No announcement yet.

Ferrari 308 Replica Rebuild and Upgrade Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just confirmed the grounds coming out of the ECM are going to ground by running continuity tests on each pin.... Guess it is more progress and not there yet.... Looking at the ECM codes per Dave's suggestion above after breakfast
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Don
      PM sent. Whenever you get to it. No rush here...
      GP

Comment

• OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!! F***********............

Now that I have that off my chest..... So, I found my problem......... At this point I laugh or I will just set the car on fire......

No kidding...No chip. After 15 years of holding on to everything and finally building it out and making it all correct, I have a look in the ecm as the next piece of troubleshooting. Maybe the chip is offset or something.

I have no idea if I got the chip and set it aside to make sure it was safe or did not get it or got and and sent it off to get re flashed. Who knows. All I know is I don't have one I can find here and I have no idea of I ever got it. I suspect though that I probably got it and set it aside for safe keeping. Something I would do... and forgot where it is. Oh my gawd...... Really?

Well, that certainly answers the question why I am not getting pulses. I think the interesting part though is the spark works etc.....

Now, Graeme, 85-308, just emailed me with details on the ECM he has so I will talk to him offline but I either laugh or I am going to set fire to the car...... But hey, I know darn well that the wiring is pretty much correct now for my setup.....

On to getting a chip and getting it flashed by gmtuners. More delays but progress..... I think I am going to watch the Superbowl today just to not set the car on fire...

Cheers
        Don
        Don
        Last edited by Don; 02-02-2020, 04:15 PM.
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post

No kidding...No chip.
          Bwa-hahaha! That explains a few things!

Comment

• Yes it does...........
            308 Ferrari replica
            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloozberry View Post
              Bwa-hahaha! That explains a few things!
              Laughing WITH you.....Lord knows I've pulled my share of stuff like this! Ever forget to hook the battery back up?.....not yet?.....give it time!

Still following....you WILL get there.

"It's not that we're old.....it's just that we're not young anymore." ~ TSM

Comment

• And this si what the ECM opening should look like. Graeme, 85-308, has graciously offered up his ECM for the build so I am just waiting to hear back from Sinister Performance and what he requires to be sent to him for the flash.....

308 Ferrari replica
                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Decided to not waste the whole day until the game started so got Fusion360 and the 3d printer ramped up to make a part I have been thinking about for a while now but finally sat down to design and print. The IAT sensor setup I made in the air intake pipe worked quite well to hold to sensor when no strain was on it but once I added the wiring, it started to pull the senor out of the hole. I did not get the grommet mating surface quite right when making the part. I decided I would make up a clip that goes over the sensor that will hold it in place. The longer side legs will have either small holes drilled through and screws or I may still drill through the bung on the air pipe and make another clip that has little clips on the inside to hold in the drill holes. The outside ring of the bung is actually just a filling plate so it looks better.

A few pics to show how I did it.

Inside of the clip

With sensor ready to be marked and drilled to hold down

Second view

How the sensor fits in the clip
                  308 Ferrari replica
                  Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Originally posted by Don View Post
                    And this si what the ECM opening should look like. Graeme, 85-308, has graciously offered up his ECM for the build so I am just waiting to hear back from Sinister Performance and what he requires to be sent to him for the flash.....

Ha ha ha - Congrats Don. If you pulled all your hair out in the process, don't worry, It will grow back soon! Hope to hear it run soon.
                    MacGyver
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 02-04-2020, 06:42 PM.
                    My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• Sean;

Sadly the problem is at my age as the hair comes out it doesn't necessarily come back anymore.....

So, ECM on its way here thanks to the generosity of Graeme (85-308). The updated chip ordered from Ryan at Sinister Performance. I have to wire in the 3 wire high pressure A/C sensor so will do that and then I can move back into the interior and do the final updates on that area while waiting for the stuff for the engine to arrive.

Forward progress finally.

Wonder what I am going to find next........

Cheers
                      Don
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• It happens to all of us Don. I had a unfortunate event some months ago with Funnywheels. I got on it a bit to hard and one of the CVs pulled out of it's socket. Come to find out later that the Fiero trans mounts bent and caused the motor to shift enough to change the distance from the wheel hub to the trans. I wasn't smart enough to realize that that was why the CV failed. So, after replacing the CV parts (which wasn't easy because Dave had them custom made and I didn't know what car they came from) It failed again just pulling out of the driveway. After closer inspection I realized the mounts were bent so I ordered all new heavy duty ones from Rodney Dickman. 2 weeks later I got it all back together again and all was good. The following weekend I went up in my attic looking for something and low and behold, I came across another set of Rodney's Trans mounts sitting in a box I never used. Oh well, now I have replacements that I will probably forget that I have...…………. again
                        My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
                        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
                        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

• While I wait for parts to arrive again, I am focusing on a couple other areas that I wanted to look at. I wanted to redo the centre console carbon fibre as it just didn't turn out that well when I did it a couple years ago,. Wayne, dobie1, has a vacuum bag setup and has been pulling parts for a while now so good at it. I built up a bracing system so when we vacuum bag it, it will have a lot less ability to warp on us. I also want to have the 3.4 head cover to be carbon fibre and then I will put a Ferrari script on it. I ground the 3.4 DOHC off it (which was pointing in the wrong way anyway, and then filled in the spots to give a good surface. We are going to vacuum bag this one as well but will need to do a lot less vacuum as this one is not as well braced by the nature of its construction. Tape is on it in these pics until the caulking is dried. I used caulking to secure it to the frame and will be a lot easier to pull off afterward.
                          Cheers
                          Don

308 Ferrari replica
                          Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• First part in carbon. An amazing improvement on to what I had done previously.....

We are talking about maybe putting the Ferrari emblem script against the cover and then vacuum over the script as well to give it all a carbon shape. Not sure the cover will survive the vacuum without warping or getting misshaped if we have to go that hard on vacuum to pull out the edges of the script.... Might try a test run ... I am going to 3d print the Ferrari script so we have a disposable mold for the script.

308 Ferrari replica
                            Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

• Looking good Don, do the original parts remain and go back on the engine ? Like wrapping a part .
                              or just the new carbon fiber top layer is now the part? I’ve seen videos of vacuum bagging in which the resin is pulled into the bag to thoroughly encapsulate the part , then the part is removed off the mold shape . Was this the way it was done ? Any pics of the process ? It really looks trick . Thanks, Vin
                              Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

• Yes. This is only a cf covering layer to the thicker part underneath on my application. We have also done the "make a mold and then vacuum a cf part from it" as well so that you start with a fresh standalone part but these parts are only coverings. The engine cover has mounts under the top lid that connect to the fuel rail that I did not feel like having to remake etc.....

I also received my parts from Graeme so I now have an oem chip to go into the ECM and spare ECM and the flashed part from Sinister Performance is in transit to me.

Progress
                                Don
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X