X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FerrariXXXman
    replied
    Re: Help with fibre-glass!

Yikes!Transtar? i used that crap one time (or maybe a few t;mes) and it WILL PEEL again if a used with a dark base and exposed to the sun.... trust me, transtar is fine for cars in a garage, no good for direct sun exposure with a dark base. I would feather with 600, clear with ppg dcu 2021. That stuff never comes off like transtar. Transtar is ok with lighter bases, especially parked in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• murcie-me
    replied

Originally posted by Atack
    oh awesome posts guys!!

So really I just need to sand where the clear is cracked / flacking off, then very fine sand it, then clear it, then colour sand (lite sand) after that, then cut and polish etc etc, oh great im going to be having some fun :
    Exactly. Sand what is loose to remove it, then sand the entire hood to enshure that the clear coat is going to stick. Be shure to thoroughly clean before you spray the clear with Prep Clean or something, to make shure that you have all the dust, sanding residue, and oil from your hands off the hood.

Leave a comment:

• Atack
    replied

oh awesome posts guys!!

So really I just need to sand where the clear is cracked / flacking off, then very fine sand it, then clear it, then colour sand (lite sand) after that, then cut and polish etc etc, oh great im going to be having some fun :

Leave a comment:

• murcie-me
    replied

Just be carefull sanding! You only want to remove whats loose. Sanding with 1000 grit is usually pretty safe. It takes off so little at a time that you can watch whet you're doing, and avoid any unwanted circumstances. If you should happen to sand into the CF, dont worry. You will need to purchase some finishing resin (like the kind they put on surf-boards) and apply a coat to the ENTIRE hood after its all sanded. Then you have to start sanding again, the WHOLE HOOD. At this point, 600 grit will suit. Once its all evenly sanded, you can apply 3 coats of quality clear coat (I like TRANSTAR), then let it sit for a week, then do the 1000, 1500, and buff routine. Best thing is dont oversand! You can always sand more if you need to, but its a big repair process if you go through the resin and hit the CF!
    Once the hood is sanded, it will look very dull. Sanding does this. Once its buffed (which is really just sanding it further with very fine grit paste), the shine will come back. DO NOT USE A MACHINE TO SAND YOUR HOOD! You will regret it!

Leave a comment:

• sc80
    replied

Originally posted by Atack
    Hey murci,

If i screw it up (haha) will the carbon fibre actually be stuffed? say I use the wrong git paper and get scatchs etc. will it still look the same once sanded? (sorry if confusing question)
    If u use the wrong grip and rough the surface, u still can clear it off with finer grids like 1000, then 1500 and then final with 2000. minor sanding scratches will lost (or not so obvious) when the clear coat is on later.

Leave a comment:

• Atack
    replied

Hey murci,

If i screw it up (haha) will the carbon fibre actually be stuffed? say I use the wrong git paper and get scatchs etc. will it still look the same once sanded? (sorry if confusing question)

Leave a comment:

• coughinblood
    replied

Nice... The front hoods' gonna look real sweet after re-clear coating, no doubt!

Anyway I am always pleasently surprised how helpful the guys here are...

Cheers to madmechanics.com!!

Leave a comment:

• murcie-me
    replied

Sand it out with 1000 grit, re- clear coat it, sand again with 1000, then 1500, then buff.

Be shure to reinforce the bumper area as you laminate the fiberglass cloth/matting to it. Use 1/8" stainless steel rod bent to fit the curvature of the area, and apply several layers over it. You may want to brace this area back to the frame of the car with stand-offs, so it wont happen again. If its a urethane bumper, your out of luck. I have never seen a succesfull urethane fix that didn't crack somewhere down the line. Best thing is, fix it with bondo, then pull a mould from it, and make a new one that wont crack.

Leave a comment:

• Atack
    replied

How would any of you going about re-clear coating this carbon fibre bonnet?

Also thanks for the replys!!! Gona give it ago this w.e.

Cheers Andrew :

Leave a comment:

• Johnpeter
    replied

I've just purchased a gsr lancer (evo bodykit) and on the bumpers there are cracks, How would you suguest these get fixed?
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Leave a comment:

• FerrariXXXman
    replied

I suspect this is fiberglass bonded to some kind of plastic. If this is the case, fiberglass to plastic bond may not be a good idea just using resin and glass to make the repair. I have heard some folks have had good luck using a product called 'fusor', sold at auto paint shops. Supposed to be really good for bonding dissimilar materials like plastics and glass skirting. Good luck on the repair.

Leave a comment:

• Daleford
    replied

Be sure it is actual fibreglass and not a plastic or urethane of some kind. Grind the repair area of the backside real clean. [I usually sandblast. Use matt / cloth and resin to repair, not a "fiberlass repair in a can" product like Duraglass.

Leave a comment:

• Brastic
    replied

This is a great way to start in the itchy business of fiberglassing. Go for it. Buy the materials, and try to fix the bumpers. Do not worry too much about your first attempt. After a couple of times fixing the same piece you will get the hang of it.

Leave a comment:

• sc80
    replied

1. take bumper out.
    2. paste one or two layer of glass behind cracks.
    3. grind off a little at the painted side that cracked.
    4. bondo it (the grinded area).
    5. fine paint putty, sand and paint.
    6. drive it like a mad-raging-bull-murcielago.
    7. If it doesnt crack again, snap picts and post here.
    8. If it crack, dont get mad at me and then ask someone else ;D.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Atack
    started a topic Help with fibre-glass!

Help with fibre-glass!

Hey all.

I've just purchased a gsr lancer (evo bodykit) and on the bumpers there are cracks, How would you suguest these get fixed?

Whats the process once I figure out how to post pictures i'll upload a few.

Cheers Andrew

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X