A real Mera is not for sale on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A real Mera is not for sale on ebay

The main difference here is that you did not rebody your Mustang with new body panels that were made in someone's shop/garage etc. All 308 and 328 kits are copies of Mera's. When some made molds they made some changes thinking Corporate Concepts would sue them for copying the Mera. Some made them exact. No matter what you do the secondary molds are never as good as the original molds. There is no control over these copied kit car kits. In some cases copies of copies of copies have been made and the quality of the molds deteriorated quite a bit. I have seen some kits where the quality is very good and I have seen some that were absolutely terrible. Now take the ones that are absolutely terrible and put fake Mera badges on them. Take that fake Mera to car shows and have people say "I remember when these were sold as new cars. I can't believe they were such poor quality". This is the difference between making a fake Judge and making a fake Mera.

Comment

Good point. Those poor quality clones of a clone are a misrepresentation and lead people to believe the real vehicle is of that standard of quality.
      5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Comment

And what the heck is a MERA?  It is a Fiberglass body clone of the Ferrari 308 strapped on a Fiero chassis by GM dealerships. Gee sounds like a kit car to me..
        The Mera was an idea of Bob Bracey who owned Corporate Concepts in Capac, MI. Corporate Concepts did much work on many things like the fronts of RV's for RV manufacturers so they had a lot of experience making things of this nature. Bob Bracey started with line drawings to see how the 308 design would fit the Fiero chassis. They bought an early Fiero to use as a buck to make the Mera. They set it up in a jig the same way a new car is created at GM. Gragg Stalmach who does clay work for new cars at GM came in part time and did all the clay work for the Mera. I have actual pictures of this Fiero with the clay work completed. The only original part is the roof and front windshield. They did have two 308's in there but only for a short period as there was little to gain from them as the body on a 308 is way too different to fit on a Fiero directly. They could only use the look of the 308 as a model. After the clay model was finished the clay model was sprayed with shellac and a master mold was pulled. After this master mold was pulled they had to go back and start on all the inner areas like the sides of the doors etc. This in it's self was a long hard job. Two sets of molds were then made to make the Mera's body panels. They did this because to have a high quality fiberglass shell they used a slow set fiberglass system that was more stable once cured. Bob Bracey wanted to make a very good quality car. Once the Mera body panels and everything else was ready they began to have tractor trailers drop off batches of brand new Fieros right from GM to be converted into Mera's. Once finished and painted they went on to be sold at Pontiac dealers. Once they left Corporate Concepts no other modifications were made by any GM dealer. They were sold as is and were completely finished. Most were sold in Florida and California. No used Fieros were converted and no body kits were ever sold. All Mera's have a V-6. The molds were destroyed in the presence of Ferrari lawyers sometime around 1989 to settle the lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988Mera
          The main difference here is that you did not rebody your Mustang with new body panels that were made in someone's shop/garage etc. All 308 and 328 kits are copies of Mera's. When some made molds they made some changes thinking Corporate Concepts would sue them for copying the Mera. Some made them exact. No matter what you do the secondary molds are never as good as the original molds. There is no control over these copied kit car kits. In some cases copies of copies of copies have been made and the quality of the molds deteriorated quite a bit. I have seen some kits where the quality is very good and I have seen some that were absolutely terrible. Now take the ones that are absolutely terrible and put fake Mera badges on them. Take that fake Mera to car shows and have people say "I remember when these were sold as new cars. I can't believe they were such poor quality". This is the difference between making a fake Judge and making a fake Mera.

Listen to yourself and realize the fact that a Mera Kit car is an inferior clone of a real Ferrari just like all kit cars and from your own words this proves it. It is the same with the AD the best 355 kit out there in my opinion but it is still a copy of a real Ferrari. We do the best we can but all kit cars including the Mera are inferior to the real car. Most of the new 308 kit cars are of better Quality than the Mera because of modern technology. That is why Ferrari hates to see kit cars made of their cars because they are fake's. The bottom line is a kit car is worth what you can get for it and any 308 out there that did not come from Ferrari is a Fake. You do not make sense because you do not live what you preach a Mera is a fake Ferrari period just like a cloned Judge.

Comment

Listen to yourself and realize the fact that a Mera Kit car is an inferior clone of a real Ferrari just like all kit cars and from your own words this proves it. It is the same with the AD the best 355 kit out there in my opinion but it is still a copy of a real Ferrari. We do the best we can but all kit cars including the Mera are inferior to the real car. Most of the new 308 kit cars are of better Quality than the Mera because of modern technology. That is why Ferrari hates to see kit cars made of their cars because they are fake's. The bottom line is a kit car is worth what you can get for it and any 308 out there that did not come from Ferrari is a Fake. You do not make sense because you do not live what you preach a Mera is a fake Ferrari period just like a cloned Judge.

