Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DNA 3Sixty Build Diary - CdRsKuLL

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
    thanks m8.. its coming together very nice :-) I want to put the other flap on before I attach the hoop cover just to check the gap at the other side. But I'm very impressed with the gaps all round the car. When I was down to pick up the kit just over 4 weeks ago somethings you were telling me in my 2 hour install guide didnt quite make sense, but now I'm at them points things are falling into place nicely.

Some one asked for a estimate on build time, unsure to be honest as there was a week or two which I havent done anything. I would approx maybe about 40-60 hours. I could prob half that time now I have done them bits but I am being carefull not to make too many mistakes.

Once I have done the boot I will finish off the door handles and get the doors bonded on. I will then finish the front and attach that right, then get the petrol flap done .. and err thats about it I think :-) well for pre-paint anyway

cant wait :-)

Steve
    Can I pay you to make me a kit ?

Comment

Originally posted by NYJATT911
      thanks m8.. its coming together very nice :-) I want to put the other flap on before I attach the hoop cover just to check the gap at the other side. But I'm very impressed with the gaps all round the car. When I was down to pick up the kit just over 4 weeks ago somethings you were telling me in my 2 hour install guide didnt quite make sense, but now I'm at them points things are falling into place nicely.

Some one asked for a estimate on build time, unsure to be honest as there was a week or two which I havent done anything. I would approx maybe about 40-60 hours. I could prob half that time now I have done them bits but I am being carefull not to make too many mistakes.

Once I have done the boot I will finish off the door handles and get the doors bonded on. I will then finish the front and attach that right, then get the petrol flap done .. and err thats about it I think :-) well for pre-paint anyway

cant wait :-)

Steve
      Can I pay you to make me a kit ?
      ??
      you can pay us to make you a kit?

Comment

Sorry I wont be making anyone a kit at the mo. The worst thing about the DNA kit, or any kitcar come to think of it is the WIFE.. As she was against me building a kit to start with its a constant battle trying to balance between her and the car. Lets hope when she see's the finished product it will all be worth it :-)

I would approach DNA themselves as they can taylor make a package just for you, if you are happy about stripping the mr2 or want to finish the car yourself then they can do all this for you.

I did approach them myself and got a price for the adding the kit to my stripped mr2 just incase things got on top of me (plan B shall we call it) but I'm very happy today I didnt need at as its gone together a breeze. As you can see within this thread I've only had the kit 4 weeks and its already on the car and nearly ready for paint. It would defo be ready if I had worked on it a little bit more rather than just an hour here 2 hours there. I prob had a couple weeks off if you read through as wel.

Honestly I am really enjoying building it and will be sad when its finished.. Get a kt ordered.. get it built mate. Its great fun, you have something to show for it after and if your really really dont like it you can always sell it most likely for more than your bought it all for.. so its a win win situation :-)

O.. just finished the other boot catch, now on with the other flappy bit (wish I knew there proper name..lol)

pics to come

Steve
        DNA Owners Club - DNA Kitcar Related Website
        Extreme Owners Club - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

Comment

ok, had my 1 1/2 hours today, got to go and pick my lad up from school, hes doing mornings only this week. So I managed to get the other flappy bit on and get it aligned up right, got the other boot catch fitted and I also aligned up the centre hoop holder thing. I have also taken hmmm advice on the and will bond / fit it in stages. I have at the moment just mixed some p40 up and pushed it up into the carrier type thing and am leaving it to go hard, once thats done I will do either side and then add some more and get it nice and secure. :-) As you can see from the below picture all the gaps are looking good :-)

Will try and do a couple of hours on it tonight, will have to see how it goes.

Steve

Comment

NYJATT911, I'll build you one if you get everything sent to my house. Will be building my own soon but quite happy to do one for someone else first. No money up front. Done to whatever stage of finish you want. Pay when complete ;D

Comment

just saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferrari-360-St...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

well.. I wish I hadnt gone into the garage tonight.. lol I decided to drill the holes for the hoop bars tonight BAD MISTAKE.. stupidly for some reason I thought the holes were round, but there not as the hoop going in at an angle.. + I just did my normal.. drill a hole.. "it will be right".. well not tonight.

The hoop holes have to be right and mine were just a mess to be honest, first mistake really it was bound to happen. Anyway I 'did' have a hole big enough to stick two bloody hoop bars through nevermind one. So I came out about an hour ago and sat and had a brew, fed up because I had made a stupid error.

Went back in after my brew and stood and had a think how am I going to rebuild these thing.. so I looked about and got a spraytin paint lid and it was the same size as the hoops + padding.. HUZZAH, so I drilled a hole in the middle and slide it up the hoop. I then as you can see from the picture glassed upto it and because the lid is flexable I'm hoping I can just squeeze it a little bit and remove it to reveal a hole just right :-) ok it will need sanding and filling but at least it will be spot on :-)

keeping my fingers x'd, going to see in 5 mins if I've managed to fix it.

Steve

Comment

phew.. its going to turn out ok me thinks :-) god save the paint tin lid..

bit of fill and it will be spot on.

