No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bay is on etching primer. Ready for the frame paint. I went to get my Lizard Skin to spray on a few coats of the ceramic sealer/heat and noise shield before the final frame paint coating. Unfortunately, it was still damp but no where near able to spray so I have some pieces soaking in water right now to soften up so I can mix up a batch and get the firewalls coated and then final paint.

I also finished my design of the engine harness plug mounts so I can have everything mounted to the firewall and coming out of the wiring tray nice and cleanly. Just printing the two sections out now. 5 hours for the lower piece and another 5 hours for the upper piece that will sandwich the three engine harness plugs when done. Upper piece just started and lower piece did not turn out as well as I had hoped as one corner lifted so the end section is not deep enough to fit the last plug. Will need to redo that that piece I guess but at least let me trial fit everything to see what I might need to adjust before printing a final piece.

Cheers
    Don

Last edited by Don; 06-14-2020, 07:56 PM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Also a quick image best I can of the two halves of the engine harness clip holder

308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs-up-192.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	476064

Comment

• Painted the engine bay this evening in the frame paint. I had sprayed on the Lizard Skin ceramic firewall heat shield earlier in the week and it came out ok but not great so had to sand the ceramic down smooth in a bunch of areas. I think I tried to put on too thick of coats and lots of sagging. All my fault.

So sanded it down on the very visible areas and then got the small gun out and started spraying. Took 3 hours with the small gun and getting in and around all the other pieces to get a couple coats of the frame paint and looking good. That ceramic coating soaks up a WHOLE whack of paint. Quite the sponge. I think I said that last time I used this stuff so many years ago on the 355. I got a couple of the extra parts painted as well but got too late to have the air compressor kick on so stopped for the night. Will finish the parts tomorrow.

This weekend plan to change out the rear main seal on the engine (sat for so many years that it started to leak a bit when I finally turned it over and then plan to build longer oil dip stick setup as it is a bitch getting at it in the stock location. Think I will see if I can move i around over to the rear of the engine above the cross over pipe so much easier to get at.

Almost ready for the engine to go back in forever.

Cheers
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Finished painting all the parts today and started putting the engine bay back together. Got the wiring tray test fitted and hooked up the new plastic engine harness clip holder and it turned out very well.

Putting all the parts back in for hopefully the last time this week. I have three jobs on the engine. I took some tape off and it pulled the paint off the valve cover so need to repaint that. The rear main seal is leaking a bit so guess it sat for too long. Have a new one just need to pull the trans off. Move the oil stick over to one side. The oil stick is too hard to get at and check the oil so plan to bend the oil tube so it comes out over by the trans side. Will most likely need to add a bit of length to it to get it all sorted.

Happy Father's Day everyone.
            Don
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Good to see it coming together Don, any updates ?
              Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

• Engine is in... Hopefully for the last time. Most connections back on as well and starting putting the suspension back on. I need to repaint the front valve cover as paint came off when I pulled some protecting tape off it so obviously did not do the first paint job with etching primer.... I have the cover primed but I keep missing my paint guy so hopefully early this week. The wiring harness went in very nicely in the end and just need to get some black screws rather than the stainless there now. A couple other small items but once the valve cover is on, I should be able to put it on the ground and start it up and see if it rolls. Been a long time coming.

A few pics.

308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• I gotta ask about the different colored ignition leads ? -Vince

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	plaintusm.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	476449

Comment

• Originally posted by TRcrazy View Post
                      I gotta ask about the different colored ignition leads ? -Vince
                      Hey Vince;

I had to get another set of spark leads to be able to use the longer ones from each pack. The engine came with the orange leads and all I could get were blue..... Had to use 1 3 and 2 from the blue pack to make it over to the new coil pack location.... I plan to have lead covers on them so not as big as issue in the end.... At this point it is more about getting it put together a running to shake it out a bit and then over the winter update a few things.

I have been whittling away at the engine and getting things back together. Little bits here and there when I get time. I got the suspension and axles installed today in prep for the new struts. Waiting on rubber isolation for the coils to arrive and then can put that all together and get this back on the ground and take for the first test drive around the neighbourhood. Calipers are still the old ones until the brake lines come in as well. Always one more piece needed and it ends up being a back order.....

Coming together and getting oh so close to driving for the first time in so many years.

Cheers
                      Don

308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Hey Don
                        How costly is getting set up with a 3D printer , for a couple of parts is it worth it or is it one of those things , once you have it it's endless .
                        And how much of a techie do you have to be to make parts .
                        Thanks Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcata View Post
                          Hey Don
                          How costly is getting set up with a 3D printer , for a couple of parts is it worth it or is it one of those things , once you have it it's endless .
                          And how much of a techie do you have to be to make parts .
                          Thanks Phil
                          Hey Phil;

A bit of both on your answer really. I learned Fusion360 for the 3d design aspect but I am already a bit of a nerd in that anyway..... I bought my 3d printer for, I think, $175 used and a couple spools of plastic for about $30 each. My printer is an entry level but I find everything is good but I do end up cleaning up the parts after printing to have it work the way I want.

If you go a bit higher in price range you will get much better prints in the end. Mine has worked very well for me so far in what I have needed but if I was to go a bit deeper, I would get the next level up so around $500-$750 for the printer as the end results will be that much better, Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and lots of youtube tutorials to get you going. Give me a shout if you want to walk through anything in Fusion or the 3d printing.

Cheers
                          Don
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• I concur all Don has said about 3D printers, ours was also under $200 and is good for making small parts. There are lots of helpful videos in getting started with 3D printers on the YouTube. That’s where I learned. Cheers, Vince

Comment

• Ok thanks for the info , I will definitely look into that , what I want to make is a gas cap that screws in normally and instead of the lid and bar you use to turn it , I want a hose barb to put an extension on .
                              Are you able to scan a part and reproduce it instead of drawing the whole thing ?
                              Thanks Don & Vince

Comment

• Hey Phil;

Give me a call on my cell I sent in a pm and we can figure something out.

As for an update, big day yesterday.

I have the car on the ground again for the first time in about 5 years. Got the rear suspension put in, brakes on and put on the wheels to get it on the ground. Into a list of cleanup tasks now this week hopefully to have it start up and maybe even drive for the first time by the weekend. Everyone needs a goal......

A couple pics of it on the ground again..... Still needs to roll back and forth a bit to get the suspension settled but on its own shoes again.....

308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X