Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does market research exist for kit cars in the US and Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does market research exist for kit cars in the US and Canada?

Does anyone know if market research exists which defines the market for kit cars in the US and Canada? Any help will be most appreciated.
    Cheers

Re: Does market research exist for kit cars in the US and Canada?

I've looked into this myself and have not found anyone or any company interested in market research. I hope you discover what I could not.

Comment

Canadian Market
      As the law stands in Canada right now no Kit Cars (assembled) are allowed to be imported except...
      quote:
      Kit Cars
      A kit car is not permitted entry unless it was assembled more than 15 years ago. You will be required to submit proof of the age. Registration documents will have to show that the kit car was registered more than 15 years ago. The date the reproduction was assembled is the age of the kit car rather than the model year of the reproduction.

/end quote:
      Thus your market (building) is limited to inside Canada (small market) or becoming strictly a car parts (manufacturer) exporter.
      This being said some have found loop holes or ways around laws but that route is time consuming, unstable, inconsistent plus expensive. To date I am unaware of any long term full time incomes having been generated successfully for any company strictly producing kit cars in Canada. NAERC maybe the exception, only time will tell, as the trend in the USA appears to be firms of even long standing closing or changing focus.
      Just My 2 Cents Worth Based on Little Fact and Largely Opinion : : :
      [COLOR=#ff0000]
      [/COLOR]

Comment

This rule is about importing an assembled car into canada. What about component based cars?

Question. How hard/easy is it to bring a kit into the U.S. from Canada (at the component level, not assembled)

Has anyone else tried to get market research information on the possibilities of the kitcar market in north america?

What would potential buyers want?

Supercar replica?
        Original designs?
        Daily or quasi daily drivers or week-end warriors?
        Price range for a kit?

Let's share questions and answers!

LarryG

Comment

To do things right, a professional firm would need to be hired to effectively analyize what could be brought to market. As fo yet, no single firm has ponied up the money to even try. :'(

Comment

I'm pretty sure that factory five imports kits into Canada.

Comment

I saw some market research a while ago. The hardest part is that kit car manufactures are not public companies that disclose sales information. Furthermore, most kit manufactures are almost under ground. Read though the horror stroies about people being ripped off by kit manufactures and builders, and look for how many are run in a small shop or home garage. I bet that most of them might "fib" there own sales to the government. I have heard of a couple of manufactures in LA that do not even keep books and are cash only.

As for the number, it is a billion dollar industry. Please note that this is the custom car business, that includes kit cars, but mostly hot rods and such.

Comment

It is true that most kitkar mfg that we see here are small outfits and some are scam operations.

In order to operate in the open, one would have to do an original design or a much altered replica
                otherwise the manufacturers will go after them... and it's hard to give good aftersales support if you
                have to hide your address, tel. no, email, etc., and you spend more time with lawyers (or avoiding them)
                than you put into the design and improvement of your product.

Do you guys think there is a market for a good looking (relative) spots car kit business that would
                be professionally run and have phone support, an address, email, name of the owner, etc!

I'm talking in the price range of "cobras" but mid engine and nice looking. Because, wether we like it
                or not, the cobra manufacturers seem to be the ones offering the most decent packages and we see
                many of their kits being completed and rolling (and not taking for ever to build).

Opinions please as to what would be kind of hot ! ;D

LarryG

Comment

To all who ventured an answer...thank you. It appears to me that I will have to try and do the research on my own.

Comment

Start on Factory Five web site as they have done extensive work with Canada Customs to get their cars into Canada. There is a section on their web site that explains everything for us Canadians. The car can only have up to a certain number of parts installed and there are some parts that are not allowed across the border for whatever reason. It should be a good start for you to see what it takes to get something across the border.

I transported a frame over on a trailer that was pretty much just a frame and suspension and wheels. I almost had to claim that the car would never be driven on the road but the Customs agent could not figure that form out so he tore it up and gave me one that said it was not roadworthy and would need to be inspected before it could be registered. I guess I'll see how that works out once I get the car to the point where it needs to be inspected for safety for registering.

Good luck in the research and if you are willing, post what you find here as I am sure there are lots of people interested in what you find.

Cheers
                    Don
                    308 Ferrari replica
                    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by LarryG
                      Do you guys think there is a market for a good looking (relative) spots car kit business that would
                      be professionally run and have phone support, an address, email, name of the owner, etc!
                      Hell yeah I think there is a market! Look at people importing a NOBLE, buying a Lotus Elise, lusting after a TVR that they will never have. There is a whole Playstation Generation to be had.....or lost forever.

Panoz is too expensive using a cheap Mustang engine/running gear/and other parts for its nearly $100,000 Esperante. Totally unrealistic. I've said for some time the US needs its own TVR/Lotus with cars costing from $40,000-$70,000-ish at the top end. Comparable, and even better performance than Corvettes/Vipers for comparable money....but even more exclusivity. The $550,000+ plus Corvette powered supercar fantasies have absolutely NO market sense and are thus doomed to fail because they are not economically viable. However, a $55,000 "supercar" could easily be hit especially if Trans-Am racing is able to make a comeback and become part of it for easy marketing.

Comment

I do plan to send questionairres to each manufacturer I can find to see if they will provide me with any of their sales data. I plan to offer full anonymity and will give the full results back to any mfg. who will share their info with me. I will also be happy to publish this info on this forum as well.

Why am I doing this? To put together a business plan in order to start my own 'kit car' company. I agree that the perfect, unaddressed market does seem to be in the $40k-$70k, with vehicle that has a roof and can be driven mainly on the street but could also be driven at a track. And the 'kit car' needs to be something that can be put together in a year or less. Unlike some of my friends, I want to race/drive what I build...endless tinkering drives me crazy.

FFR has a great idea with coming up with their own racing series...it is not completely obvious to me, as I read SCCA and NASA rules, that a kit car can easily compete in these series. But..I am new to both of these sanctioning bodies and am still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by cdrjf
                          Why am I doing this? To put together a business plan in order to start my own 'kit car' company.
                          As this is your purpose, and I am not being a smartass, I say to you, "GOODLUCK!" You are a potential competitor and as such, I seriously doubt that you'll be getting much cooperation. I have the same plan as you do, but perhaps you'll meet with greater success than I have in finding information.

Comment

Originally posted by scourge
                            Originally posted by cdrjf
                            Why am I doing this? To put together a business plan in order to start my own 'kit car' company.
                            As this is your purpose, and I am not being a smartass, I say to you, "GOODLUCK!" You are a potential competitor and as such, I seriously doubt that you'll be getting much cooperation. I have the same plan as you do, but perhaps you'll meet with greater success than I have in finding information.
                            Just because I am a smartass and semi-retired I will let him have a copy of a finished "KIT CAR" business plan put together for the Canadian marketplace. If interested in a copy email me where to send it but it will be EDITED somewhat to protect the guilty LOL. No claims are made as to its viablity, usefulness or soundness. Financial projections will not be included.
                            [COLOR=#ff0000]
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

here is a short blurb I wrote on importing cars into Canada that deals mostly with kitcars. You may find it useful, you may not.

http://quintewheels.com/index.php?op...d=30&Itemid=57
                              BinaryWhisper<br /><br />www.quintewheels.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X