Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DNA 3Sixty Build Diary - CdRsKuLL

Originally posted by Rob123
    what do you plan to do with the window in the boot? Just make it black? I don't think it would look ok to put a photo underneath as someone suggested...and there is no room for a fake engine, is there?
    hi m8, nar there isnt really much room.. so I have come up with a few options...

1. Leave it blank and just paint the base black and put a mesh/grill type thing like DNA have done.
    2. Put a heavy tint on it but also stick a picture of an engine underneth, so you can just make out the rockers and the ferrari logo on it.
    3. option 1, but also add some red leds, that run the length of the window (under the black bit) so at night the window glows red.
    4. fit a 32 inch lcd screen in there and then you can have unlimited pic's (bit far fetched, but as I'm fitting a computer in anyway.. maybe not that far fetched! ) Would be nice to have some tunes powering out and have some sort of visual spectrum analiser on the boot.. lol

mock up of option 2, but a bit darker it will be..

I am open to idea, as ts really the only thing that lets the car down... please offer some ideas if you have them

cheers

Steve
    DNA Owners Club - DNA Kitcar Related Website
    Extreme Owners Club - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't look big enough to put a fake engine cover under there. Which would be the best option. I don't like the LCD idea. I do like the ideas of LED's and a fake pic. Maybe with a combination of those plus a tint you could possibly fool most people you are driving past, especially at night. But I'm not sure if it could fool people up close under natural light.

So does this mean you didn't get the engine lense from DNA? Because I thought that already had a tint on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sbsport23
        Unfortunately it doesn't look big enough to put a fake engine cover under there. Which would be the best option. I don't like the LCD idea. I do like the ideas of LED's and a fake pic. Maybe with a combination of those plus a tint you could possibly fool most people you are driving past, especially at night. But I'm not sure if it could fool people up close under natural light.

So does this mean you didn't get the engine lense from DNA? Because I thought that already had a tint on it.
        Hi m8, no I havent got that yet, I am still missing afew bits to get it finished. I will be trying loads of different ideas until I'm happy with it. Its these little things that will either make or break the whole project.

As for the sound, I'm more than happy with DNA's exhaust and have ordered one with some door cards which should be ready for me to collect in a week or so. My friend has some exhaust bumper surrounds (the grill bits) I can have so I can get that fitted once its been sprayed. I might even ask the bodyshop to weld on some exhaust mounts so I can stick it straight on rather than bolting the brackets on. The brackets and rubbers will be used from the original exhaust that I still have. I am thinking about adding some extra support for the back of the kit just to give it alittle more strength. Again maybe a welding job for the bodyshop.. might as well use there gear :-)

I've been looking at my boot lid and I'm about 2mm out at the front, so it needs a very very slight adjustment at the back to correct it.. and I mean small not even a 1mm, were talking 0.2 or something.. lol

I will finish off the doors at least next week and hopefully get the front sorted.. not long now :-)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sbsport23

The engine glass cover from DNA is Acrylic (or plexiglass or perspex which are trade names for acrylic ) and it is an exact replica of glass, meaning it is clear to look thro but has the same green edge as glass, just as glass is. It is not ordinary clear acrylic, it is a grade called silica.In other words it is a replica of the real thing ( meaning glass ) Obviously the word replica in the kit car world raises all sorts of debates but I thought this was worth pointing out.
          So the tint you mention is just the same reflective tint that you get with glass but there are many tinted acrylic sheets to choose from so if someone want's to use a darker shade i.e. brown or grey or blue then that is up to them but i thought it was worth mentioning that the DNA replica cover is really a very accurate copy but made from acrylic not glass, plus it is double curvature not forced into shape from a flat panel.
          Technical and hands on engineer

Comment

I think medium tint is a good idea and enough to make it difficult to see inside the engine bay

Comment

i think a mid range tint would do best,but hay what do i know,but looking at the last 5 photos posted the dna bootlid looks great,reds a great choice by the way,do dna supply the perspex and the mesh grills at the side. silver does look good though,does ferrari do a silver with tan trim,i think that would look the dogs danglies.im going to next show for a look,edd

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                Originally posted by mikey68
                please excuse my ignorance in such matters but when you say 'bond' the doors etc, what does this involve and how strong is it?
                Hi m8, bonding is a form of glueing. For strength its very strong. If prepared and applied right you would be able to lift the whole car on it.

