Virtual dashboards and data logging from SEMA show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual dashboards and data logging from SEMA show

I found at least three US companies working in this area. PLX Devices, Innovate Motorsports, and Zeitronics, all in California. The platforms are all based on data acquisition technology, with the options for interfaces to most sensors. Innovate makes a stand-alone computer interface for the sensors.

If you are clever at all with computers, you can get a 12-volt PC running XP for around $300.00, an 8" touchscreen from China for around $150.00, and the Innovate interface for $129.00 and you have a digital dash for under $600.00! Now that you have the computer, keep adding sensors and software until your head spins. A/F ratio gauges, boost gauges, brake heat sensors, downforce sensors, even suspension travel using throttle position sensors attached to sway bar end links. Guys like us can even have wireless on-board telemetry like the Le Mans and F1 boys.

I have the Innovate system running on my desk, and will start to integrate to sensors soon.

Re: Virtual dashboards and data logging from SEMA show

I had a post about my idea for a reventon style dash using an ipad a little while ago as it would offer almost instant boot times and with the rite software etc could be interfaced... looks like the guys on the site you gave have gone and done the hard work http://www.ot-2.com/ I figure with this bit of soft/hardware the Ipad could be up and running in minutes, it has its own highres capacative touch screen and could be used as a media hub as well as dash replacement... now to find out if they could do a reventon theme for the gauges and speedo etc lol
    regards pinin

Comment

Take a look on mp3car.com

Plenty of options to throw around..

Had a carputer for an Audi I used to have. Worked ok, but never got the chance to upgrade it

Comment

How do you plan to intergrate any existing sensors?

I've seen a couple of these out there and they all require a 1996 or newer vehicle.

Here is a video that I found a long time ago that shows "what can" be done if a fellow knows his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5i8F4BH424

Don't laugh when you see the Windows splash screen and I'm already preparing for the "Blue Screen" jokes.

I would love to see a couple basic shaped panels (maybe OLED) that would fit into the cluster of most kits and a software development kit that would let us build our own custom screens. Imagine builders sharing gauge and panel uploads and how easy it would be to upgrade to something newer like a Reveton display?

I still think the easiest way to get around the speedometer issues is to go with a GPS based speedometer that would automatically compensate for any gear reductions etc.

Chris

Comment

No-bull,

Very easy. Each virtual gauge can be designed individually. For 1..5 volt sensors (oil pressure and temp., water pressure, throttle position sensor, wide-band O2 sensor, boost sensor, etc., you program the gauge to suit the sensor. For speedometers tachometers or any other revolving sensors, use a Hall Effect sensor (ABS sensor, crank pickup, etc.) and tell the setup for that gauge how many pulses per revolution.

This is perfect for any non-OBD-II car. Mine for instance uses an OBD-I ECM (Ford early Fox body) and an Audi transaxle with digital output only.

It's all in the manual - http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/SSI4_manual.pdf

Good luck.

Comment

Are you are using the existing sensors through the ECU or are you bypassing them and going directly to the sensor?

If a PC drove this, just think how easy it would be to add simple logic for things like spoiler or bat wing lift and drop at certain speeds or temp.

It's also easy to imagine the possibilities for custom splash screens at start-up or turning the screen into a backup camera screen while in reverse. Custom MP3 or wav. files could be triggered from things like door open or lights on, the possibilities are endless.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by No-Bull
              Are you are using the existing sensors through the ECU or are you bypassing them and going directly to the sensor?

If a PC drove this, just think how easy it would be to add simple logic for things like spoiler or bat wing lift and drop at certain speeds or temp.

It's also easy to imagine the possibilities for custom splash screens at start-up or turning the screen into a backup camera screen while in reverse. Custom MP3 or wav. files could be triggered from things like door open or lights on, the possibilities are endless.

Chris
              Correct on all accounts! Nothing needs to go through the ECU. Everything can go directly to the four-channel switch. You can even daisy chain the switches, giving you unlimited connections. Use sensors and switches for anything you want. For almost anything measuring movement, use throttle position sensors, which are nothing more than 1-5 volt pots. Head down to the electronics store and pick up some potentiometers. They come in all shapes and sizes. Accelerometers are $22-30 each and they are also pots that work from 0-3.3 volts.

I installed hydraulic lifts in front so that the front lowers at 90 MPH or whatever speed I want. I am thinking about skirts under the car that actuate at whatever lateral G force I want.

BTW, the company that makes the Mini-touch 700 above also makes a screen with the backup camera feature already included.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X