Ferrari 308 Replica Rebuild and Upgrade Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Nice job Don. Its great to see you making progress on your projects. I had a good weekend in the garage as well. I guess I will have to update my thread now, just so that I can keep up!

Comment

Sharp looking mustang!! Good luck with it.

Hard to tell from these photos but will you be able to work on or replace the master cylinder if it ever needs to be or will the nose have to come off?

Comment

Glenn;

Clutch Master cylinder is in there a way for sure. It is still accessible but it will no doubt be a Pita to get out. Brake master will be no problem.

Your headlights are almost done sanding and I should have them done by the end of next weekend.

We are heading out to Calgary again Thursday night for a couple days as our eldest had her first baby today so we are heading out to see our new grand daughter.

More updates coming.
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Congradulations on the new grand daughter!!!

Comment

Thanks Glenn. She is a very pretty little girl. But then, I am a bit biased..... ;D It was great going out and seeing them.

I am all alone this week at home as the rest of the family is still out in Calgary so I am getting a bit of progress on the headlights and the 308. I put some gel coat and a few layers of fiberglass on to the centre trunk lid mould the past couple nights. I am studying for an exam on Oct 5th so when I am done with the studying at night but I am still wound up from studying, I am going out to the garage to get progress on these projects while winding down. Working out fairly well so far but I have been to bed at 2 a.m. and 1:30 the past two nights...... May not work long term but we will have to see.

The one problem I encountered though is that I went out and checked the fiberglass this morning after letting it set up all night and the resin is several spots was still wet. I had a really big jug of resin I was using last night so I reduced the hardener a bit to give me more working time but I think I reduced a bit too much and it will take too long to kick. I went out just before supper tonight and added a layer of resin with a proper amount of catalyst to hopefully kick the whole works off properly.... You can easily see the wet spots in the pics.

I have to say that the mould I took off the hood is terrible. It curdled in a lot of places so I just added in a bit more gel coat in all those spots so I can sand everything smooth afterword. At least this time it is sanding off versus filling.... Sanding is easier.

A couple pics.
            Don
            Attached Files
            Don
            Last edited by Don; 02-08-2022, 01:16 AM.
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

D,

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

The car looks great! Love the details!

Comment

Update;

I have been working on the trunk section to get it mounted.

I have reconfigured the Fiero hinges, burned the plastic bushings in them while welding so had to make new bushes and redo the hinges.

I have the trunk sitting on the car now with initial framework in place to get the shape of the hood. I now need to adjust the hinges forward about 1/4" to get a better gap at the front and then weld in some cross braces for the hinges and the latch.

I then need to pour some expanding foam down on the under side to seal the skin to the metal frame work as well as give me foam to carve a seal into the underside of the lid to get a seal against the new trunk I made.

I hope to do most of that this aft and tonight.

Cheers
                Don
                Attached Files
                308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

xxx
                  Attached Files
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Adjusted hinge configuration.
                    Attached Files
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Oh Doooonnnnn,

Did you see what I announced on Monday over on my trunk seal thread on PFF? Molded corners for my seals. They will look killer on you car! I will email you details this evening when I get back home. You project is looking great!

Will

Comment

Don,
                        Since you already had to take out the hinge pin, have you though about adding in a removable pin with a cotter pin in it so you can just pull the pins if you need to remove the trunk at a later time? By doing that you wont have to unbolt the hinges and ruin the alignment....

Comment

Will;

Outstanding. My front trunk seal is different than your rear trunk seal though isn't it? If it will work on a front trunk, I am in. I'll send you the measurements later today for what I have. My rear trunk has been cut up by the last owner so I don't have a full trunk surround as I thought when we were first talking. I will get to the rear trunk in a bit and put the trunk back up to where it should be instead of the mess that was made in this car....

Glenn;

I ended up drilling the holes out to 1/4" and put in a teflon shim and used a bolt on the one side. Your idea of a 1/4" removable pin is outstanding as I have already had to remove the damn thing several times as I am lining everything up as I build this thing. I will go get a proper pin like that today and see what I can do. Great idea buddy.

I am now traveling this weekend into next week for work again so progress is stopping again for a week. I got the go ahead yesterday on a project so now I have to go away again. This work stuff is getting in the way of a good time......

Cheers
                          Don
                          308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Question for everyone. I am looking for your opinions.

When the trunk lid is down, the radiator is partially into the vent opening of the lid shown by the yellow line in the pic.

Should I move the vent back by the couple inches you can see in the picture or just leave it where it is? The oem is about where the vent the is now but if I move it back, I might get better venting out of that area.

Thoughts?
                            Thanks
                            Don
                            Attached Files
                            308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Don,

I did the same on my car and it won't really show once the grill in on and with the angle of the blades. IMO, you're better off making sure your hole is aligned with the upper line of the light pods rather than trying to clear the radiator under it.

Comment

Don:
                                I had to lower my radiator 1 1/2". AP is right the radiator will not be seen under the vents.

Jack

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X