Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with salvage/bank cars vs. finding local or buying ebay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with salvage/bank cars vs. finding local or buying ebay...

Ok, I'm getting closer to a point where i can actually start up my own build instead of just helping with a crew. I've still got a little ways to go, but i wanted to get a head start on shopping around. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with shopping for a donor online via salvage or bank auction vs. buying local or ebay where you're often dealing with the owner one on one.

Also, if you've looked into similar options, does anyone have websites you'd suggest? I've got my eye on a couple of salvage cars out there that have been listed for a while.

Re: Dealing with salvage/bank cars vs. finding local or buying ebay...

Are you talking about a fiero or mr2 or whatever? I've always wondered about a salvage title. Even though the damaged part of a salvage car might not even be used I've always wondered if it wouldn't be better to not have a salvage title when it comes time to sell. would the savings on a salvage title be outweighed by the lower selling price you might get? Personally I would not commit to buy any car I could not inspect before handing money over. I did buy my murci on ebay 2000 miles away, but not before I flew out and looked it over.

Comment

Originally posted by dratts1
      Are you talking about a fiero or mr2 or whatever? I've always wondered about a salvage title. Even though the damaged part of a salvage car might not even be used I've always wondered if it wouldn't be better to not have a salvage title when it comes time to sell. would the savings on a salvage title be outweighed by the lower selling price you might get? Personally I would not commit to buy any car I could not inspect before handing money over.

Not exactly a fiero or mr2. One of the cars in question was bought by the insurance company because the car sat in a flooded street for like two days. A title will be provided. I'm basically looking at the car for it's frame, it would fit the body i'm getting perfectly, so i'm not going to have to stretch. And if that's the case i could see about using some of the existing wiring, and maybe see if i could strip and rebuild the engine. Otherwise, i might be able to sell off some of it's parts to gain a little cash back on it.

I wouldn't make an offer until i could inspect the car myself. I was thinking about calling up the company and seeing if i could schedule a time where i could go and see the damage. From the outside, it looks like it's in pretty good shape, but you never can tell with the interior, wiring, etc.

Comment

I've rebuilt several salvaged cars; one I bought from Ebay sight unseen (had 3500 miles, so I didn't figure there'd be too many surprises.) Otherwise, I've always bought them at auction from QCSA, which has a location an hour from my house. QCSA.com is their site, though it's changed in the past week; seems they're integrating with someone else.

I suggest you buy one that runs and drives if you're concerned about any surprises that might come up in an inspection.

My Mustang was in a flood halfway up the tires. I just had to replace the interior, and replace the rear brakes, and it was good to go. 6 months later, the clutch slave cylinder went bad (presumably from water damage), and I had to replace the clutch. Kind of a pain, but I got the car for a song, so it's ok.
        Make sure you change the oil before you drive a flood car.

For what it's worth, most banks consider a salvaged title vehicle to be worth 3/4 it's retail value. I usually use the trade in value as a rule of thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by RHK
          For what it's worth, most banks consider a salvaged title vehicle to be worth 3/4 it's retail value. I usually use the trade in value as a rule of thumb.
          The nice thing about the site i was looking at, they gave a price, but they've also said to make an offer, so i can low-ball them a little bit. And, again, I'd have to take a look at the car and make sure it's something that i really want to invest in.

But yeah, good advice, and thanks for the link!

Comment

You can try East Coast Auto Source the are located in VA
            http://www.ecoastauto.com/index.htm

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X