X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: The DKOV Thread

Pete,

You betcha! Like I mentioned I have a Berlinetta roof/quarter piece coming out of the mold soon. I gelcoated it tonight and will lay it up tomorrow morning. I will shoot some pics of it as soon as I get it out of the mold. I might even post one up here ;-)

Thanks for the kind words and e-mail me or call any time you have questions. I may not have the answers, but there are alot of people here that are willing to help out!

87ferrari

Leave a comment:

• giveitup2me
    replied

87ferrari,

you couldnt be any more of a gentleman with your email/dialog we have been having.

I appreciate your time to answer my questions and provide pictures greatly!

Pete

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bob,

Thanks for the pointers on the Mirage. I am the one with the kit and think that you have done some great work with your car. I have personally not built one, though I plan to in a month or so. Kind of ironic that I have the capability to produce a kit whenever I want, but have yet to build one for myself. Yes, the headlights can be a bear. The mold for the headlight buckets is for a full bucket meaning top, sides front - all in one piece. I was told that in the beginning that was the way the headlights were built, but later the rest of the bucket was scrapped and only the lid was made and bonded to the factory Fiero headlight. Apparently this made it easier for mounting as the position of the light didn't need to be changed. Now, I am not an expert since I have not built one of my own kits. This information comes from one of the original Mirage sources.

You are right on a couple of the designs problems you mention. There is a slight coke bottle effect in the doors, which is present in the mold as well. This is not near as bad as the IFG kits, but for the true Ferrari purist Jon's kit replicates the real car better in this area. But like I say, for the purist. Dave would probably agree that when he first built his Mirage this was good enough, but then the "sickness" set in ;-) Of course I am just kidding Dave!!

The lines are crisp coming out of the molds for me as I don't sand down any of the parting lines. Maybe some people in the past have gotten them sanded down on the body lines making them appear less crisp. I don't sand or primer anything. I feel that is just hiding problems in the molding process and I for one would want to know about those areas so I could address them instead of dealing with a bunch of unknown Bondo later on - no offense BondoBob! Bondo is fins to use, I just want to know where it is personally. Otherwise on teh crispness I am not sure if that was what you were meaning.

The Mirage is by know means better than Jon's kit. I happen to love his kit. But I can't afford one, so that was why I went after a Mirage. Of course back then, there was very limited sources for the Mirage so you had to pay a premium for it. But now I think I have the price a little more in check for what the kit is and gives a broader sample of kits available for a first time builder. Jon's kit is fantastic and very true to form, the Mirage would be next best thing in my opinion. IFG and the other 1 piece rocker/door kits are down on the list. Just my opinion though.

Any other questions I would love to answer them though. Oh, and no I am not a scammer. I have a 98.5% feedback on Ebay. Not 100% I know, but those negatives were from a very long time ago from people that just plain didn't get what they wanted - not what they deserved.

87ferrari

Leave a comment:

• BondoBob
    replied

OH, I almost forgot,I also built a couple of B&B spyder kits :-\

Leave a comment:

• BondoBob
    replied

giveitup2me, I never mentioned that anyone was a scammer.Funnywhels took some photos of my build progress a couple of years ago.You have to go back to May 21 2004,and look up Bondo Bob Mirage progress report. They wont bring up the pics,but Dave still might have them. The headlight buckets that you get is just an outer shell.You would have to design a way to install a headlight system. Now dont get me wrong,I think its a good kit.Ive built IFG kits,the mirage,and a watson.Im presently building a 512 TR kit right now. Im not looking to get in the way of a bisness deal,maybe I could be of some help when you start your build. Bob

Leave a comment:

• giveitup2me
    replied

bondobob.

I have been in dialogue with the seller on here with the old mirage kits

he has been providing me with a decent amount of pictures and things look good, also judging by ebay feedback, doesnt look like he is a scammer.

Anyhow.

Do you have any pics of a build progress with a mirage kit?

I dont mind going .00000000001mph over a speed bump, i am use to a very low car.

My question is, why is the headlight such a hassle? I dont mind buying oem.

My cousin who build his 355 was from an old IFG kit if im not mistaking. anyhow, i didnt enjoy his kit much, bumpers and quarter were one piece units as well as his front end.

Thanks bob

Leave a comment:

• BondoBob
    replied

I have a Mirage kit.I like it very much,but it has a few drawbacks.First,the lines arent very crisp,you have to make them yourself.Second,the belly of the car is verry low do to the fact that you dont need to shave off the bottom of your doors.To take a speed bump you need to go .000001 MPH or you will smack the rockers.Third,you have to make your rear glass yourself,or buy OEM Ferrari glass.Fourth,the door pannels are sucked in,in the center to give it that coke bottle look.You have to reinforse the inside of the door pannel with angle iron to make it straight.and last,the headlights are a nightmare.Just my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• giveitup2me
    replied

so is this guy scott or what?

i am thinking of jumping on the bandwagon for the kit!

Leave a comment:

• FunnyWheels
    replied

Originally posted by 87ferrari
    Tom, not sure about what you mean by the links you posted but they are both Scott. He does the SCCA rally thing and I believe that is his wifes side of the family he set that page up for.

Dave, you are correct. It is not Scott the crook. We have talked before via e-mail, you sent me a bunch of your old Mirage photos I requested some time ago. Maybe you remember me.
    I remember. So it looks like DKOV is still lurking in the wings.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Tom, not sure about what you mean by the links you posted but they are both Scott. He does the SCCA rally thing and I believe that is his wifes side of the family he set that page up for.

Dave, you are correct. It is not Scott the crook. We have talked before via e-mail, you sent me a bunch of your old Mirage photos I requested some time ago. Maybe you remember me.

Leave a comment:

• FunnyWheels
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Ferrari
    Hey Dave..
    The seller of this 355 kit bought a used Venus-Gusmer Fiberglass Chopper Gun -Pneumatic Spray System on ebay this past week for $900..He must have molds of some sort..

Notice the winner of this auction is the seller of the 355..
    I don't think it is Scott the crook. The eBay rating is way too high for that.

Leave a comment:

• shiroshi
    replied

is this Scott?
    coincident

yes it is: proof

looks like another site he runs: xgamesrally

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yes, I can make just the interior pieces or only a few of them if you don't want a complete interior kit. Not sure how to price it, but I was thinking in the neighborhood of $750 or so? Give me your suggestions, too high too low?? I have an upholsterer as well and can offer it done up any way you want as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ferrari
    replied

Can you make just the console,dash ,and door panels?? You might have a high demand for just the interior pieces..

Leave a comment:

• shiroshi
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Ferrari
    Awesome..Its good to know there is someone keeping this kit going..
    ditto...

if i had deep pockets i get one of each. a convertible for nice days and coupe for the other days.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X