Registering in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering in the UK

Hey guy was wondering if any of you guys knew about how kit cars built on space frame chassis's are registered in the UK.

For example if one was to build a replica of any car on a space frame chassis, but the engine, gearbox suspension and all the other necessary needed parts came from an Audi Rs4, would the replica be given an Audi title or labeled as a kit car?

Secondly, a lot of kit cars around here are registered as a Q plate, is there any possible way to register the car as a 2014 plate (or the same registration plate as the donor car)

I have looked around online for a while and can't seem to find any clear information, there was a thread on here where it was being discussed but there was no clear answer at the end of it.

If anyone has any information on this, please reply.

Thank you.

I'm not an expert, but I think what you need is a VIN number, which according to this page, you can get from DLVA: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
    And then a Basic SVA/IVA inspection under the category of "amateur built vechicles (kit cars)"...
    There are certain rules the car has to meet, but I think there are several guides out there on SVA inspection checks for kit cars...
    Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by xengs View Post
      I'm not an expert, but I think what you need is a VIN number, which according to this page, you can get from DLVA: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
      And then a Basic SVA/IVA inspection under the category of "amateur built vechicles (kit cars)"...
      There are certain rules the car has to meet, but I think there are several guides out there on SVA inspection checks for kit cars...
      Hope this helps

Thank you mate.

Our project car isn't anywhere near as exotic as the cars that are on here, its noway near a super car either, I thought I'd ask on here because it looked like the guys on here would know all about registering cars.

Our project is actually just a MK2 Vw Golf we're building, we have got a salvage (Cat.B) MK6 Golf 2012 plate which can't be repaired and has to be stripped, so we're planning on fitting all the new stuff (engine interior and everything) into the MK2.

The car would consist of original MK2 body panels and tube chassis, since the body is originally Vw, and all other parts are Vw would it be possible to resister the car as a Volkswagen.

I know the project sounds a little crazy and a lot of people would say its a waste of time, but we're all Vw fanboys and its something which will be done as a hobby as well as it being pretty cool owning the only 2012 plate registered MK2.
      harryshah
      Last edited by harryshah; 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure (just because you're changing the engine), but you might be able to do it as a "rebuilt vehicle". It will probably be possible, but you'd have to ask someone who knows for sure... Maybe there could be something in those manuals, but I have no idea...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X