Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand New Build Foam CNC Lamborghini.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brand New Build Foam CNC Lamborghini.

    Sup you guys. Ive been following builds on this forum for 2 years but will be starting my own now. Im starting from bare scratch. I wont be buying a pre-made kit since it is too expensive for my budget. I will be milling the panels out of foam and taking molds from it then parting it. I am actually undecided on which car i want design and build first, a Lamborghini or a Ferrari Italia. I personally would want to build an Italia but because im building this car to sell, lamborghini might be the better option since it would be easier to sell, what you guys think? Im planning on building it over a MR2 or a Fiero, hopefully i can find one for dirty cheap <$1200?

    Right now i am in the stage of building my CNC machine. Not sure if you guys are interested in this stuff but it will have a 3'x3'x2.5' milling area. Here are some pictures of the beggining process of the CNC build. I will keep you guys updated on the machine build also.





  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice to see more people with CNC machines, Im also at the constructing phase right now.
      My CNC build thread - testing : Test Forum

      what kind of budget do you have for this CNC machine? might be easier and faster to get a kit (~500 gantry) for the rest and modify the Z height.
      You wont need a super study/strong machine to cut foam.

      A member here was looking to make an Italia out of a Mazda MX6 and replicas and sprung up in Mexico so you could have competition at the end if your looking to maximize your profits... I for one really like that model and think you should do it anyway. Im not sure how that member who came up with the Mazda donor would feel, if you'd do the same... if he's abandoned his idea, but its really a perfect donor he found which cuts the huge cost of having a custom tube chassis and makes replicas affordable to the public as a whole.
      ArashB
      Active Users
      Last edited by ArashB; 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM.
      Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages.:cool: [url]http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts[/url]

      Comment


      • #4
        RobsLP640 and CarKitInc are selling Lambo bodies so cheap that I doubt you could make any profit on it. I'd go 458. Either way, if you plan to replicate and sell supercar bodies, do your homework to avoid trademark and legal issues.

        I'm not sure what you plan to use, but you can find nice 3d models on turbosquid and the3dstudio.com

        Good luck.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ArashB View Post
          Nice to see more people with CNC machines, Im also at the constructing phase right now.
          My CNC build thread - testing : Test Forum

          what kind of budget do you have for this CNC machine? might be easier and faster to get a kit (~500 gantry) for the rest and modify the Z height.
          You wont need a super study/strong machine to cut foam.

          A member here was looking to make an Italia out of a Mazda MX6 and replicas and sprung up in Mexico so you could have competition at the end if your looking to maximize your profits... I for one really like that model and think you should do it anyway. Im not sure how that member who came up with the Mazda donor would feel, if you'd do the same... if he's abandoned his idea, but its really a perfect donor he found which cuts the huge cost of having a custom tube chassis and makes replicas affordable to the public as a whole.
          sup arash, ive already purchased all the parts i need and it ended up being close to $600. That includes a 425 oz 3 axis kit from ebay ($380), i coulda used the 270 oz kit which would have been half the price. The whole thing wont take me long to put together, if i had all the parts i could put it together in 3 days. Im still waiting on the cnc kit to come though which will take a week if not more.

          Thats cool your building your own cnc machine (even though it looks funky to be honest), i will be following your progress and hope you will with mine also. Its kinda cool your building a cnc machine to mill out an RC car, and im building a cnc machine to later use on building an electric sports car which is the same as an RC car really. You have a knack for designing cars, your renderings are really nice. How good are you with designing full scale cars in CAD? if you are i could possibly use your help in the future.

          Comment


          • #6
            What software will you use on your cnc and at what cutting speed?Keep in mind that you are limited to cutter length and dia. size so you would have to slice the components and layer them.Have a look at Aspire 3 from Vectric will do most of what you need to cut your body also look at the price (ouch!).It Might be another option to get your parts machined by an outside company. Try machmate.com and see who is in your area couple of nice chaps that can help you mine is #23. Bet your wife won`t like the dust in her house ( mine would be the F 40 )

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi, I too am very interested to learn about this proccess! Will you be cutting profile slices, individual panels, or full body? How large of a object will your machine be able do?

              Comment


              • #8
                Cutting would have to be done in components and layered as one is restricted to the length of the cutter.My cnc cutting table size is 9x6 with a 5 inch safe cutting hight but I would layer the components in 60 mm thick pieces.The software that is available allows one to do quite a lot.Foam would be the item to use and some ply to give it rigidness and anchoring points once all the parts are milled and to line them up to make a male jig.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ncrazyballa View Post
                  sup arash, ive already purchased all the parts i need and it ended up being close to $600. That includes a 425 oz 3 axis kit from ebay ($380), i coulda used the 270 oz kit which would have been half the price. The whole thing wont take me long to put together, if i had all the parts i could put it together in 3 days. Im still waiting on the cnc kit to come though which will take a week if not more.

                  Thats cool your building your own cnc machine (even though it looks funky to be honest), i will be following your progress and hope you will with mine also. Its kinda cool your building a cnc machine to mill out an RC car, and im building a cnc machine to later use on building an electric sports car which is the same as an RC car really. You have a knack for designing cars, your renderings are really nice. How good are you with designing full scale cars in CAD? if you are i could possibly use your help in the future.
                  Its great you'll have it assembled soon and if you post your progress here, we can all learn and help.
                  Im on my second CNC build right now (with the first small one being a success and as crudely made) and I also recommend the Vectric software too.

