Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pics......
    Attached Files
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Comment

• WOW! just beautiful!! What a masterpiece.
      [COLOR=#333333]It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr[/COLOR]

Comment

• Looking great Dale, now to get Sandy and you to come down to Ogunquit Maine next summer!
        Dana

Comment

• Funny you mentioned his name. I was trying to locate him lately. He changed his e-mail address.
          Anyone here have it?
          Actually Sandy sold his Koenig to someone in Toronto a while back but thanks for the invite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daleford View Post
            Just to keep this thread alive I am posting a big howdy to everyone. I have new pics of the Koenig attached.
            Posted 1/5/2008:
            Headlight covers. I used acrylic which breaks easier but is nicer to buff and keep clean. These have 1 mounting stud in each corner that is hiden from view and a 1.5 inch black border sprayed on the bottom side. I gotta say, these look better that a lot of Willy Koenig's covers.

Daleford,
            I recently got a TR replica. The PO removed the pop-up headlights, motors, and linkage. They replaced it with ... something. I think the original intent was to have something similar to your lights, but their finished product is not even the same sport, much less the same ball park as your's.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to reinstall the old pop-up motor system with a TR replica enclosure (like Bodyman has), or just keep what I have and cover them with a nice looking cover like your's. I prefer the pop-up look, and found a set of light enclosures... however, I'd still need to find the motors, linkage, hinges, a method of mounting the lights inside the enclosure, etc. Long-term, that is what I'd like to do.

For the short-term, I'm thinking about just covering the four lights with plexiglass, similar to what you have done. However, I don't know how to make them look "right". You have achieved that!

Do you have more photos showing your light covers? It looks like two layers... maybe fiberglass, aluminum, or steel sheet on the bottom as a frame, and acrylic on top?

Did you put the mounting studs into the frame, then cover the frame with a sheet of acrylic (after painting a border on the acrylic to hide the piece of metal)? Or were you able to attach the mounting studs directly to the acrylic somehow?

I hope you don't mind my questions. Your car is built to the level of quality I would like to see mine become.

Comment

• Drew: You have it all figured out exactly!

Do you have more photos showing your light covers?----- I don't have any other pics that I took at that time
              It looks like two layers... maybe fiberglass, aluminum, or steel sheet on the bottom as a frame, and acrylic on top? ----- Yes, 2 layers, and it is an acrylic frame and top.

Did you put the mounting studs into the frame, ------ Yes
              then cover the frame with a sheet of acrylic (after painting a border on the acrylic to hide the piece of acrylic)----- Yes

Only problem was I had no space to put nuts on the studs from the bottom so I used alligator clips
              Oh, and a new problem they are now delaminating at the corners. I used urethane for bonding. Maybe you should use a better product for that. Maybe epoxy??

Comment

• Thank you for the reply. I'm so glad you returned to the forum.

Originally posted by Daleford View Post
                Drew: You have it all figured out exactly!

Do you have more photos showing your light covers?----- I don't have any other pics that I took at that time
                That's ok... I'll forgive the lack of proper documentation... on the condition that you now provide current photos of the assembly...

lol Just kidding, but if you don't mind taking some detail photos for the assembly, how it fits over the light "tray", how it intersects with the hood, etc, I would really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Daleford View Post
                It looks like two layers... maybe fiberglass, aluminum, or steel sheet on the bottom as a frame, and acrylic on top? ----- Yes, 2 layers, and it is an acrylic frame and top.

Did you put the mounting studs into the frame, ------ Yes
                then cover the frame with a sheet of acrylic (after painting a border on the acrylic to hide the piece of acrylic)----- Yes

Only problem was I had no space to put nuts on the studs from the bottom so I used alligator clips
                Oh, and a new problem they are now delaminating at the corners. I used urethane for bonding. Maybe you should use a better product for that. Maybe epoxy??
                When you say "delaminating", do you mean the two layers are coming apart from each other, or the acrylic itself is flaking off the top of the lens layer? I had an old car with the formed headlight lenses, and the outer layer turned yellow and began to delaminate and flake off. It really decreased the amount of light transmitted through the lens to the roadway. I think it was basically rock chips that damaged the lens.

When you say "alligator clips", do you mean the electrical wiring things?

Anyway, thank you for the reply!

Comment

• Hello OK I'll get you some new pics as I plan to fix the delamination soon. It is the 2 layers of acrylic that are separating.
                  Yes, those are the clips. And I like your pet!

Comment

• By the way, are your light "trays" (the horizontal portion of the light assembly, and framing around the lights) home made, or did you retrofit one from another car?

Mine are home made. There is no way to adjust the beams, no framing for the lights. The four rectangular lights are "glued" into place with some kind of black silicone sealer, or something. They don't really hit the road way very well, and the high beams are especially off-aim.

How my car looks with the high beams on:

Like I said, long term I would like to install the popup system, but I can't take on that project yet.

Comment

• My light trays are part of the hood, as are the fenders - 1 solid one piece fiberglass tilting hood.
                      The "buckets" with adjusters are attached to the rear of the light trays. I think they are from an older Sunbird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daleford View Post
                        My light trays are part of the hood, as are the fenders - 1 solid one piece fiberglass tilting hood.
                        The "buckets" with adjusters are attached to the rear of the light trays. I think they are from an older Sunbird.
                        Oh, interesting. My car has a front clip (fenders and nose), and a separate hood. I think the hood is an overlay on top of the original Fiero hood... VERY heavy. Not sure if that idea will work on my car then, since your's is a one piece.

I'll Google images of the Sunbird, and may try to find used "light bucket" parts on eBay. If they are close, and cheap, I may order a set to play around with.

I look forward to seeing your detail photos, and thank you for the information about your lights. I'm about to put coolant back into the car (replaced the coolant hoses after a blowout), so then I can hopefully start looking into some ways to improve the appearance and realism of the car.

Comment

• Your pics are on my list. It is just that the rear of the car is jacked up now and I can't open the flip front.
                          The Sunbird was probably from the mid-80's and had the smallest size rectangular headlights. Lots of those at the U-Pick.
                          Easier to send pics to your e-mail address. PM me with that.

Comment

• No problem. I hope my excitement doesn't come across as pushiness. I understand "the list"... I'm learning why these builds take so long... day job, family time, fix this before you can fix that, special ordering parts... lol

PM sent with email address.

Comment

• This Koenig has been sold. New owner is in New Brunswick Canada and his name is Serge. I am sure he will give the car a good home.

Comment

• It sure was a beautiful car. Thanks for sharing the ride.

(What's next??)

Bob
                                Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                                http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X