Steve

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you bond with?

Comment

The closest thing I can describe it to is like bathroom sealent. It comes in a similar tube and you put it in your gun type thing and just pull the trigger. DNA also gave me some priming agent, which is like a very small tin, bit like the hobby paint tin used on airfix kits. This I assume is some sort of acid and makes the surface easier to stick to. The only thing DNA didnt give me was a few nuts and bolts, everything else is supplied with there kit, including all the bonding stuff and some putty type stuff that you use on the doors to get the correct placement before bonding. Its nothing to worry about at all, I didnt know what it was until I bought the kit.

Steve

Comment

I have an idea...

Smooth it all out, like there was never glass there. And add some 355/f40 style vents on it. You know what I'm talking about?

It will look Ferrari-Style aftermarket, but at the same time, hide your issue.
                    -Rob

Comment

Well, decided on the rear window, just going with the grill ,tint and maybe a bit of false structure I think after talking to DNA today, it gets to the point where you need to draw the line in tackyness. do I really want a picture of a ferrari engine !. Very happy with the kit and how its going, which reminds me I need to email dna with the bits I need. They said just email them with what I need.. lets see if they can stretch to a new wife !

Steve

Comment

Well, not had much time at all, wifes keeping me busy.. My reg plates all fully transfered now so I can stick them straight on :-) Still waiting on the high level brake light and a the rest of the rear's , but it did make me smile when I put the reg plate on the car :-)

what do you think :-)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ops
                          Looking Good Steve ..... What colour you planing on??
                          Hi m8, its going in a week tomorrow :-) Rosso red (very rare I hear.. lol) with a black light panel at the back. I will be removing my seats as well and there going to be recovered and should be ready for the car when I get it back. I cant decided on the leather. I either want black with red stitching or cream... I'm sorta going with the black but keep changing my mind.. lol

Steve

Comment

Well I need to put as many hours in as poss to get it ready for spraying a week tomorrow. So I went in the tiny garage tonight and managed to get alittle done. DNA advised me NOT to rush the boot, and roll hoop bit as things like this make or brake the final look of this kit.. So I managed to get one side catch done to hold down the boot (can only do one side as I cant walk round the car.. lol) I added one flappy bit, was a bit of a struggle as I should of done it with the boot OFF the car and not in the air.. O well live and learn. I have managed to do one flap bit but I am unsure on the gaps. I know theres alot of tolerance in this, but I'm working on 5mm at the mo.

Also can a fellow dna builder comment if I need a gap at the join in the second picture or is this ment to be flush like it is ?

The only thing thats attached here is the flap, it does need dropping by a washer thinkness, but the gaps look spot on to me.. am I doing this right ?

cheers guys

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                              Well I need to put as many hours in as poss to get it ready for spraying a week tomorrow. So I went in the tiny garage tonight and managed to get alittle done. DNA advised me NOT to rush the boot, and roll hoop bit as things like this make or brake the final look of this kit.. So I managed to get one side catch done to hold down the boot (can only do one side as I cant walk round the car.. lol) I added one flappy bit, was a bit of a struggle as I should of done it with the boot OFF the car and not in the air.. O well live and learn. I have managed to do one flap bit but I am unsure on the gaps. I know theres alot of tolerance in this, but I'm working on 5mm at the mo.

Also can a fellow dna builder comment if I need a gap at the join in the second picture or is this ment to be flush like it is ?

The only thing thats attached here is the flap, it does need dropping by a washer thinkness, but the gaps look spot on to me.. am I doing this right ?

cheers guys

Steve
                              the gaps look good keep the gaps equal all around these parts front and top

Comment

thanks m8.. its coming together very nice :-) I want to put the other flap on before I attach the hoop cover just to check the gap at the other side. But I'm very impressed with the gaps all round the car. When I was down to pick up the kit just over 4 weeks ago somethings you were telling me in my 2 hour install guide didnt quite make sense, but now I'm at them points things are falling into place nicely.

Some one asked for a estimate on build time, unsure to be honest as there was a week or two which I havent done anything. I would approx maybe about 40-60 hours. I could prob half that time now I have done them bits but I am being carefull not to make too many mistakes.

Once I have done the boot I will finish off the door handles and get the doors bonded on. I will then finish the front and attach that right, then get the petrol flap done .. and err thats about it I think :-) well for pre-paint anyway

cant wait :-)

Steve

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X