Hoping to build first kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping to build first kit

New here,and I know kits take a long time and this is why I started wanting to build one before i get my license.I want to build something that looks good,fun to drive,is safe (of course),reliable daily driver,doesn't cost much,fun to build,and something that'll turn heads.I like the DNA 430 kit,but it isn't really something I have the money for.Also was looking at the Reverse Trike T-rex builds and was thinking about building one myself from scratch.Seems like the perfect skill level for me,and I can get parts from the yards in and around my city. Anyone know of any other kits that are great for first builds? no lambo kits please,not a fan of any of em besides the reventon and the aventador. Thanks.

You might keep an eye on places like Craig List. Maybe you can find a kit that was started but never finished and get a good deal on one.
    My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      You might keep an eye on places like Craig List. Maybe you can find a kit that was started but never finished and get a good deal on one.
      I've actually been looking around on there,but I cant find anything that isnt overpriced,I check there and ebay everyday.
      Last edited by Nightmare32; 09-01-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Go with a locost book chassis with a midmount bike engine. It's a good place to start, affordable, and you can make those look anyway you want.

The tadpole is fun too. I'll be working on one using a civic tranny. Also cheap if you try and use as many donor parts as possible.

Here's some clay of mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnipeg-20130409-00137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	375574Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnipeg-20130409-00133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	375575

Mostly civic parts with an electric motor and a rear dually.
        I bleed styrene, bathe in acetone, and sparkle like a Cullen in the sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by trukr View Post
          Go with a locost book chassis with a midmount bike engine. It's a good place to start, affordable, and you can make those look anyway you want.

The tadpole is fun too. I'll be working on one using a civic tranny. Also cheap if you try and use as many donor parts as possible.

Here's some clay of mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24340[/ATTACH]

Mostly civic parts with an electric motor and a rear dually.
          I think I need to educate myself a little more on bikes before I attempt a trike build,but it still looks fun to do,but my main concern is it getting stolen when I drove it to school. Although i suppose a detachable steering wheel kit could fix that.Thanks for the idea though,who knows, that might be what I end up doing

Comment

You don't like lambos? You suck. J/k. Focus on your drivers test first kid.

If you don't want to then the Shelby Cobra is a good starter kit and it's a true kit with everything needed to complete the car. I think they run around mid 20's.

BTW, you won't find anything cheap. This hobby is expensive and time consuming. Two things you can't afford i assume since you're in school. Just get a cheap Honda and stick a 5" exhaust tip on the back like all the other dorks in school.
            Last edited by notnilc20; 09-01-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notnilc20 View Post
              You don't like lambos? You suck. J/k. Focus on your drivers test first kid.
              I love lambos.just not the murcielago or diablo kits. and I actually do know how to drive,I've been practicing since I was 12 and I still practice. And BTW I do have money,I do have a job,aswell as time.
              Last edited by Nightmare32; 09-01-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Its best to start out with a cheap kit like one of those older VW based ones. Insurance will be dirt cheap and replacing parts will be a breeze. Id still say get a daily driver though and then find a replica or a kit.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X