355 Replica Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 355 Replica Headlights

It will be interesting to see how the top surface of the headlights and the top surface of your hood line up once everything is bolted on. As always great job Don.

Comment

Wow;

All the way back on Page 4 of the diary.... Better get my A$$ in gear on these.

Small update. I have the 355 back on the ground and pretty level so I can adjust the Cavalier headlight in the pod on the car. This is needed so I can mark the position and then fiberglass the mounts in the place and then make some jigs.

I have had some time at home for the past couple weeks so had some evenings to work on the projects and will have some time coming as well since things are slowing up for summer with all our customers on vacation....

More to come for updates soon.

Thanks
      Don
      308 Ferrari replica
      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Wow;

I haven't been on the forum a whole bunch lately as I have been busy so I haven't been seeing the threads trashing folks. I have been reading some other posts and I am really starting to rethink offering these for sale. I have read how many threads in the past while on here with folks trashing other people's work.

I will build the pieces to what I think is a really good quality and if someone thinks differently, I end up in a trashing war on the forum. I have seen too many of these already so I am not sure I want to get into that at all.......... Some of the threads are brutal so it really turns folks off from helping others out with replica parts etc.

We'll see what I come up with once I am done my set. All I can say is Wow.......

Cheers
        Don
        308 Ferrari replica
        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Yep, I don't even bother anymore. On one hand they trash folks. On the other hand they build up others as geniuses that obviously don't have the knowledge or background to be one. It is kind of like a soup opera.

Originally posted by Don
          Wow;

I haven't been on the forum a whole bunch lately as I have been busy so I haven't been seeing the threads trashing folks. I have been reading some other posts and I am really starting to rethink offering these for sale. I have read how many threads in the past while on here with folks trashing other people's work.

I will build the pieces to what I think is a really good quality and if someone thinks differently, I end up in a trashing war on the forum. I have seen too many of these already so I am not sure I want to get into that at all.......... Some of the threads are brutal so it really turns folks off from helping others out with replica parts etc.

We'll see what I come up with once I am done my set. All I can say is Wow.......

Cheers
          Don

Comment

seems like everybody wants to argue over the most mundane topics. i dont get it. smart remarks and negativity dont help people build cars.

Comment

It does go through stages like this here on the forum. The last big one I can recall on here is the Murci-Me thing, which was a shame because his build diary was invaluable. It is a real shame to see these big kick-offs happen, some of the things said are really awful, nobody would say that sort of thing face-to-face, I'd like to think that most of the people on here would be quite civil in real life.

It's partially for this reason that I'll never put up a build diary of my own - too many people trash talking, abusing and threatening. It's much easier to skulk around in the background and get tips whilst avoiding those volatile few threads.

I for one would love to see how your headlights come out, if it's anything like the other things I've seen from you (albeit in a photograph on a website) I'm sure it'll be fantastic!

Keep it up, let the kids have their fights.

Comment

Don,
                Do not let the negativity of the few spoil it for the majority. There are a bunch of people who could really use these headlights that you are building. The parts you are making are top quality and your customer service will be first rate. Besides you have already done most of the work so why not offer them to the group. I would be the first in line to vouge for you even if you have held my headlights hostage.... Lol just kidding. Seriously, you are one of the good guys in the kit car world.

Comment

definitely! Besides I'm already COUNTING on buying a set from you. I do not want the other lights now that I have seen yours. AT LEAST make enough sets for those that are counting on you finishing this project! PLEASE!!!!

Comment

Don, I don't think that anyone could ever discount the quality of your work. You are not someone trying to just hack parts together to make a quick buck. Your parts are well designed and thought out with high quality execution. I wish I had your skills.

Comment

OK;

Got some time on the headlights this past weekend and built some jigs for the mounting pieces. I have one left to do for the second headlight mount jig but I ran out of metal so I need to get some more and get that done.

I also ran out of welding gas so the last of the jigs are covered in flash from the flux welding. I haven't cleaned that off yet. I may get these powder coated so they stay in good shape long term once I work with them a bit and make sure they are going to work the way I think they are.

I added some positioning flanges to the pivot jigs so that I can put the pivots on to the jig and drill the holes through the fiberglass and metal backing easily rather than having the drill go all over like it did on my prototypes.

I also built my first headlight mount jig. I used the mounting holes for the headlight mount and put rods out to position the headlight mount in the same spot every time so I can fiberglass the mount in correctly each time without having to measure every time.

My plan is to make the top and sides of the headlight buckets in the moulds, take them out and clean the flash off and sand the edges to the correct size and shape, mount the headlight mount and fiberglass that in, put the headlight buckets back into the moulds and add the rear mould plate on and then fiberglass the back plate in as well to create a fully contained headlight. That is my first try. If that doesn't work, I will try to do the full headlight bucket and then fiberglass the mount in afterward.

After these steps are done, I then mount the pivots and push rod plate and then give the buckets a sand and a couple layers of primer and they should be good to go to the customers.

I am still not happy with the actual headlight mounting plate. It is fairly complex to cut out so I may simplify it somewhat but still provide the mounting and aligning points and the rigidity that headlights need.

A few pics showing the jigs.

Cheers
                      Don

Attached Files
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

A couple of the pivot plates.
                        Attached Files
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Great progress Don. Its good to see these coming along nicely. The jigs should really help speed up the process. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Very nice!
                            Can't wait to order a set from you.

Comment

Can't believe it has been another month already. Time flies when you are not around.

I went out tonight to get the other jig built for the headlight mount plate and spent the night trying to figure out how to make a better mounting arrangement. As I started to make a second mount plate, I found that the current configuration is way too time consuming to make and they don't fit very well in the end.

I was trying to figure out what to do as I was building the new template and I think I will go out tomorrow wand get some angle iron or 90* bend sheet metal and the build a template that still allows for all aligning holes and mounting holes but uses way less material and takes a lot less time to construct. I think I will end up welding pieces together rather than trying to cut everything out of sheet metal.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow night but I am off again Thursday for another week so all work stops again on the projects.

You can see from the side by side, my initial templates to trace on to sheet metal don't look the best but provide the mounting and aligning holes I need to make sure everything lines up on the jig and will get glassed in the right spot in the bucket. cutting these out of sheet metal will be way too much work for what they will be doing. The oem mounts were much simpler in the buckets but the headlight mounting was also different.

Cheers
                              Don
                              Attached Files
                              308 Ferrari replica
                              Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

I haven't updated this thread in a LONG time. Since Oct 2010.

Well I haven't totally idle in the mean time.

I have made great progress on the headlight buckets and I am just cleaning up the Driver's side fascia so I can mould it for the Cavalier headlights.

I ended up needing to redo my headlight plate jigs as they did not position the headlights correctly after all said and done. I also made them sit into the headlight buckets a lot smoother and consistently with more setting points so the plate gets mounted the same every time. I don't have any pics of the new jigs yet as they are not 100% complete but they are very close to being ready for prime time.

I have a set of buckets with gel coat in the moulds for my first set of production buckets for Tobygaff who will also be my first fitter to see how it all goes and I can tweak from there. The buckets should be ready by the end of the week if all goes well.

A few pics of the headlight buckets with Cavalier headlights.

Production runs and pricing will come once Toby gets a chance to fit them to his car as well to ensure I got it right or very close to right..... ;D

The fascia picture is the interim fitment where I still have not finished cleaning up the fascia for moulding etc.

Cheers
                                Don
                                Attached Files
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X