No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great, Don. Congrats, man. Been a long road.
    Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• Hey Don
      I went back on to see the car on the ground , I must be impatient , I guess I didn't wait long enough for the page to load lol .
      Looks great , you must be pleased to be here in the process , looking forward to seeing it and hearing it in person .
      Cheers Phil

Comment

• OK quick update. I had the car running last Saturday no problem. Well running but still a pretty bad hesitation when pushing the accelerator but had an air bubble in the cooling system so turned the engine off to let it cool down. Can't start it again now. Phil(Falcata) came over tonight and we traced a couple new issues rather than just the one I thought I had. No signal to the injectors now and I seem to have a wiring issue to the MAP in the intake. I suspect the wiring issue to the MAP is also part of the issue I have had with the hesitation as well. I don't seem to have 12 v going to the MAP for some reason so need to trace back the wires and do a bit of continuity testing to see where I messed that up. For the injectors, same thing. Trace back to see where in the path the signal stops. No codes so that is of no use.

On a positive note, everything else is ready to go. Brakes are in and rear all set up, clutch setup with a remote reservoir now for easy access and fully bled. That was a bit of an adventure as well.... All good for a test drive as soon as I can figure out why it won't start.

More to come as I dig into wiring again.... woot woot

Cheers
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Back to running again. Did some fun wire tracing and found a couple items on the engine sensor harness that I corrected but I don't think it woudl cause the no fire issue. We confirmed yesterday that there was no signal to the injectors and I confirmed tonight that all the wires were routed correctly. I had the MAP ground going to C10 vs C7 in the ecu so that was an easy fix as the 96 takes several sensors and connects them all to the common ground and goes into 1 pin on the 96 ecu but a 91-93 ecu has two separate grounds for the sensors. I did a quick swap of a couple ground wires just to make sure.

Went in and tried to fire and still no joy. Swapped my ecu out for my spare and it fired right up so guess I fried the first ecu somehow last weekend when doing the alt etc. Note to self, unplug ecu from this point on when completing the wiring. These are not that easy to find any more so don't really want to make a habit of dumping the ecu....

By the time I got it running it was too late to have it running and check out other stuff like whether I finally have my Alternator working or not so will do that tomorrow night and start earlier so not disturbing the neighbours too late.

Cheers
          Don
          308 Ferrari replica
          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• T - ? and counting......
            Keep the updates coming....still watching and waiting. Got the feeling it won't be long now!

HAGO!

Comment

• I have a horrible feeling I am going to need to drop the cradle again to fix the trans leak. The puddle keeps getting bigger so I am concerned that if I drive it, I will end up contaminating the clutch disk and plate. I will start it shortly to get a confirmation on alternator or not but I think I am back to dropping the cradle again to fix something I should have fixed years ago.... Can't fix stupid..... and of course, new seals won't be here until Tuesday... Another week....
              Last edited by Don; 09-20-2020, 01:36 PM. Reason: Sincere apologies to all for my typo. That was a HUGE miss in my proofing. Those two keys are side by each on the keyboard and I missed the typo. Again, my sincere apologies to all for that.
              308 Ferrari replica
              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Kindly correct the typo regarding the puddle size please....Thanks
                THE BEST QUOTE EVER ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - "...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most...they're real enough." - RUSHAVED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                  Kindly correct the typo regarding the puddle size please....Thanks
                  Done and my apologies Paul.
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• On the note of the trans issue, if the leak is coming from the input shaft, through investigation I am finding there may not be an easy fix to this issue. The seal and bearing are one unit and for what I have been able to find so far, these units are no longer available. I might be finding a FWD 282 Getrag trans from a newer car and putting in the Dickman shifting swap kit.
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Ok. I went out this afternoon again and had a much closer look at where and what was leaking.

It appears that I had the source wrong. After really getting under there an looking very closely, I think I am still seeing the rear main seal as the culprit. No dampness of oil in the bell housing but continued drips from the rear of the oil pan so I suspect the seal. Same story where I told myself that it would be ok. All on me.... The good news though is that because it is the seal, I could drive it around the block......And I did.

First time on the road in over 5 years and first time under the new driveline power. Accelerates pretty quickly even still not running great. Exhaust is pretty loud.... Magnaflow muffler is a loud one. May have to look into some resonators to get the crack out of the sound and smooth it out a bit. I pulled it out and drove around for a bit and then blew it out with the air hose from years of dust and construction. That was a mess. I washed it down as well to get the dust off the panels. Looking pretty sharp. Took the grills out while blowing out out to help get better air flow.

A few pics.

After I had it out around the block for the first time and the cooling system burped....

Side shot after the blow down and bath

Nice reflection with the setting sun.
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Don you should be proud!!!!
                        She looks amazing in the sun
                        Now building in Mooresville NC
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton
                        http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton
                        http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Comment

• Gorgeous! That looks sooo good!

You should be very proud indeed. What a beauty, and you don't even have all the hardware on yet!

Can only imagine the satisfaction of actually being able to drive it, even if just "around the block", for the first time. Major, major accomplishment.

Keep the updates coming.

Not sure if you can do it on the DOHC 3.4 or not, but I've replaced rear main seals with the engine still in the car. But did have to drop the oil pan and pull the rear main bearing cap. Like I said, I have no clue whether it's possible in your situation or not. But gotta be better than swapping the tranny, even if dropping the cradle IS required.

Keep us posted, please....and can't have too many pictures of that crimson jewel!

Comment

• Looks great, Don. Well done, sir. Thanx for sharing the journey.

Bob
                            Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                            http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

• You have built a true masterpiece Don something to be truly proud of. I can hardly wait for a ride!!!

Comment

• Looking great Don! They always do when you can get them out of the garage for a spin.
                                Joel Heinke
                                [SIZE=1][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&amp]Be original; don't be afraid of being bold![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X