Anyone own a MR2 F355

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a MR2 F355

Just a few question about the conversion. I was thinking about a Fiero 308/328 but I do own a MR2 and wanted to know if it's worth doing the conversion.
    Noticed that Extreme makes a kit and MR2Kits does too. Is one better then the other?

Re: Anyone own a MR2 F355

Originally posted by baggs
    Just a few question about the conversion. I was thinking about a Fiero 308/328 but I do own a MR2 and wanted to know if it's worth doing the conversion.
    Noticed that Extreme makes a kit and MR2Kits does too. Is one better then the other?
    in a way I owned an extreme 355, based on the t-top MR2. It's not the 99% replica that the extreme 360 or 430 is, but it is a great looking car without much body work (compared to other builds). There was a builder/distributor for extreme's 355 in the US some years back so there must be other 355s around. I always liked them, even with the MR2 interior (re-upholstered in a two tone beige/black looks fantastic), and the GTS version looks the best (my opinion).

Best for you is to go to the extreme owners club website, lots of 355 owners there

Comment

Did you take any pics of your MR2 f355? If so can you post them.

Comment

Did you take any pics of your MR2 f355? If so can you post them.
        my 355 only came to a certain stage before I decided to buy a Mercedes ;-) but this is how I wanted it to look like (this is an extreme)
        Attached Files

Comment

Ya, it looks awesome. So you bought an Extreme kit but sold it before it was finished? The guy who purchase it - did he finish it?
          The Extreme kit is around 8K Canadian and that's just for the panels. Starting one from scratch I imagine would be fairly costly.

Comment

I think Extreme and DJ 355 nice replica, professional kit. If anybody want one ugly 355 when search Me, I can make. ;D http://www.ferrarireplika.hu

Comment

Ya, it looks awesome. So you bought an Extreme kit but sold it before it was finished? The guy who purchase it - did he finish it?
              The Extreme kit is around 8K Canadian and that's just for the panels. Starting one from scratch I imagine would be fairly costly.
              Are you in Canada? If so they have a contact there. My car was actually in England, it was a lhd MR2 I shipped to them. It has since been sold

Comment

Hey baggs,
                I have built five Ferrari replicas two of them 355s I did a lot of research on the 355 kits and the Extreme was in my opinion the best by far. If you ever decide to go for a 360 OR 430 I think DNA is the best kit out there.
                you can see my builds at www.355madman.piczo.com
                MADMAN 8)
                aka MADMAN.

Comment

Rob any idea who the contact is?
                  Thanks nutjack, I'll check it out.

Comment

Baggs;

Just sent you an emaill

Cheers
                    Don
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000QV

Comment

Got it Don, Thanks.

Has anyone heard of a company called Exact Replicas? They say they have a 355 kit for the MR2 that is so close to the real 355 that you could use real 355 panels instead of the kit. Saw some pics and it looked pretty nice.

Comment

hiya bud good luck with your choice of kit,they all have shortfalls/pitfalls and compromises believe me,
                        my sons doing an exact right now,hes in the parachute regiment here in uk so his build time is limited,however the things comming together really well.

what i will say is the exstream is nowhere near correct at the back...before others start shouting i will add "IMO"

my sons car uses an oem aluminium engine deck-an oem aluminium front bonnet-i can tell you now for an absoloute certainty that these two parts alone cannot and will not fit any other kit out there.

the biggest compromise on the exact kit is by far the side sills,although the latest exact kit has oem sills moulded into it for oem side profile looks the compromise is that the sills are moulded parts of the doors.

ferrari used to have the sills moulded into the doors them selves on their 348 "i know i owned one",but changed the lines for the 355.

the disadvantage is the sills split as the doors open so anyone would have to say the exstream kit for the mr2 is better,or the ad kit for the fiero again is better in the way the sills mount more as an oem car does,

however the down side about all this is because the sills mount under the mrs doors the overall side view of the car looks far too deep in side profile,look at some pics bang on side on at a height level with the door handles and you will see what i mean straightaway.

the pic of the red car with the gts roof pannel look great,but look at how close to the ground the sills are...the anlge of the pic doesnt show it,in fact it disguises it well,but stand next to one in the flesh and you will know what i mean...then look at my sons youtube video of his exact car driving on grass,look at the oem stance in relation to oem wheels/arch/to the ground,ok enough said ,make ur own mind up on it

ok so now having plugged the exsteme kit and the ad kit now its the exact kit,:
                        because the sills are moulded and sit level with the botom of the car the whole side profile looks bang on "the car just looks sleek and as it should".the car can be lowered to an oem look without having the sills scrape every single hump in the road it seems like a lot of crap i guess but its a major important part of how the car will look/sit and above all "DRIVES"..exactreplicas approach makes it a become a drivable build inseatd of a sit and look ..

ok i know the usual suspects will get all giddy and start throwing teddies but thats how i see it and call it,.
                        anyhow go to exacts website and look up the pic comparisions and make up your own mind,you pay your money and take your choice

rob123 shows the big pic of an exstream and yep it looks a beautiful car,oem wheels an all,just right,but now look closer,look at the ride height above the rear wheel,if you built that car then youd know thats as far as you can lower the thing and have it drivable,any lower and it becomes a real spine breaker!!!!however if back pain and losing your tooth fillings are not going to put you off before you spend your money do a simple thing,measure the gap in that pic from the top of the tyre to the wheelarch,then drop that measurement onto the botom of the sill."yep now you start to see what i mean i guess?..a lovley looking car,looks built well "but then lots of them do!!",but as soon as you saw that ride height looking as it does in that pic youd shout "REPLICA"

goodluck
                        jon
                        oh ps youtube links shows my sons car driving on "FULL LOCK" yep full lock on oem alloys,lowered to 40% of its available travel on tein streetracer coilovers..loads of travel and recompression left "again unlike most of the undrivable ones outthere" ok for an 19year olds first attempt "IMO".

www.exactreplicas.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BESQW1jgo

Attached Files

Comment

Maybe not what you want to hear but why buy a 355 when your money would be safer in a 360 or 430 rep from Dave Jones? MR2kits.com
                          I only say that as if you ever sell the car I think you will get closer to your investment money back (but by no means all of it) if you buy a newer version of a Ferrari.
                          Okay I do like the look of a 355 but I'm also aware of the kicking I would get when I come to sell mine.
                          I think Dave also sells a 355 that might add some more to the equation.
                          One final wild card might be to see if anyone in the uk eBay would be willing to strip down their part finished car.
                          Check out eBay.co.uk
                          Good call posting for opinions as I have heard that some can be a nightmare of post painting cracking.
                          Good luck with your decision and build!
                          Munky

Comment

hiya kester nice to see you o here again and a bloody good point that,id have to agree the dave jones cars take some beating,if i were this new geeza id certainly point him in the direction of daves 430 coupe.
                            hope alls well kester and the 360s going ok??
                            jon

Comment

Very slow but sweet thanks. Envious of your lambo progress. Work and baby are soaking up all my time but the better half has promised me time next summer to get back to work on my car.

Re the thread (sorry for the hijack) I have a v6 converted mr2 and if I've still got it when I've finished my DNA 360, I'll be buying a Dave jones 430 coupe and painting it white. Yum!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X