A 355 replica has never sold as a new car at a GM Pontiac dealer. Judge clones were never sold as a new car thru a GM Pontiac dealer. The Mera was.

Here is some Mera info:

http://www.fiero.net/showroom/Mera/

Please read this.

I am only arguing the history of this name plate. You seem to want to argue something else. A Mera is a Mera and a kit car is a kit car and not a Mera. There were 247 Meras made. Some kit cars that had body parts made from molds made from Meras may be better cars. That is not the point here. I have never said the Mera was the best, only the that is is the original.

The bottom line is a kit car is worth what you can get for it

This fact is irrelevant to this argument.

Comment

A 355 replica has never sold as a new car at a GM Pontiac dealer. Judge clones were never sold as a new car thru a GM Pontiac dealer. The Mera was.

Here is some Mera info:

http://www.fiero.net/showroom/Mera/

Please read this.

I am only arguing the history of this name plate. You seem to want to argue something else. A Mera is a Mera and a kit car is a kit car and not a Mera. There were 247 Meras made. Some kit cars that had body parts made from molds made from Meras may be better cars. That is not the point here. I have never said the Mera was the best, only the that is is the original.

The bottom line is a kit car is worth what you can get for it

This fact is irrelevant to this argument.
              A Mera is a fake Ferrari period. If it was an original it would not look like a Ferrari and they would not have shut them down. It does not matter were it was sold it is still a clone of a 308.

Comment

I do get the point of keeping tabs which body was original, as it can prove quality, but aside from that the car is the same as every other fiero, and it isn't an original design as proven in court.

I don't know why we're discussing this. One party wants to bash people selling 308 replicas and the other wants to bash the mera's authenticity :
                Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Please read this.

I am only arguing the history of this name plate. You seem to want to argue something else. A Mera is a Mera and a kit car is a kit car and not a Mera. .
                  If a Mera is not a kit car .. then why the heck are you posting about it here. This is a kit car forum. period. Mera's are "off-topic" by definition.
                  ;D
                  Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Comment

ok, ok, ok

A Mera is a Mera without a doubt; and it could in fact be debated that it may not be a "kit car" as it was never offered as a "kit".

But one thing is for sure, it is indeed a Ferrari 308 "replica" and not an original design.

Comment

Does the window sticker from GM on the window of the car show the Mera added into the cost of the car before the final price?  Or is it an add-on sticker from “Corporate Concepts” that you add to the window sticker price?  Like many vans at that time.

This is not a SLAM only a question.

You say: The MERA was not endorsed by GM but was a Pontiac dealer option similar to that of ordering a conversion van

You can see my car at www.edstephens.com
                      Ed
                      Fino<br />www.feroce.com<br /><br />The National Kit Car Club.<br />http://www.kitcarclub.com/

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=7251

The car is for sale again on eBay. This time from a different seller than last month. Doesn't anybody want this car?

Comment

Yea I don't understand this.
                          Do people buy it just as an ego booster? ???

"Yea I didn't like that Ferrari, so I sold it after a week. Oh yea, look at me, I'm a big man. Those Ferraris aren't good enough for me." :-\

Or possibly everyone that owns it runs into financial difficulties?
                          Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Ok I called the guy who purchased it... He is in NY and only purchased it to turn around and resell it. He got it for $13.100.00 and it is already over 15K.
                            I warned him about the "MERA" word, and he said he would change it tomorrow to reflect it is a Custom Coach Craft body splashed from an actual Mera.
                            I can't believe I am still having to defend this car especially since it is going on 5 months since I sold it...
                            Hopefully this is the end,
                            Harold
                            http://www.texasfieros.com/members/h...ndex/wholf.jpg
                            <br />Photo Gallery

Comment

Harold,
                              I couldn't care less about the whole "Mera" thing. I loved your car since way back when it was in brown primer. It still looked sweet. I just wonder why it goes through so many hands so quickly.

In December I sold and personally delivered my 355 kit to somebody in Michigan and three weeks later it was on eBay. It was just wierd to see "my" car on eBay. It must be like deja vu for you .

Anyway, you did a great job on that car. It is too bad you didn't hang on to it or at least profit a little bit more from it.
                              Regards,
                              Bob

Comment

Yea it really is a shame, it looks great, and unlike many kit cars, it looks pretty stock like it was factory built. Maybe you have another project brewing up somewhere in your head

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X