Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slipondajimmy
    replied
    It is cheap looking. I was surprised when I seen it. But then again most of them seem that way. Look at the Grabber cars kit. That looks cheap as well. But I am seeing them being listed for $25,000 when compete. I wonder what they are ending up selling for though

The chassis would look good stuffed under one of them Widow SP1 cars

Originally posted by funexec View Post
    yeah, they need new designers. they have the execution/platform stuff down pretty well. but need the style. 918 and GTM are dated and need refinement. They could really knock it out of the park and sell some serious numbers(even if they do pretty well now) if they had better design. Compare these two to the vaydor design and they are very lacking.

Leave a comment:

• funexec
    replied
    Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
    There's a 818 on eBay

Item 161860984135

Look how amateur and kitcar -ish it looks inside and out . Very tacky and cheap looking

yeah, they need new designers. they have the execution/platform stuff down pretty well. but need the style. 918 and GTM are dated and need refinement. They could really knock it out of the park and sell some serious numbers(even if they do pretty well now) if they had better design. Compare these two to the vaydor design and they are very lacking.

Leave a comment:

• cutlass442
    replied
    There's a 818 on eBay

Item 161860984135

Look how amateur and kitcar -ish it looks inside and out . Very tacky and cheap looking

Leave a comment:

• ArashB
    replied
    Originally posted by fauxknowitall View Post
    The 818 is Engineered to be Bolted together using basic hand and power tools, The body bolts on as separate panels.
    The 818 starts with a full tubular steel space-frame chassis and a modern composite body shape. The 818 will include everything that is needed to build your car with the exception of running gear and parts from a 2002-2007 Subaru Impreza or WRX.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/proj.../what-you-get/
    Thanks for the info.
    Seems like a Boxster donor would come out cheaper with less work. Impreza's here are still expensive, then theres the kits shipping charge. An armature like myself would even need a how to video to assemble the parts.

Heres a side profile re-design with a curvier windshield.

Leave a comment:

• michael Everson
    replied
    Actually if your going to swap the body out, the convertible kit is only $10,000.00
    I thought it might be a nice platform for a Ferrari 355
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• fauxknowitall
    replied
    Originally posted by ArashB View Post
    Oh I thought it was 20k. But you still have to put it together and have some skills for 13k right? Is it all bolt on... no welding involved?
    Too bad Canadian arent allowed to import kits.
    My ideal cheap donor would be a stretched Boxster with a rear cradle having the rear specially wide.
    Factory five racing has a sales program designed specifically for Canadian customers, The parts list is adjusted slightly and is allowed into canada. FFR has hundreds of Canadian customers , even a seperate section on their forum for solving problems. Check out http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...an-Discussions

Leave a comment:

• fauxknowitall
    replied
    Oh I thought it was 20k. But you still have to put it together and have some skills for 13k right? Is it all bolt on... no welding involved?
    My ideal cheap donor would be a stretched Boxster with a rear cradle having the rear specially wide.
    The 818 is Engineered to be Bolted together using basic hand and power tools, The body bolts on as separate panels.
    The 818 starts with a full tubular steel space-frame chassis and a modern composite body shape. The 818 will include everything that is needed to build your car with the exception of running gear and parts from a 2002-2007 Subaru Impreza or WRX.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/proj.../what-you-get/
    Last edited by fauxknowitall; 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cutlass442
    replied
    Does ffr sell the chassis without the ugly body ? Maybe the best route is to use the ffr chassis and donor car and have a talented designer like Matt make a sexy bolt on body t that fits the 818 body mount points

Leave a comment:

• ArashB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• slipondajimmy
    replied
    If you read Bobi's post earlier about planned obsolescence... the problem is there's a monopoly of the auto industry in north America, Europe, and most Asian countries where cars are manufactured. I think I speak for the other "bashing" members when I say we want the best for Factory Five... to break out of the contemporary designs and be already selling hot designed cars that the large manufactures tease with their concepts.

Wow interesting! I was checking out the cars pictures and can see exactly what you mean... the reflection is not continuous just like shown in the images you enhanced. Looking at the side where the number 3 is labeled, those two reflections are not joined, thus grade B surfacing?
    I guess using software to show what called "Zebra" lines is the best way to detect flaws.

