UK - age related plate, not Q plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK - age related plate, not Q plate

When building a replica car on a space frame chassis using donor engine/gearbox/brakes from an Audi, what do I have to do to ensure I can get a plate that relates to the Audi parts and not a Q plate? Would I effectively have to own the entire Audi car and V5?

Also, with it being a replica of an existing car, what will it be named on the V5

IE, I want my replica car on a space frame chassis to have a 56 plate like the Audi, not a Q plate, is this possible legally?

I'm struggling to find a definitive answer online.

Comment

Hi L4mbo

I'm in the same position with my K1 attack.

Basically, if all of the major parts come from one source ( i.e. a donor Audi that you can prove the age of ), then they can issue you with a plate relating to the age of the donor car. There is an official list of parts that qualify, I ll see if I can find it.

If the parts come from a range of vehicles or ages then its a dreaded Q plate for you.

With mine, i'm trying to use new parts ( except the engine ), then I can get issued a brand new reg :-) :-)

I've not got a clue about renaming it on the V5 !!!

Hope this helps ..

Attackbuilde

Comment

Cheers for reply mate.

This the link you're thinking of?
        https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/overview

It isn't entirely clear, as it only states keeping existing plate, getting an new plate by using all new parts, or getting a Q plate, doesn't mention a similar age-related plate.

Donor parts will come almost entirely from the Audi: brakes, transmission, ECU, engine, probably axles, steering rack, etc.

It's a bit of a make or break for me, pointless having a painstaking replicated Gallardo with replicated power to weight ratio with a dirty great Q plate on it. While I would never try and claim it to be a real Lambo, I'd at least like it to pass as one on the road.

PS. I love the K1, quite fancied one for a while but I'm more inclined towards a Lambo replica, but only if it is a very good one and not just a crappy MR2 engine dressed up in plastic.
        L4MBO
        Last edited by L4MBO; 10-14-2013, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I can understand that... I've worked hard to get new parts ( or at least receipts for!! ) so I don't end up on a Q, it'll prob knock 20-30% off the value...
          Where abouts are u L4mbo ????
          I've read some more detailed info on how the qualify it for an age related plate,,, I'll try and remember where I saw it !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L4MBO View Post
            Cheers for reply mate.

This the link you're thinking of?
            https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/overview

It isn't entirely clear, as it only states keeping existing plate, getting an new plate by using all new parts, or getting a Q plate, doesn't mention a similar age-related plate.

Donor parts will come almost entirely from the Audi: brakes, transmission, ECU, engine, probably axles, steering rack, etc.

It's a bit of a make or break for me, pointless having a painstaking replicated Gallardo with replicated power to weight ratio with a dirty great Q plate on it. While I would never try and claim it to be a real Lambo, I'd at least like it to pass as one on the road.

PS. I love the K1, quite fancied one for a while but I'm more inclined towards a Lambo replica, but only if it is a very good one and not just a crappy MR2 engine dressed up in plastic.
            Is your car the one of youtube? RS4 engine?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X