I might even do the other side like this, at least that way the holes will be right.

Steve

Comment

That was a pretty good idea.

I think it will clean up very well.

Nice job,

Dave
                    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Hi Steve, actually looks like you'll get a better accurate finish too. Nice one!

Don't suppose you have seen any more decent donors about. Can't seem to find one which I think will be suitable without spending silly money. The wife thinks a divorce is on the cards if I go and spend 7k+ on a nice MR2 then strip it down to a chassis! LOL

Got to keep her happy too. Plus, the doc says I have to stop drinking so need to do something with my hands!

Comment

Originally posted by mikey68
                        Hi Steve, actually looks like you'll get a better accurate finish too. Nice one!

Don't suppose you have seen any more decent donors about. Can't seem to find one which I think will be suitable without spending silly money. The wife thinks a divorce is on the cards if I go and spend 7k+ on a nice MR2 then strip it down to a chassis! LOL

Got to keep her happy too. Plus, the doc says I have to stop drinking so need to do something with my hands!

Hi m8.. I have done the other hoop the same today and did abit more on the hoop bar, but picking my lad upo from school put an end to todays fun. I havent been looking for another mr2 to be honest, but check out to see if you can get a flood damaged one maybe. Also just email loads of salvage places. I paid 5k for my 03 plate and its a Cat D repair. I took it to be 4 wheel aligned and its spot on and drives fine. The kits gone on fine too. Worst case is just get a good cheap 2000 model for around 4k

Comment

only thing I dont want though is a pre '03car without the 6 speed, but I also wanted the easier route of the light wiring etc. I am a qualified electrical/electronic/mechanical engineer by trade, in a previous life, although it's not what I do anymore, but anything for an easy life these days. can't wait to get started and hopefully will be able to give DNA/Extreme a call depending on which decent donor I find first. When I see yours and Stevo's cars, I think for my first one i'll be happy doing either, but I don't want a donor which is a dog, requiring lots of work before I start the kit side of things. Doesn't look good parked at the side of the A1 with the hazards flashing away!!!

I have prepared my garage so far as it's not much bigger than your own. Floor is cleared and painted ready. All 4 toolboxes/bags sorted. New drills etc bought. New shed installed in back garden for storage space and doing any noisy little bits of work away from house. Oh, and i've rigged up a spare laptop with webcam in the garage so it'll be on 24/7 when I start the build. I'll post the web address soon to make sure it's all working. Hopefully you'll see an empty garage fill up with bits of metal and fibreglass!! ;D I plan on doing at least 2 full days a week and prob an hour or two each day anyway. I work shifts so shouldn't be a prob weekdays.

Unfortunately I cant get to Donny as i'm working both days on early start shift so unless i fly down, I can't make it!! Bloody shame. Just hope someone does some video to put on YouTube etc as well as loads of pics.

Comment

Hi m8, yeah there the reasons I went for a 03 one, 6 speed and extra bracing or something I've read. Love the webcam idea :-) bit like big brother.. will defo tune in. U want to add some sort of feedback so we can talk back to you.. would be fun.. lol

Well tonight I have been really taking my time on these gaps.. I have take some off.. put some back on.. lol moved bits here and there. Its getting there but progress seems slow as I have only been doing 1.5 hours in the morning and the same in the evening, so by the end of day 3 (tomorrow night) I should have the back fitted and the hoop bars all done (DNA Allocate 1 day for this) so I aint to far off the mark.

Bit of a crappy picture, but both bars are on, but I might redo one of the end holes.. no point skipping it just for an hours work and making sure its right, otherwise it would always bug me. Dont forget the bars have leather padding on them !

more to come.. fingers crossed a finished hoop bar and rear end tomorrow. Then I will start on the petrol flap.

Still got the doors to finish off, but its defo getting there

Steve

Comment

cdrskull,have you built anything in the past.what is your skill level,you seem to have way around problems.edd

Comment

Hi m8, yeah there the reasons I went for a 03 one, 6 speed and extra bracing or something I've read. Love the webcam idea :-) bit like big brother.. will defo tune in. U want to add some sort of feedback so we can talk back to you.. would be fun.. lol

Well tonight I have been really taking my time on these gaps.. I have take some off.. put some back on.. lol moved bits here and there. Its getting there but progress seems slow as I have only been doing 1.5 hours in the morning and the same in the evening, so by the end of day 3 (tomorrow night) I should have the back fitted and the hoop bars all done (DNA Allocate 1 day for this) so I aint to far off the mark.

Bit of a crappy picture, but both bars are on, but I might redo one of the end holes.. no point skipping it just for an hours work and making sure its right, otherwise it would always bug me. Dont forget the bars have leather padding on them !

more to come.. fingers crossed a finished hoop bar and rear end tomorrow. Then I will start on the petrol flap.

Still got the doors to finish off, but its defo getting there

Steve

Steve check with your painter but he may want you to strip these parts back down for painting so leave time for this if thats what he wants. looking good though!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X