mid engine corvette frame setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid engine corvette frame setup

This guy might be blazing new trails for mid engine corvette chassis setup replicas?

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...=260464&page=2
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Re: mid engine corvette frame setup

Yes, I am following this thread over there. I would really like to see some photos of the whole chassis. I will have to see if I can find some photos of the stock Corvette chassis and see what sort of modifications might need to be made to go mid-engine. Some pics of the complete car would be nice too.

Comment

John at AD I think was originally planning on doing a 360 based on a vette too but not sure what happened to that.

If this can be figured out, what a performance package it would be with tons of aftermarket upgrades and a great modern chassis to work with.

I always thought GM, now Government Motors, should do a mid engine vette with a cab forward design to compete w/ the ferrari/lambo supercar mid engine sector.

Comment

Originally posted by funexec
        Government Motors, should do a mid engine vette with a cab forward design to compete w/ the ferrari/lambo supercar mid engine sector.
        That would be a huge flip flop gamble for GM and more than likely it will fail.

You see thats been done time and time again with mid engined vettes in the past. The Mosler Photon(Uses the LS motor found in the Corvette and it even uses the tail lights and other stuff), SSC Ultimate Aero(Uses a C5R racing engine) The Vector W8(383 L98) and a few others have attempted this and all have come short to the european exotics. The rule of thumb is you can't turn a Sportscar into a Supercar regardless. People need to except that the Corvette has and will always remain America's Sportscar no matter how fast it goes. Thats like trying to turn a Trumph or a Miata into a Supercar. It won't happen regardless. the Cobra was an exception but then again the cobra came out long before the term "Supercar" was even used.

Now had GM released a limited production run of the Corvette GTP in the 1990's that might have worked especially if it was priced cheaper than the Lamborghini Diablo and the Ferrari Testarossa. Now it would be to much of a risk and chances are to much of a joke. If GM want's to be serious about competiting with Supercars I say either A buy out a Supercar company like Lamborghini or Saleen. or B Release the Caddillac Clien. Give it that big V12 engine with 750hp just as the concept intented to have.

Comment

Originally posted by funexec
          John at AD I think was originally planning on doing a 360 based on a vette too but not sure what happened to that.

If this can be figured out, what a performance package it would be with tons of aftermarket upgrades and a great modern chassis to work with.

I always thought GM, now Government Motors, should do a mid engine vette with a cab forward design to compete w/ the ferrari/lambo supercar mid engine sector.
          yeah, one of the times I was at john's he had his mock-up outside. Very nice concept. He had a C5 corvette stripped down and 360 panels loosely mounted. On the C5, it is basically two large square frame rails extending front and rear from the cockpit section. John was going to cut and shorten the front a little and cut and lengthen the rear. It looked simpler than stretching a Fiero based on the way the C5 was made. There was almost no interest in the project so John moved on to the Murcie. I bought the 360 molds when I bought the 355 molds. I have been collecting 430 bits and peices to try and finish it as a 430. Almost everything I do is tube chassis so that's my focus, but the C5 is a good option I guess.

Comment

What are pros/cons of the C5 route vs. tube setup? ease of build, performance, safety, build cost etc???

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X