Seeing now how the 818 is expensive and the chassis not so exotically proportioned, I think it would be better to put all that energy into a new donor... but if one did want to pursue a great popular kit for the 818, perhaps a slight variant on the 918 design would get lots of backing.
    Maybe post the idea on a large forum or the FF ones to see if theres much motivation for it... heres a sample of a custom design if people wouldnt want a 918 like replica. http://i.imgur.com/6OYB5zR.jpg

818 is expensive? Im not a FF fanboy but you cant call a $13,000 kit car expensive. It is about as complete of a kit as you will get from anywhere

Leave a comment:

• ArashB
    replied
    Originally posted by michael Everson View Post
    Well I don't know what to say after all this FFR bashing. I am sorry I posted this. While all you guy are arguing over a kit car design, I am out driving my 818 and getting thumbs up where ever I go.
    Mike
    If you read Bobi's post earlier about planned obsolescence... the problem is there's a monopoly of the auto industry in north America, Europe, and most Asian countries where cars are manufactured. I think I speak for the other "bashing" members when I say we want the best for Factory Five... to break out of the contemporary designs and be already selling hot designed cars that the large manufactures tease with their concepts.

Originally posted by Bobi1
    It's already in production, and kits are sold from some time.
    With regards to the Class-A surface quality, it's a term in CAD graphics (mostly for car bodies) used to describe a surface continuity with perfectly blended surfaces that will not have any seam, hence the reflections will look smooth and free of any sudden change of light direction. Obviously, Class-A surface continuity is not present in that 3d model in most areas where NURBS patches are joined together. The problem is caused either by using G1 continuity in areas where G2 or G3 is required, or bad modeling technique with improperly positioned surface control points where the spans were moved unequally to each other row. This is most noticeable on the sides of the car. Judging by that particular 3d model, it was most likely created in SolidWorks with basic G1 continuity.
    http://bauerltd.com/photo-album/

Wow interesting! I was checking out the cars pictures and can see exactly what you mean... the reflection is not continuous just like shown in the images you enhanced. Looking at the side where the number 3 is labeled, those two reflections are not joined, thus grade B surfacing?
    I guess using software to show what called "Zebra" lines is the best way to detect flaws.

Originally posted by ZIGGYtheIRISH View Post
    Thats what im saying! since it is only a rebody it wouldn't be too hard either! I have thought about doing a kickstarter to get money and buy a kit to rework it, but i doubt id get support since my experience in this is amatuer i doubt id get many people to trust me with their money. but there's gotta be someone on here with the tools and know how that can turn this around! im just dying to see a redesign from the community pop up on here!
    Seeing now how the 818 is expensive and the chassis not so exotically proportioned, I think it would be better to put all that energy into a new donor... but if one did want to pursue a great popular kit for the 818, perhaps a slight variant on the 918 design would get lots of backing.
    Maybe post the idea on a large forum or the FF ones to see if theres much motivation for it... heres a sample of a custom design if people wouldnt want a 918 like replica. http://i.imgur.com/6OYB5zR.jpg
    Last edited by ArashB; 06-18-2015, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aflo
    replied
    "I sincerely doubt that your comments or anybody here on Mad Mechanics can harm Factory Five racing's Stellar Public Relations (PR)"

I totally agreed and I never suggested that this would happen. On the other hand, I think you will agree that some people get so tied into a company that they will act almost like religious zealots. Anything they perceive as an "attack" can result in a disproportionate response. Whether it seems like a threat to the market value of their product or their rah-rah sense of belonging, I don't know, just that they react as if personally attacked. Of course there are differing degrees to this. To get a little bent out of shape is no big deal, but to send off nasty PMs is another.

Leave a comment:

• sixtencars
    replied
    Quote "The OP and Fauxwhatever are FFR customers, with a direct financial stake in the public image of FFR. The resale value of their cars could rise or fall depending on the PR of the company."

I sincerely doubt that your comments or anybody here on Mad Mechanics can harm Factory Five racing's Stellar Public Relations (PR)
    You must think you are very important and carry a lot of clout.

Leave a comment:

• aflo
    replied
    Kreb, I think all your comments are right on. As far as some people wanting just positive comments, that is understandable but not realistic.The OP and Fauxwhatever are FFR customers, with a direct financial stake in the public image of FFR. The resale value of their cars could rise or fall depending on the PR of the company. I understand that. At least Michael has been a gentleman about it (albeit somewhat of a whiner). Faux has been a total a####@@ and if you don't understand that you should see the PM's this pr@@@ has sent me.
    (I see now that Kreb's post has totally disappeared., So be it. It was a good post with some logical points being made).
    Last edited by aflo; 06-17-2015, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• michael Everson
    replied
    This is just an educated guess, but I bet FFR has the highest percentage of finished kits than any other manufacturer. They are designed and engineered to be built by the average person with normal hand tools. Maybe at a sacrifice of a little "flair". I'm ok with that. I cant tell you how many Lamborghini and Ferrari replicas I have come across that people cannot finish. Doesn't do much good to have a gorgeous supercar that never leaves your garage because you never finish it.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X