                  Here is a picture I took tonight
                  http://i.imgur.com/XUF0p.jpg

                  Im actually planning on milling out a conversion kit for my Nissan 300zx but at the same time Im broke to afford the heater and generator I'll need to setup the plastic vacuum apparatus for making the panels.
                  Thats where the RC cars comes in to fund my equipment.

                  I am learning new modeling techniques but for now I basically mix and match different car design panels into what I find attractive.
                  Like here I mated the Agera cars front end.

                  In my renders I use reduced polygon models so that I can manipulate the designs fast on my computer... by using higher resolution 3Ds it should all be sufficient for life size cars too.

                  Your electric super car idea sounds very exciting and I would be pleased if you liked one of my concepts. Im guessing the compact batteries will be the most expensive part of the build but hopefully you'll be successful in which ever replica you make to save up.
                  ArashB
                  Active Users
                  Last edited by ArashB; 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM.
                  Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages.:cool: [url]http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts[/url]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hanlu View Post
                    Cutting would have to be done in components and layered as one is restricted to the length of the cutter.My cnc cutting table size is 9x6 with a 5 inch safe cutting hight but I would layer the components in 60 mm thick pieces.The software that is available allows one to do quite a lot.Foam would be the item to use and some ply to give it rigidness and anchoring points once all the parts are milled and to line them up to make a male jig.
                    JUST A HINT (learnt the hard way)... One day decided to cut a 4'x8' Foam panel on my 5'x10' CNC router. Yes I even had my commercial grade dust collector turned on. OMFG ... you have not lived til you have covered everything in a 24'x20' shop with foam dust/chips that are statically charged and stick to anything.
                    DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR HOME ... your wife WILL murder you.
                    [COLOR=#ff0000]
                    [/COLOR]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hanlu View Post
                      What software will you use on your cnc and at what cutting speed?Keep in mind that you are limited to cutter length and dia. size so you would have to slice the components and layer them.Have a look at Aspire 3 from Vectric will do most of what you need to cut your body also look at the price (ouch!).It Might be another option to get your parts machined by an outside company. Try machmate.com and see who is in your area couple of nice chaps that can help you mine is #23. Bet your wife won`t like the dust in her house ( mine would be the F 40 )
                      mechmate.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey guys, ive made a little progress today. Thought i was going to be able to create and assemble major parts for the X axis but ended up only getting the rails done. I spent 3 hours just getting the base and stand level, did alot of sanding on the part where the x axis rail will sit on so that when i screw in the rails it will be accurate and level. Got the rails cut, chamfered and glued the aluminum angle to the edges. Tomorrow i will be working on the slides.



                        ncrazyballa
                        Senior Member
                        Last edited by ncrazyballa; 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RHK View Post
                          RobsLP640 and CarKitInc are selling Lambo bodies so cheap that I doubt you could make any profit on it. I'd go 458. Either way, if you plan to replicate and sell supercar bodies, do your homework to avoid trademark and legal issues.

                          I'm not sure what you plan to use, but you can find nice 3d models on turbosquid and the3dstudio.com

                          Good luck.
                          Thanks, im getting excited to see all the cars i can build from those websites.

                          Originally posted by Hanlu View Post
                          What software will you use on your cnc and at what cutting speed?Keep in mind that you are limited to cutter length and dia. size so you would have to slice the components and layer them.Have a look at Aspire 3 from Vectric will do most of what you need to cut your body also look at the price (ouch!).It Might be another option to get your parts machined by an outside company. Try machmate.com and see who is in your area couple of nice chaps that can help you mine is #23. Bet your wife won`t like the dust in her house ( mine would be the F 40 )

                          yea, the plan was to mill sections and then piece them together, hopefully it will go as planned. Not sure which software im going to use yet. Nice, i wouldnt mind building the f40 either. Im only 23, no wife
                          Originally posted by ArashB View Post
                          Its great you'll have it assembled soon and if you post your progress here, we can all learn and help.
                          Im on my second CNC build right now (with the first small one being a success and as crudely made) and I also recommend the Vectric software too.

                          Here is a picture I took tonight
                          http://i.imgur.com/XUF0p.jpg

                          Im actually planning on milling out a conversion kit for my Nissan 300zx but at the same time Im broke to afford the heater and generator I'll need to setup the plastic vacuum apparatus for making the panels.
                          Thats where the RC cars comes in to fund my equipment.

                          I am learning new modeling techniques but for now I basically mix and match different car design panels into what I find attractive.
                          Like here I mated the Agera cars front end.

                          In my renders I use reduced polygon models so that I can manipulate the designs fast on my computer... by using higher resolution 3Ds it should all be sufficient for life size cars too.

                          Your electric super car idea sounds very exciting and I would be pleased if you liked one of my concepts. Im guessing the compact batteries will be the most expensive part of the build but hopefully you'll be successful in which ever replica you make to save up.
                          Why would you need a heater and generator to create the body panels? you can cnc the part out of foam, primer it, sand it, clear coat it , sand it to smooth finish then take molds for fiberglassing. Much cheaper then doing heat plastic molding.

                          Originally posted by CARBUILDER View Post
                          JUST A HINT (learnt the hard way)... One day decided to cut a 4'x8' Foam panel on my 5'x10' CNC router. Yes I even had my commercial grade dust collector turned on. OMFG ... you have not lived til you have covered everything in a 24'x20' shop with foam dust/chips that are statically charged and stick to anything.
                          DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR HOME ... your wife WILL murder you.
                          thanks for the heads up

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Didnt get that much done today, just built the side of the slides and with bearings. I got a surprise in the mail today, it was the CNC kit!! i really thought i would receive it at the end of next week but that shit came today!




                            Comment


                            • #15



                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X