Fierro v/s Tube Frame Donor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fierro v/s Tube Frame Donor

which is easier to build a G24 or Diablo on?
    The Fierro with the stretch or
    a tube frame chassis using everything from an MX6 <aircon,seats,engine ,gearbox,suspension, brakes,etc.> to transplant into the tube chassis.

what are the cost implications, time, safety, looks, etc.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both options?

ps. i can get a tube chassis with the Mazda MX6 at the same price as of the Fierro. Engine power is no concern to me.

Re: Fierro v/s Tube Frame Donor

From experince on the 355 stretch, which is a lot easier than the Diablo, I would say the tube frame would be easier as it is already set up for the length and suspension, mounting points etc. There is a lot of work at reinforcing the stretch on a Fiero that would not need to be done on the frame and the frame is purpose built for the kit.

On the other side, I beleive a frame would be more expensive in the end run than a stretched Fiero. How much, I don't know but looking at frames coming in around $8k+ or something like that, the Fiero costs you a grand or so and a few hunfdred in metal and someone to weld so for $2k you get the stretch but on a Fiero instead of a purpose built frame.

It comes down to your choice and ho wyou are going to drive the car in the end. If you are going to drive it very hard then you might want to look towad the frame. If not so much and looking for looks on a better budget than original, then the Fiero might be your better way to go.

Go to www.Lambolounge.com and see what others are doing about their Diablo builds and reinforcing.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

It all depends on what you want.

The Fiero chassis would be much easer to regester and insure. As with the tube chassis well its going to be a pain. Performance aspects the tube chassis is much better than a Fiero because thats like a hotrod chassis you can drop almost any engine you like and it will perform like the orginal.

The Fiero means you stuck to GM parts only.
      So whats wrong with a replica?

Comment

What Don said, plus with a tube frame, you're only limited by two things, imagination and money. With a Fiero chassis, you're limite by the size constraints, a 20+ year old chassis design that will inevitably need to be refurbished, and of course, money. There are advatages to the Fiero, too, such as interior appointments and such. But a Lambo is such a large undertaking, you might as well start with the right foundation. I think it was Dale VonBlokland (sorry for the spelling Dale) that said once he was done that he should have went with the new chassis because of all the work put into the old. Also, if you're interested in chassis', there is a fantastic thread at Pennock's on a "Tube frame Fiero'. Lots of pics and how-to.
        Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
        http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

why a mazda mx6 though? i would go for a porsche tranny with a nice v6, because rerouting the wiring and all might come out to the same (you don't just pick up the mazda engine and put it in the back, you gotta redo everything)
          Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

whats Pennocks web address?

AutoMX, can we use a Porsche 944 as a donor? Its front engined, so whar will we need to Mid mount it? Maybe i'll use everything from that donor.

By the looks of things, many are suggesting the tube frame as the Fierro is old and will require much more work. I can get a tube frame with suspension here for about $3500!

Comment

Pennock's : www.fiero.nl

bob
              Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
              http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

the porsche 924 944 and 928 are front engined but RWD, so it wouldnt work for rear mounting it.
                Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Don't forget also with a tube chassis there is all the little things you will need that you don't necessarily need with a Fiero chassis. For instance, wiring, fuel lines, fuel tank, brake lines etc. In the end it will basically be a new car though. You are not likely to insure your $30k+ Diablo replica as a Fiero so that shouldn't be a concern.
                  Rick Lord<br />http://www.kingdomcustoms.com<br />[img]http://www.desertlord.com/galleries/86fierogt/sm/signature.jpg[/img]

Comment

My opinions on it are if its going to be a normal regularly driven car, just for pleasure, Id use the Fiero chassis.

If you want a high performance car that you can get brutish with for fun, go for tube frame. I had a friend that had a Lambo Countach that was tube framed, had a chevy 454 longways in back with with I think a Toronado transmission. It was faster than hell off the line. Spinning 345 tires was ez.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X