Cost of raw materials for kit body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of raw materials for kit body?

Might possibly have access to a set of molds, and I was wondering about what the raw materials would run to create all the pieces. It'd be a typical-size Fiero kit that replaces everything but the roof section. Thanks!

Bill

Re:Cost of raw materials for kit body?

There are a few ways to do bodies. Some produce them with a chopper gun, others hand lay up parts, others vacuum form parts in a mold process for fiberglass.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are.

If you hand lay up a 355 body (properly like John Watson) you will have about $3,500 just in materials. If you use a chopper gun lay up like B & B Spyder or Jack Lucas, you can spend as little as $1,000.

As a matter of fact, call John Watson, he will be able to give you an exact quote, 706-328-3311.

No matter how you look at it, it is a messy and time consuming process.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

You are going to want good materials, but just as important, it will require the 3 T's.

Time
      Tools
      Talent

For a whole car, figure MANY rolls of fiberglass and a 55 gallon drum of resin.

Comment

OK this is two times in one day but I agree with Dave here; laying glass is a very hard thing to do and very messy It is time cosuming and well worth paying some one like John to do the dirty work for you. Patching a spot or making a small piece is ok but trying to do a whole car more than I want to deal with. but this is just my opinion and to some means nothing but I'm giving it.
        Originally posted by FunnyWheels
        There are a few ways to do bodies. Some produce them with a chopper gun, others hand lay up parts, others vacuum form parts in a mold process for fiberglass.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are.

If you hand lay up a 355 body (properly like John Watson) you will have about $3,500 just in materials. If you use a chopper gun lay up like B & B Spyder or Jack Lucas, you can spend as little as $1,000.

As a matter of fact, call John Watson, he will be able to give you an exact quote, 706-328-3311.

No matter how you look at it, it is a messy and time consuming process.

Dave

Comment

Amen Mike, Nuff said on making another mess in our garages! Besides, our friend John needs the business.

Dave
          If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X