THE BEST QUOTE EVER ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - "...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most....they're real enough." - RUSHAVED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s
            --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul S View Post
              "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise." Proverbs 10:19

We've seen the one, now try working on the other.
              Right back at ya, Paul S.

Comment

• Hey all. I value all opinions and I donít take too much to heart across the board. Everyone has tastes that may or may not align with my own. That is part of what makes us.... us.

I appreciate the feedback and in the end, I will do what I believe is the correct thing to do for my tastes. If I end up selling this vehicle to someone in the future, that person can then make it theirs and to their own tastes and I would take no offence.

I have enjoyed building this replica and as Graeme says, learned a ton so I am good.

Thanks again for reading and putting feedback in as it is all taken at value.

Have a great weekend all and hope no feelings are hurt or bent on this thread as it doesnít suit our hobby.

Cheers
                Don
                308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Chip is still in the mail system somewhere. It has made it across the border but still out in Ontario for some reason. Been there a week.... Hopefully not lost in the great wild of the mail system....

While I am waiting, I figured I would get everything else ready to go so when I fire it up, I can drive it....

Cleaned up the centre console that Wayne did up for me and then mounted the ECU into the car and now working on routing the wires around and over it sine it is so much wider than a Fiero ECU so takes up more real estate. Still need to wet sand the centre console piece to smooth it out and then spray with some clear.

A couple pics of the centre console.

308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Fantastic! That looks sooooooo good Mr. Don!

Sure hope the chip shows up.....shipping has become a nightmare.....sometimes. More often than not, items reach their intended destination no problem...but occasionally, there's a "glitch" in the system, staying positive, we're going to guess this is just a minor diversion and temporary delay. It WILL get there....and in a timely fashion!

I think there are some of us here that are very nearly looking forward to your first drive as much as yourself! Though I hardly think that's possible. Been a long time coming, but no doubt it will have been worth the wait. I suspect that compared to my projects, yours will seem to have been done in the blink of an eye!LOL

Keep the updates coming.....please?

Comment

A couple pics of the centre console.

Hey Don, is the HVAC control panel an authentic F355 piece? It sure looks like the real part.

Comment

• ^^^What Ted said.. Everything looks great. Can't wait to see it under it's own power.

Bob
                        Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Thanks guys;

Getting there for sure. The centre console looks good and I was just messing around last night with how to do the front piece. I want to put a couple USB chargers up i that piece as well as a coin tray and under the coin tray set up the ALDL connector for accessibility but hidden away otherwise.

Dave;

The HVAC unit is the very first one that Ricerburner created back in the day. I helped him by figuring out how to mount everything and create some mounting plates etc. that he could recreate for his other sales.

Lately, I have been working with Wayne on an HVAC system that uses a touch screen LCD screen to be the control input unit with an Arduino Uno and a custom PCB I designed to take the output signals from the Arduino and connect to the stock Fiero HVAC connectors. There are two coming out of the HVAC so the main control and then the fan switch. I am 3d printing the fan switch power connector off the PCB into a set of relays, essentially the same as the original Fiero did and the other end is the connector into the stock Fiero connector.

You need one new stepper motor to move the heat as the original Fiero is a lever but otherwise it controls all the oem HVAC doors etc. Coming along nicely and when I get time I am finalizing the coding for the Arduino to take the input from the LCD screen and push out the correct signal to the PCB. Everything is pretty much designed an ready to go except of the last of the coding I still need to do and then I can test it all out on a test electrical stand I have made before I order the PCB production. Should be able to show everything in a few weeks if I get enough time between work related requirements and other life.

More to come
                          Don
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Lately, I have been working with Wayne on an HVAC system that uses a touch screen LCD screen...
                            If you're moving to a touch screen and decide to sell the replica HVAC control panel, I'd consider buying it from you. I would imagine you've already created an interface between the F355 control panel and the Fiero HVAC unit. I'd be interested in what you'd want for that too.

Comment

• It..... runs.......

mic drop
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• OK, so the chip finally came in today and after work I was out in the garage putting it all in and finishing up the last of the cleanup getting ready to startup. Hooked the battery up and turned it over and popped and banged but no start. Turned it over some more and battery started to run down. Went to put the charger on it and the terminals were way hot again. Went underneath and saw that the starter is sticking occasionally again so looks like a bit more work on that item....

But then I let the battery cool down and turned over again and it started right up.

Running very rich right now and I didn't add any water to the coolant so only ran for about 30 seconds but it idles. I still have quite some work to do to get it running better but it is a VERY big start.

I am now working on getting Tunerpro set up on my garage laptop so I can look at codes etc. once I get water in it.....
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X