Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

I am new to this site. I have been building a 1954 Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing" for quite a few years. I did a search on this site and found some activity with Gullwings however all of the posts were old. Can I get anyone who is building a gullwing at this time to give me a shout and tell me what you are up to?

Originally posted by Gullwing View Post
    I am new to this site. I have been building a 1954 Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing" for quite a few years. I did a search on this site and found some activity with Gullwings however all of the posts were old. Can I get anyone who is building a gullwing at this time to give me a shout and tell me what you are up to?
    Well I guess there isn't much interest in building a Gullwing replica these days. Perhaps a photo of the engine bay might help.
    Attached Files

Comment

Chrysler Hemi?

Comment

Looks like a great project. I would enjoy reading some more about it.

I think your opener reaching out to other gullwing builders is the reason for lack of response. (At least that's how I read it - so haven't commented until now...)

So history of build? A kit or scratch build? Donor car or frame build? Mercedes basis anywhere (so it's a modified merc not a kit car?)

Please tell us more!

Comment

Wasn't there recently a guy that was building a gull-wing out of an slk?

Comment

Let me tell you about my build.
            The body came from a mold off an original car. Some guy in South Dakota made it when restoring his gullwing. It eventually was sold to Gil Locker who had one point worked with Tony Ostermeir. Gil was a kit car builder. He sold a few different kits including a 300SLR. He never did develop the gullwing kit as he sold only the body and a crude generic frame but none of the other parts needed. It has taken me quite a number of years to collect things like glass, trim pieces, hinges, latches. A lot of parts I have had to cast from broken worn out parts bought on E-bay.
            I never liked the frame so have created my own. The original used 1 inch steel tube. My frame is 1 1/2" (38 mm) round steel tube. I copied the original as best I could however the suspension points are different. I am using the front IFS from a Mustang II. When I moved to New Zealand I had to convert it to RHD so out went the Mustang power steering rack to be replaced with a power rack from a Subaru Legacy.
            The rear is a IRS from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe. It has been upgraded with the aluminum case from a Lincoln and the larger brakes and axles from a Mustang Cobra.
            Originally I installed a 5.0 Mustang motor but I didn't think it had enough "wow" factor. Let's face it, at every car show in the US half the car have a small block Ford or Chevy. So I found a 345 Desoto Hemi instead. These engines were great. The first to produce 1 HP per cubic inch ( along with Chrysler and fuelie Vette). Problem with Hemi is weight. So the cast iron intake, cast iron exhaust, iron timing cover and water pump have been removed ( and distributor). I cast my own intakes out of aluminum and am running individual throttle body fuel injection. Coil on plug ignition. Homemade headers. Chevy aluminum water pump.
            The transmission is a Tremec T-56 six speed, brakes are ABS with power brakes from a hydroboost
            The doors will open with a pneumatic cylinder. The hood with a linear actuator.

It has taken me a long long time to do as life has gotten in the way. Now however I am retired and have a deadline to finish to enter a car show April 2017

Comment

Very cool build. Would love to see more photos especially re-creating those original parts. You might ask if a moderator could move your posit to the build section too.

Comment

A post of my frame. It has IFS from a Mustang II and IRS from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe. Some Mustang Cobra parts thrown in.

http://imgur.com/a/9bc3J

Comment

I believe that a lot of us love this car, but there weren't a lot of them available so I for one haven't seen a good one yet

So yes LOTS of pictures
                  Now building in Mooresville NC
                  [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton[/url]
                  [url]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton[/url]
                  [url]http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/[/url]

Comment

http://imgur.com/a/rfHGF

For some reason I can't post a picture from my lap top but it will takea link to a URL
                    Picture of car sitting in garage. Motor in. Has Webers on but these are replaced by throttle bodies an EFI
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gullwing,

Nice looking project you have, I know there are a few members that are going to be watching your build with excitement.

Here is the link that Casper was referring to: http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...g-project.html

Also, here are the pictures you were trying to post:

** No relation to this build, just helping a member post pictures **

-Active
                      CJ

Comment

http://imgur.com/a/5gcv3
                        Some pictures of side window latch and receiver. Vent window pieces ( hinges/latches). Luggage rail pieces. Sending another batch to the foundry

Comment

Hello,
                          is it possible to mount steel MB Gullwings wheels on a SLK based chassis ?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedsterman View Post
                            Hello,
                            is it possible to mount steel MB Gullwings wheels on a SLK based chassis ?
                            I am not sure of the lug nut pattern for the SLK but if it did, and the original 300SL wheels fit an SLK would you use them? I have checked on E-bay many times. Original 300SL steel wheels are usually priced $3,000-$5,000 each. I would say $20,000 is a lot of money tied up in wheels. I am using Ford wheels with a Ford lug nut pattern then attaching original hub caps onto them. <$50 each.

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X