No announcement yet.

Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don love following your build. Always had a thing for these kits and yours is fantastic. Looks like your getting close to the finish line, congrads.
    Website link [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/lamborghinicountachreplica/"]https://sites.google.com/site/lamborghinicountachreplica/[/URL]
    Blog link [URL="https://lamborghinicountachreplica.wordpress.com/"]https://lamborghinicountachreplica.wordpress.com/[/URL]

Comment

• Certainly getting closer for sure. So after all the work to get the driveline out, I pulled the clutch off and flywheel to find a bone dry rear main seal..... WTF!!!! Started looking around and I think I found my issue. I replaced the oil pan a while back when finishing the engine off and I put a new seal on as well. Just to be sure. When I put the pan on, I did not put silicone at the edges of the rear main bearing cap. I think that is my leak. When running, oil is under pressure and splashes up against the rear cap and seal and seeps through. A fair amount it seems..... So I now have a new rear main seal (not taking any chances) and a new oil pan gasket and silicone sealant. Will be doing that update this week or weekend and also going to look at the dip stick and see if i can route it to a more accessible location.

Cheers
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Been a while again. I had the driveline out, rear seals replaced, put the driveline back together again, made a flywheel shield as I seemed to have lost my original at some point, made a heat shield for the alternator since it is so close to the exhaust system, cleaned and finalized the last little items in the engine bay painted whatever was messed up with the clutch fluid incident and and put the driveline back into the car. Also started at the front end to finalize all the last items so put the wheel well liners in (so that was WAY more work than I ever imagined.)

Next is to put the windshield trim around for the final time. Finish the windshield washer setup and complete the front trunk area (paint the battery tray, hold down the spare and battery, get the rubber seal around the front trunk, final align the trunk to have both latches catch, paint the body line black as the painter forgot the front clip line so many years ago.

That should complete the front end. Move on to fastening the rockers lower edges as I never did complete that job as well so many years ago....

Again, all the final little things to complete the car and put it ion the road for the shakedown. Hoping all this is done over the next 2-3 weeks.

The main item i am, actually, having a bugger of a time getting is new tires.... 15" tires in my sizes are very scarce as of course they are now considered vintage and COVID-19 has cramped a lot of the tire making except for what is really needed.... I think I found a set on a site in California, Lucas Classic Tires, and I can get some Pirelli P7's but the backs will be 20mm wider. Current is 265.50R15 and I can only get 285/50r15. Pretty much max on my rims I think....

A few pics of the progress

308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Everything looks so clean and tidy! And that paint! Beautiful job on the body paint Don.

Comment

• Thanks Dave;

Sadly it looks so clean and tidy because it is not getting driven to get dirty..... Soon though.....

More coming shortly.
            Cheers
            Don

308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Someday you will be able to drive this car again. The progress of this build looks so nice. You can check 4wheelonline in case you need a new set of wheels and tires for this classic luxury car.
              Last edited by Just Hall; 05-18-2021, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• OK so after what I consider to be 200 times longer build than I had ever dreamed when I got this project in May 2010..... It is hopefully back on its wheels for the final and everlasting time. Driveline is in and cooling system finally burped tonight, I can start it at will and it runs and operates like a car is supposed to.

As with all projects, never completely done but I think I am in a position to be able to go get it aligned and insured start shaking it down over the summer. Interior items still need to be sorted out and the tonneau material for the targa is this week once I go get some high temp contact cement and always little items to tidy up but I think I am so dangerously close to driving this and seeing how it goes.

Cheers
                Don

308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Awesome build man, congrats on getting to the drivable and drool worth stage!!

Comment

• Got the driver’s card on today with proper metal backing mount to the door frame so it closes perfectly without pulling the door card off. Passenger side tonight. Will get pics up later tonight.

cheers
                    Don
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Look awesome Don !
                      Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

• Been taking care of family this past month. Grand daughters out from Calgary so not much time to get in the grudge. (as my youngest GD calls it...) My eldest GD and I were out soldering wires for the gauges though so once the family heads home in a week., I am back at it with the goal to be on the road and insured in August.

Hold my beer, I think I can make it this time......

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer so far.

cheers
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Back in the garage. I am down to interior pieces install and fitment. Last wiring items for centre console like adding the seat heaters, wiring in the remote door locks module and stereo etc. I am really down to that level of fitment and install so getting so close.

I also needed to address one mechanical issue as the recurring driveline leak remains a problem. I had mentioned before that I was getting a small puddle of oil after moving the car and the small drives I did and I thought it was the rear main seal on the engine or the new oil pan gasket I had installed with the new oil pan. So, took the drivetrain out early summer and replaced the rear main seal as well as redid the oil pan gasket. Also cleaned up some of the last engine bay items while it was all out. All went back in and wouldn't you know it, the leak is back. More detailed investigation I suspected the driver's side trans seal. I had put new ones in several years ago but maybe I tweaked that one when putting the shafts back in. So pulled the driver's side suspension apart tonight and pulled the seal. No obvious rips or severe damage but there was rough surface on the inner seal surface so maybe.... Passenger side is dry as a bone.

While everything was out, I had a look at my axle and found an unpleasant surprise. Twisted shaft. I had rebuilt the axles seeing that overall they looked good but I did not see the twisted shaft. That was definitely on its way to failure over some period and glad that I saw it in the end. Obviously a previous owner trying to burn off several thousand kms of rubber is my guess.... So, now I am getting a new shaft and then can do a string alignment to get everything close to get to a shop.

Cheers
                          Don
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• I have bad out of kit cars for several years.. However however your Is 308 looks incredible.. I would mind building one I'd build in wood if parts are available when I have saved enough money. Who would I contact for a complete kit

Comment

• Good day Punkit. Been quite a while. You still have that 288 GTO kit in storage??

There aren't too many of these 308s around any more. EVM_Rob on here is the last one I know of that had molds but that was many years ago... You might need to keep an eye on Craigslist and other selling forums to see if someone is wanting to sell an unfinished project or the original panels.

Edit on my build is that I am now trying to remember what I was thinking with my interior centre console wiring so many years ago..... I cleaned up the last of the centre console switching yesterday and wired the radio so really down to those little items that take so much time. Also realizing I just don't have the flexibility I used to have even when I started this project as laying underneath a dash for 3-4 hours at a time just doesn't work well for me any more...... I have also decided to wire in lights into the centre console switches as well as I just don't want to see the switches not be lit up at night. Easy wring on that though as there are three lights wires already in the centre console area from Fiero ashtrays and the old cigar lighter (actually called cigar lighter in the manual and not cigarette...) Should be all wired up by end of the weekend and I am hoping to fire it up to see what works and what doesn't in the gauges.....

Take care all
                              Don
                              Last edited by Don; 11-06-2021, 01:21 PM.
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Centre console wiring all done and console mounted so now putting the rest of the interior back in and move to finishing the targa top cover and headliner. Almost there.
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X