DNA 3Sixty Build Diary - CdRsKuLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DNA 3Sixty Build Diary - CdRsKuLL

Great stuff. Any idea how much the paint will cost total? I'm busy budgeting now after speaking to DNA(Roland?). He obviously believes in his product and your results show it to be good.
    Looked at a possible donor today but turns out it has been rear ended. If the chassis isn't bent then i'm a monkeys butthole!!
    I have one question i've been meaning to ask for ages but was afraid to. As an engineer, I understand forces, etc, but is there a problem with wheel bearings failing on replicas built on MR2's where there have been very wide spacers fitted, especially if driven hard?

I'm trying to get my head around how this isn't a big problem with these builds.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

You could get any bodyshop to spray it. I've had quotes from a simple 1000 to 2500. The latter is the one I've gone for. The company I have picked have lots of experiance in painting fibre glass kits. They have also done the DNA kit and fully understand whats needed to be done, which is a blessing as if I had gone with the cheaper quote, they would of ended up adding loads on etc..

If I'm spending 15,000 + paint on this kit I dont want it to look crap. Thats why I'm hoping I've gone with the best. I am also having a new windscreen put in just to make sure its a proper job. They are also sorting out the mirrors for me. :-)

I will let you know if I would recommend this company when I get it back.

The way I look at it is theres no point spending the money I have and get a cheap spray job. I would defo budget 2500 for the paint.

I've lost count on how much I've spent to be honest.

I will be posting pics of my seats when I get them back. I took them down today and spent 20 mins going over with the guy what could be done with them to make the look like the 360 seats. He came up with something good I think. I am also going to waste a rear horse badge so he can try using it to emboss the ferrari logo into the headrests.

I will be down at DNA next monday I think to collect the rest of my bits (need to confirm) , these include lower wishbones (so I can put my wheels on the front) rear window and steering wheel + other bits.

I have ordered some red L.E.D's from hong kong and these well be used in the rear glass. I'm hoping to give it a red glow at night when I turn my lights on. I ordered some high brightness ones, 96cm in length. I will add a variable resister so I can alter the brightness to suit. I may even make some sort of thing where I can connect it to the sound output and have it flashing along with the beat.. lol (hey I'm not j/k'in)

As for spacers, I was also a bit errr.. what the word and how do you spell it, aprehensive about these until I talked to a guy thats been running 90mm ones for the last 4 years on his 355 and he hasnt had a single problem and he drives it hard. I am not worried about this at all, if the bearings go they will get replaced. If they go once every couple of years its not a problem, the enjoyment you will get out of driving it far out ways the small costs of new bearing.

hope some of this info helps. I will still have lots to do on my kit when I get it back.. so lots more pic's still to come.

Steve
      DNA Owners Club - DNA Kitcar Related Website
      Extreme Owners Club - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

Comment

thought your wheels were already on it! My plan is to do all prep work on donor before kit. I think there are a couple of companies who move kitcars/etc around the country so might look at their prices if your paint turns out well. You could ask the guy doing your seats/paint etc for a discount if you drum up business for them. I'm interested to see how your seats turn out. Glad to hear you went with the black with red. Good choice I think but the flashing red light led's? You were joking weren't you?
        I'm just doing some repair work on my sons mini F430 so my garage isn't free at the minute. ;D :-[

L8r.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey68
          thought your wheels were already on it! My plan is to do all prep work on donor before kit. I think there are a couple of companies who move kitcars/etc around the country so might look at their prices if your paint turns out well. You could ask the guy doing your seats/paint etc for a discount if you drum up business for them. I'm interested to see how your seats turn out. Glad to hear you went with the black with red. Good choice I think but the flashing red light led's? You were joking weren't you?
          I'm just doing some repair work on my sons mini F430 so my garage isn't free at the minute.

L8r.
          F430... now your joking arent you ? The paint shop organised a truck to pick my car up and George (the driver) was very nice and it was very cheap :-) 40 and the shops prob 40 miles away, bargain I thought. He said he had just come back from france, so I think anywhere in the UK isnt a problem at all. My back wheels are on, but not my front wheels. I do intend to go down to the shop and fit them whilst its there.. :-)

Where abouts are you m8 anyway ?

Steve

Comment

I'm beside Humberside airport, North Lincolnsire.
            sons 6Volt F430 converted to 24V. 2yr old Speed freak!! Just wishh I could fit in it myself. ;D

Comment

ahh.. lol I have a yellow corvette waiting in my dads garage ready for xmas for my boys (2 and 4)... so I know where your coming from. This ones just 'stock' at the mo..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                  I have ordered some red L.E.D's from hong kong and these well be used in the rear glass. I'm hoping to give it a red glow at night when I turn my lights on. I ordered some high brightness ones, 96cm in length. I will add a variable resister so I can alter the brightness to suit. I may even make some sort of thing where I can connect it to the sound output and have it flashing along with the beat.. lol (hey I'm not j/k'in)
                  Just a heads up for you... LED's don't work like normal bulbs, they are either on or off with voltage so a variable resistor won't have any affect, you have to sort out a PWM circuit to quickly pulse them on/off to give the illusion of them being dimmer...

Rich
                  http://www.ricola.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ricola
                    Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                    Just a heads up for you... LED's don't work like normal bulbs, they are either on or off with voltage so a variable resistor won't have any affect, you have to sort out a PWM circuit to quickly pulse them on/off to give the illusion of them being dimmer...

Rich
                    thanks m8.. I will have to try and find one of them then :-)

Comment

Now you see why i'm jealous?

Hey Black Ops, I'd swap a son (2yr old monster nicknamed Damien, for a 360 any day, LOL)

Comment

hmmm does that engine sticker peel off ? I have an idea.. lol

Comment

You guys!!! LOL

Comment

TO MUCH INFORMATION.. lol you cant have been married long.. She says I'm going through my midlife crisis.. I said at least its a car and not some young girl.. although the car once finished might help attract a nice young girl.. lol

I've been emailed the paintshop making sure we both know what needs doing and agreeing on costs etc before anything is done. I think this is very important when getting anything out of the ordinary done. I would advise everyone to do this. It saves any issues later :-)

O yeah.. and my front bumper is already in primer :-) how fast is that :-)

Really looking forward no to getting it back and spending sometime on the interior and doorcards etc... just a shame it wasnt a couple of months earlier then it would of been ready for Donny !

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ops
                              God if I said that my wife would not let me get a car ....
                              lol, I never said the last bit. But now my lads started school there are some very nice young mums there..

Comment

Been married 5 years, together 10. Far too bloody long and yes, there are some real 'yummy mummys' (or milfs) out there. Mide life crisis Steve? Me too I guess.

Yet another question for you Steve, How much sanding/prep did you need to do before sending it off for paint?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X