project update......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project update......

Did I mention that I hate sanding?  I mean I really hate sanding!!!  I just spent 16 hours sanding the engine cover and it is not finished yet.  so far I have about 65 hours of sanding into the car and more to go.  This is just the finish sanding part  ughhh...that number does not include the rough alignment and bodywork  The manufacture (IFG cloned) of this kit left a lot of air bubbles that never seen to go away.... It seems that I fix all the one I can see and then when I sand those down more appear. will it ever end???   If all goes well it will be painted by the end of this week.  photos to come soon.....

p.s. my hat is off to all of you body people out there, this is hard work!!

Re: project update......

I had a friend who restored an old Cougar,I saw the car just befor he took it in to be painted, alot of the inperfections come out after primering and painting,even though it looked ready to me,boy was I wrong.You might consider haveing the shop fix any inperfections that they may see along the way (unless your painting it your self)...........................Good Luck
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Comment

I am going to paint it myself, my farther-in-law is going to walk mr through it seeing that he has owned a small auto dealership for over 30 years now and he has always painted his cars.

Comment

I feel for you Glenngdman! I've been working on the bodywork on my 355 kit and its never ending. I thought I'd take on a side job
        to get my mind off my 355 build. What do you know, it was a 100" stretched limo. I spent two weeks sanding that car. 8-10 hours a day
        the car was huge, sprayed it last sunday spent monday and tuesday color sanding and then polishing. I must say it turned out beautiful. ;D
        So I guess, its all worth it in the end. Yeah it is!!

David

EEExotic
        Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Comment

Glenn,I know what you mean about the pinholes.Once you break through the gell coat,all your going to have is pineholes.Once you get the body lined up and bondoed to where your happy (dont wory about the pinholes yet) Give it 3 good heavy coats of 2K urithane primer.Before you block the primer,give it a guide coat,meaning eather giveing it a light spraying of black spray paint or useing dry guide coat (which I use) that you can get from your paint store.Its like fingerprint shit that the cops use when dusting for prints.You will be able to see the spots that are not sanded and you will see all the flaws,inculding the pinholes. Do not sand through the primer.That is your barrier coat to prevent you from opening up more pinholes.Use a good runny polister 2K putty to fill the flawes (pinners) I like iceing,made by USC,dont just fill little spots here and there looking like chicken pox,spread the whole area,use 80 grit to block(again,dont blow through the primer) and than you can give it your final prime. If you heve any questions,please ask.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X